5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K7, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Pentax K7 Digital SLR Camera (incl 18-55 mm Lens) (Electronics)
As a Pentax SLR user (35mm film cameras) for many years, and owning a number of excellent quality Pentax lenses, the fact that I could use all my old lenses in the DSLR models meant that it was highly probable I would stick with Pentax when I got around to going fully digital SLR. Also, I "just like" the Pentax brand. So, for me, it was always going to be another Pentax. I took a long time choosing the K7, endlessly reading reviews, specification sheets, etc. I'm pleased to say I'm delighted with the camera. There are numerous other 5-star reviews on this Amazon site which go into great, very helpful adn very accurate detail about the pros and cons of this model - I have not read any of those reviews with which I would disagree. This is an excellent camera, and the only advice I would highlight to anyone considering a purchase is to echo a point another reviewer makes elsewhere - this really is a "semi-pro" camera and, to get the best out of it, you really need to have a fair amount of experience of SLRs. That said, you can just about use it as a simple "point and shoot"....but I'm not sure why you would want to spend that amount of cash if you are not going to push the camera's abilities to the limits. Highly recommended, with that final bit of advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K7, 10 Aug. 2010
Pentax K7 Digital SLR Camera (incl 18-55 mm Lens)
Very pleased with camera, competative price and a very quick delivery time.
Been out a few times and great results, controls are easy to follow and can be set to full manual operation or just press the green button to leave it to the camera, this works very well in most situations.
The auto-focus is quick and accurate with very little "hunting".
The kit lens performs well and all of my older Pentax lenses fit, which is a great bonus.
This Pentax gives pro results at a realistic price.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it was designed for extremely well, 16 July 2010
Mr. J. Schick - See all my reviews
I've owned my K-7 for the best part of a year now, and have been extremely pleased with it. Many reviews simply don't seem to "get" the camera's USP, which is a great shame.

The K-7 is about rugged, outdoors, all-weather photography, giving an impressive feature set in a durable but compact body. It's the perfect travel or landscape photographer's camera, incredibly intuitive but best-suited to photographers who like to fiddle and fine tune, rather than people who expect to get the best results at default settings right out of the box. Buy it with the WR kit lens simply to make sure that you have a system that is perfectly designed to cope with the British weather! And that lens is no slouch either: much better build than many other "kit" offerings, and a decent performer too, especially once you move past the widest angles and widest aperture.

This is a discrete camera in more ways than one. The quiet shutter can certainly be a bonus. And it's compact size - especially when coupled with some of the great Pentax primes that it was surely designed for - make you much less noticeable and threatening to the people around you. It's nowhere near as "in your face" as the enthusiast level Canon and Nikon offerings, and for some of us, that is probably an advantage.

If you want to shoot sports at mega frames per second, buy another camera.
If you want to shoot indoors at high ISO in very low light, buy another camera.

But if you want an incredibly well thought-out and rugged camera that is going to spend most of its life outdoors, travelling, hiking, etc, then the K-7 really deserves your attention. There is no other camera that offers a comparable set of features for that market, at the price the K-7 has now settled in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Desirable SEMI-PRO Camera, 23 Oct. 2009
Mr. Hk Wiles - See all my reviews
I have just returned to photography after some years absence and done a lot of research as to which camera to buy. After much deliberation I chose the Pentax K7 . This model competes with the Canon 50D and the Nikon D300s , and offers much more value for the money coupled with backward compatibility with all the Pentax lenses.
It is the ONLY camera to offer full weather proofing of both body and lenses.
The size is small compared to its competitors yet it has solid, robust professional feel to it, and an extremely ergonomical design. I guarantee once held you will fall in love with it. Also the kit lens is arguably one of the best avaible at the current time. I am very pleased with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars pentax K7 digital SLR camera, 19 Mar. 2011
very good product - great value
lots of improvements compares to the K10D (lens, noise, speed, live view mode, auto rotate pictures and movie!)
compact with a good size of grip for both men and women hands (not for big big hands probably)
easy access to all functions
great performances compares to other DSLR cameras (even more expensive)
+++ : weather and dust sealing / body incorporated shake reduction / up to 5.2 frames per seconds
- : image noise when high iso
extra charge : I had to buy a new bigger sd card as pictures and movies at this resolution are obviously big!

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from K100, 20 Feb. 2011
Have had a K100 for a few years. Decided to upgrade. Thought K5 too expensive and for my photography the high iso performance of the K5 is not needed. Like stepping from a Skoda (nothing wrong with Skoda - or the K100) into an Aston Martin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful camera!, 29 Dec. 2010
I bought the Pentax K7 about a year ago and over that period it has been a delight to use and produced some truly excellent photos. It has a compact, rugged and weather-resistant design which makes it particularly well suited for travelling and outdoor photography - which is probably 75% of what I use it for.

In my experience it has everything that a semi-serious amateur photographer is likely to need and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone like me looking for a new DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K7, 8 Sept. 2011
It''s an excellent camera and the pictures are first rate. However there's no doubt it's complicated and it took me several hours of study to turn off the 2 second self-timer delay, and that was with help from someone who has a K20d and has been on a course in using it! It would help if the handbook was a more conventional format. These small thick volumes are a pain to handle and keep the page open where you want it.

With all the technical/automated ability it has, there are still times when I wish it had a "Retro" mode, where you manually twist the aperture ring on the lens and a knob for shutter speed and e.g. red leds show when you are too slow or too fast and a green one shows correct. It's still the fastest way of manually setting a camera with the least chance of missing something when you are in a hurry, as opposed to the actual method of monitoring the readings for aperture, shutter speed and iso number and checking none are flashing. Not always that easy in bright sunlight. I appreciate the vast majority of the time it will probably do at least as well as me when set on Program, but there are times when I have my own reasons for wanting to push settings one way or the other very quickly. I'd also like to be able to turn off the rear display screen.

The lens is a bit short for the use I make of the camera. Personally out of habit most of my shots are probably taken in the 80 to 100 mm range, and for interiors I'd prefer a quick prime lens. I suppose I ought to try it out more and get used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Jan. 2010
N. R. J. Moore (England) - See all my reviews
I have had the Pentax k7 for two months now, I love it.
Every thing about the camera is good, colour reproduction is more than wonderful, handling is just right. All the programs and features work wonderfully. I think some features are unnecessary, such as sensor movement, why not move the camera. But I wouldn't be without my K7.
I did a lot of research before purchasing the K7, Olympus came close, but Pentax won the day.
I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera., 24 May 2011
C. A. Jones (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
I saved up for a new camera for two or three years.I had an Olympus sp560 bridge camera.I wanted a camera that was faster,not too heavily, quiet to use,quality photos and integral stability.Also I take photo's everywhere I go!The K-7 fits the bill.
The K-7 has been used at minus 10,in the snow, in the sun and inside.I am still learning-it will take a while but I have some great shots in my portfolio and I am enjoying it.
Some advice is to protect the screens with speacil screen savers, see end of this review[bought mine off Amazon, top and back screen].Protect the lens with a filter-I expect some of you will be well aware of the benifits of this,- if you drop the lens you may get away with only loseing the filter.
If you decided to purchase this I hope you have as much fun as I have!FoliX FX-ANTIREFLEX antireflective screen protector for Pentax K-7 / K7 - Anti-glare screen protection!