4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but slow.
Published on 18 Feb. 2010 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Image Feature Good - Backup too slow
Published on 19 Nov. 2009 by The Soft Machine Operator

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but slow., 18 Feb. 2010
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product comes with clear instructions on how to use to back up files, photos etc. from your main computer. This is of course somewhat useful in today's download/digital age. I'm sure at one time or another everyone has experienced the sheer frustration of a computer breaking down completely and being unable to retrieve files. In particular for me music is the biggest thing I store on my computer and as everyone knows many download sites simply do not allow the option to re-download their purchases. Of course backing music to individual audio CDs is the best way to protect your purchases, however for transferring them to a new computer that would be an extremely lengthy process. And that is where this product comes into its own. It makes the transfer of data, whatever it may be, much easier between computers.

Where this falls down a little is in the speed of transferring data. This could have something to do with the speed of my computer of course, but I can assure you that on any computer this would be a long, drawn out process. Obviously this depends to a great extent on the memory of your computer and precisely what you want to back-up. This software does allow you to select what you do and don't want to back-up, again an advantage.

Overall if you have even the slightest worries about losing precious data from your computer then this could be just the software for you, provided you have the patience of a saint! ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Image Feature Good - Backup too slow, 19 Nov. 2009
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Perfect Image 12 Backup & Protect Suite (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Easy to use application with a clean user interface consisting of tasks down the right hand side of the window, split up into logical sections such as "Backup Files" and "Restore Files." You can create rescue discs so you can boot into a cut down version of the product in order to restore a backup. The backup image feature is fine and geared towards home use - very little user interaction required.

I found Image creation to be quite fast - an hour to back up a partition of over 100GB onto an external drive.

There's also a backup files features that allows you select a set of folders and filters that will be backed up to a destination drive. This was excrutiatingly slow and I cancelled it before it finished. After 6 hours it still hadn't finished and had a while to go - this was for a 50GB of photos and movie files.

I certainly wouldn't use this for backing up files, but it was fine for creating an image.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not support Vista 64-bit, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Perfect Image 12 Backup & Protect Suite (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Does not support Vista 64-bit. I bought this and it does not install on my Acer Vista machine. The box and details say it supports windows vista but it does not support windows vista 64 bit. I looked up the error showing when i tried to install the software, I was directed to information from the american amazon site where this problem detailed.

Poor description and labelling

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPREHENSIVE, 17 Oct. 2009
A Happy Chappie (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gives every appearance of being a very sophisticated piece of backup software and more than capable of dealing with any backup strategy most home uses will ever need. However, to get the best out of the software you really will need to read the manual. Having said that there are a few points that you may care to be aware of as well.

Using this software, even from within Windows, certainly with Vista and I presume other versions of Windows as well, is like stepping back in time to the days when DOS ruled. Vista wise, on selecting the programme you are presented with a comprehensive list of options in a window including individual file backup - there is also a facility for incremental backup once a complete backup has been achieved.

You can backup to DVD, removable drive, fixed drive or, I guess, a memory stick. Though I think to maximise the programmes abilities, a removable drive of some sort will be preferable. If backing up through windows I suggest that you allow lots of time (hours) for the process especially if you are backing up an entire drive or, even a significant portion of one.

When you first boot up after loading the software, and every time if you leave the CD/DVD in your CD/DVD Drive, the programme starts in `DOS' mode with lots of options. I hadn't realised this and thought I'd lost access to Windows Vista after rebooting twice and getting the same Perfect Image options.

If you leave the programme disk in the computer and boot up then what I can only describe as an old fashioned DOS screen with lots of options on appears. In actual fact the screen isn't that old fashioned as it allows the use of a mouse. The options are designed to enable you to back up/mirror image you C drive so if the unthinkable happens you should be able to restore without too much trouble or hair loss. It also allows indivdual file backup and restore. I haven't tried any of this this in anger as I'm waiting for Windows 7 and will use it then on a clean install. I did set it up to back up out of curiosity and was somewhat surprised to see it wanted to back up 49 gig. I thought I had asked it just to back up the operating system files - I must have gone wrong somewhere. As I said at the beginning, the software seems very professional but to get the best (or anything) out of it one will need to have studied the manual (which is supplied as a hard copy, so that's nice and rare these days). Overall I'm impressed, used properly this should enable a system to be restored with the minimum of heartache; though I think that if you just want to make casual back up's of a few files etc then the backup system within windows will probably do the trick and it's not worth buying this just for that.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS 25-10-09

I have now run the programme from within Windows 7 and it works fine, no problems that I have been able to find. I also carried out a complete C:\ drive backup from the CMOS (DOS) i.e before Windows loaded. The backup size was 8.5 gig and it took about 15 mins which I thought was very good. At the present time I'll have to take on trust that it has carried out the task correctly - to check would mean a restore which, because it took me so long to get Win 7's sound working I'm not inclined to try until I have to :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 28 Oct. 2010
All of them Witches (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of those type of packages that I've never used before but upon using strikes me as invaluable and one which I will certainly adopt as a standard part of my ongoing pc usage.
It is really easy to use and there are lots of helpful 'wizards' I didn't have to refer to the paper instructions to often as the instructions were largely clear and concise. I've used this for a few months now without any difficulty although it does take a long time to perform some actions. I'm not sure how it would compare to other similar products in this regard and it does sometimes dissuade me from backing data up if I'm in a hurry.
I've got windows XP and it loaded up and works fine on this system. There is a also a 'Disk Copy and Clean' element for use in transferring the drive from an old pc to a new one and also allows you to completely erase data from the old system which I haven't had use for yet but sounds like an excellent addition.
In short I really recommend this but perhaps would explore similar software also due to the speed issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars What you need to know..., 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Perfect Image 12 Backup & Protect Suite (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Okay, let me try explain the standard backup proceedure, once you have this software running in a windows enviroment then you will need to create a bootable disk, most backup software that I have tested allows you to make a bootable cd.
Once you have created a bootable disk, it will become your lifeline when and if your harddisk becomes no longer bootable.
The idea behind the boot disk is that it acts just like a recovery console although its operation is basic and whose primary purpose is to start loading a previously saved disk image which is stored on DVD or a spare hard drive back onto your system hard drive, once all the DVD's have been loaded, your computer should then boot into windows following a reboot and walla system good.
I received 'Backup Protect' software yesterday and backed up my harddrive and then from the recovery console tried to restore my computer, well at least Acronis made past the first disk before "internal error" message, this software cant even recover the first 5 minutes of the stored backup! and thats the truth, to make sure I made a fresh backup copy today and same results.
If you read all the reviews here noone has actually tried to recover their backups for understandable reasons so noone has tested this software from start to finish, well I'm a tester by trade and I test things for their integrity.
So...., is there any backup/restore software out there that actually works?

Yes, there is and it's free to down load its called Macrium Reflect and it works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars, I think..., 21 Oct. 2009
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
but I'm not really sure.

For starters, I had some trouble installing the software. The first time I did it the computer crashed though, to be honest, that might have been because of something I didn't do when installing a Norton internet security suite. The second time I tried it went into DOS mode which gave me a shock. I tried using the program that way but it wouldn't save to my external hard drive so I aborted it and had to switch off the computer for several minutes before I could get out of DOS. The third time worked without problems and, following instructions, successfully created a boot disc.

The reason I wanted this piece of software because I hope to install Windows 7 (which should be arriving at casa Williams any time now) and need to copy the hard disc. And that is all. Just a perfect copy ready to restore in case of problems. So, after a couple of false starts, I finally got it up and copying. Now, should you choose to buy this, be warned that it takes a long time. If you set it loose at 10.00pm it will just about finish copying by 8 the next morning. I started several hours earlier, went to bed, and left it running. At four in the morning, my wife (who is not very computer literate) woke me to say that the pc was flashing. As it should be. However, I was wide awake and thought I may as well check it. Turns out it had indeed completed the copy but, for some reason, had started running another separate one. After checking that the initial copy was safe on the external hard drive, I stopped the second session.

There is a lot more to this software than just disc copying as the 170page paper manual which comes with it would suggest -and which perhaps I should have read, in part at least, before starting. The manual itself is clearly written with appropriate screen images and shows how you can do all the other fun things like: partitioning your disc, partial copies, restoring the whole disc or just files or just partial files, manage secure partition, and other stuff I have absolutely no idea about and will almost certainly never use.

All I wanted was to be able to make a copy of my pc's hard drive. Being able to copy files en masse or individually will also be useful. And that is it. But that's just me. You, however, may be delighted by all the other things you can do.

While it isn't too difficult to get the program running, it's a long way from being idiot-proof and the instructions could be made simpler. The same can be said for way too many other pieces of software on the market and this grumble isn't aimed at this one in particular. Although we've come a long way from the incomprehensible technobabble of early manuals and onscreen information, it could still be better.

So, to my less than adequate eyes, this seems a comprehensive and relatively straightforward piece of software which does do what it's supposed to do and is tentatively recommended with the proviso: (unlike me) read the manual basics before proceeding. I haven't tried the restore function yet and when I do and if it doesn't work, expect a post script to this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product even for beginners, 1 Dec. 2009
Mrs K. A. R. W. "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I rarely come across a computer program of this type which I would be willing to call superb, but I really have to say this one is. And certainly in comparison to some of its other "solutions" Avanquest have got this one nailed much better.

This is a Suite of programs comprising Data Backup (including drive/partition image), Data Restore, Disk & Partition Management, Disk Copy & Clean & Program Management. It comes with a superb manual that not only gives solid instructions on how to run the programs but also really well written documentation on important things to understand about partitions and disk structure in general, which is vital to understand when it comes to one of the softwares greatest abilities - cloning a hard drive. It cloned an 80 Gb SATA drive (with 3 partitions) in a Dual Core 5200 2.70 GHz processor PC, in just under 22 minutes, which I feel is fairly fast in comparison to the time it would take to copy files across manually to a new drive in Explorer.

For all tasks, the instructions are clear and easy to understand, even for those with limited PC knowledge. And if you do run into problems, for most tasks there's either a Virtual mode which ensures you can set up your tasks and review them before actually applying them, or else you can undo most operations.

It has Wizards for almost all tasks which make running them so much easier, and many can be done so without needing to refer to the manual at all, as the instructions are so good. Backing up data in particular is extremely easy, and allows for the safest tier type of backup (Grandfather,father,child system) and any other usual form of backup you prefer (incremental, differential etc). Backups can be made to other drives (internal or external) or to a network source. It also has a SecurErase facility to erase ALL data completely and fully from a drive, which is hugely useful in these days when people are trying to be careful about their data.

I ran the program both in XP and Windows 7 and had no problems with either installation which was fast, or utilising it, in either OS. The manual is just so clear and well laid out, most people shouldn't have any great problems using any aspect of this program's many functions.

As yet, in 6 weeks worth of using it, I've not found any cons - not saying there aren't any, but just that for me personally, it hits all the right buttons.

So if you are someone who wants to ensure the integrity of your info by undertaking regular backups or even more tedious, if you want to move your data to a larger drive without worrying about reinstalling your operating system, etc, then this is absolutely the product for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good backup solution and works with Windows 7, 18 Oct. 2009
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finding that Acronis True Image 2009 was not going to work on Windows 7 from the manufacturers after a failed attempt to use it on Windows 7 RC1 had me considering an alternative.
A 30 day trial download of Acronis 2010 did work but seems to have become less user friendly over the versions tending to try to automate everything.
The interface on Avanquests Backup and Protect Suite Version 12 is clean and crisp with the minor criticism that immediately you may be confused by the Drive labelling. Instead of Drive C: and Drive D: you will have Basic Hard Disk 0 and Basic Hard Disk 1 (this being the motherboard connections).
The choice of language throughout compared to Acronis True Image is rather technical with the backup wizard asking you to choose a mapped drive or local partition to store the backup. What is wrong with suggesting a Drive letter ? An estimated image size is given and clicking Next gives the impression that routine full backup to an external hard drive had taken just a few seconds.
In fact a message appears asking you to now click apply on the tool bar to proceed with the horrifying prospect of about 6 hours estimated. This quickly re-assessed to 1 hour or so and returning to the computer later there was no message such as "Backup Completed Succesfully" leaving you unsure of the result. In fact it had created an arc folder on the destination disk. Again it would be more useful to label this as something to indicate what it is.
To ensure that it worked I restored to a different drive and it did so perfectly but again without any confirmation messages.
In comparison to Acronis True Image I wish it was more user friendly as it seems to be a good product.
The extra software bundled with it is DiskCopy & Clean.
This moves all your data, applications and Windows to your new hard in one easy step. Plus, if you have partitions on your old hard drive, they can be moved and expanded proportionally to your new hard drive.
You are prompted to create a boot up CD and on two of my Dell Computers it reported Disk i/o error..sector not found and failed to load. On a Sony Vaio PC it worked as far as getting the interface loaded but as yet no tests have been completed.

4.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive - but the interface is good, 3 Nov. 2009
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a comprehensive package, which aims to make the back up of your whole HD including operating system a relatively painless affair. It also comes with 'disc scrubbing' software as a bonus. I used it with XP and Vista to create boot discs - which it does easily in a couple of minutes. I then did a backup of a newish (and clean - 45 gigs) laptop - again pretty straight forward using the wizard based front end. What I haven't done is actually restore from these disk images (it involves reformatting the existing hard drive) - so I have to take on trust the verification that the software can carry out to tell me its been done successfully.

I got quite excited at the prospect of the software doing a secure partition at the click of a button. Having run it and disappearing into some fairly scary looking DOS screens - it emerged intact. The disappointment is that the partition can only be used for the backups. Well I think so anyway. The manual which comes with the single CD ROM is long and I just haven't got round to wadeing through it all. Set aside at least an afternoon to read it - and then some. This is not going to suit anyone scared of detail. So on balance I think that this could be a bit over complicated for most peoples needs.

The other main use for the software is the cloning of a hard drive - for instance when you want to replace an existing drive with a newer / larger one. This solves all the hassle of having to install from scratch.

All in all a very useful and comprehensive disaster recovery suite, with the added benefits of disc cloning and cleaning. The incremental back up is a good time saver. The printed manual is a bonus - but make no mistake it will take some time to make full use of the whole package with confidence.

Perfect Image 12 Backup & Protect Suite (PC CD)
Perfect Image 12 Backup & Protect Suite (PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Windows Vista / XP)