5.0 out of 5 stars Home cured bacon heaven
Published 5 months ago by Bearman

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Product was fine but took nearly two weeks to arrive.
Published 3 months ago by Russell Humphreys

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Home cured bacon heaven, 16 July 2014
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
Once apon a time you could buy things like salt petre in your local chemist/pharmacist. When I recently decided to have a go at curing my own meats, I went for a walk around my town visiting the chemists and got responses ranging from dumbfounded looks of confusion, through questions like "Is that a new scent from Calvin Kleine?" to a line of questioning that clearly indicated that the pharmacist thought I was trying to make explosives.

So I turned to trusty Amazon (can't think why I didn't start here first) and quickly found this supply at a reasonable price.

After placing my order, the package was quickly delivered, but when I tore open the envelope, the salt petre poured onto the floor. The product was packaged in a flat plastic bottle which was placed in a padded envelope. Somehow, in transit, the lid had come off the bottle and the contents were loose inside the envelope. I contacted the supplier and they immediately sent me a replacement bottle with apologies. So I am happy to report that the supplier is excellent and I will order from them again in future.

As for the product - well this is the first time I have used salt petre, and being fairly new to curing meats, have little to compare it to. I can confirm that when making traditional corned beef, the end product is a lovely pink colour, whereas when I have made it in the past using only normal salt, it tends towards the grey. Similarly, both homemade pastrami and homemade bacon both have that appetising pink colour (the main reason for buying this product). As for its antibacterial properties - well I have submerged beef in a brine with this salt petre for just over 2 weeks in the garage (not refrigerated but reasonably cool) and no one got food poisoning, so it certainly works.

As I final word - if you haven't tried homemade bacon, then this should be reason enough to buy salt petre. You coat your pork in a rub of salt + salt petre and whatever aromatic flavours you fancy, and then stack it up in the fridge. The curing process draws out water from the meat which is the very opposite of commercial bacon where water is forced into the meat. The difference in flavour is just astounding. You know instantly that this is something different when the frying pan does not fill with that unappetising opaque water that comes out when you cook commercially made bacon.

5.0 out of 5 stars salt petre, 2 July 2010
Ms. J. Berry "Mydogsmyfriends" (sheffield united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
Great product. Arrived almost the next day and very secure packaging. Pity the postal amount cost twice the price of the product but otherwise no complaints. Will buy from again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt delivery, 31 Dec 2011
Mrs. D. M. Hughes (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
I was so glad to find this product online as I thought I would have trouble getting some. I use it for a spicey beef recipe handed down from my late father in law who was a butcher, I finally used my last salt petre before xmas and thought it would be the last time I could do it, so I'm very pleased to have found some, altho in small quantities.Very prompt delivery too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curing Agent, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
This is a difficult product to buy on the high street, however a few clicks and it was on its way. used immediately - there is enough in packet for 6/7 curings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
Needed this for making home cured salt beef - great product and has worked perfectly on the beef. Now going to use it for biltong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Salt peter for curing, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
We used the salt for the first time and were very impressed with the result. We will use it again to make that perfect ham for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars own Curing?, 21 May 2014
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
we bought this to attempt to make our own bacon. good size for us as this was a trial run. Bacon was great and still have enough for the next batch we make. fast delivery - reccommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
Excellent product and very good results with the beef and bacon we have cured.

5.0 out of 5 stars salt beef, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
product used in recipe for salting beef, what else is there to say?...excellent product perfect for intended use.well pleased 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars wierd and wonderful, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: SALT PETRE FOR CURING AND SALT BEEF RECEPIES 4OZ
who would have thought that something used to create explosions would be so useful in the kitchen. It certainly extends the life of cooked meat dishes should you need it. I put a tiny amount into some dishes I prepared for Christmas and they saw us through the holidays with no deterioration in quality or flavour. The next thing I will try is salt beef.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›