Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 February 2011
Having numerous recordings of this symphony in my CD collection(12 in total) I was hoping for something very special from this performance. As soon as the 1st violins start playing the harmonic A, at the opening, I knew I was in for one of those listening experience that does not happen very often these days, with recorded CD's. As the first movement progressed, I felt that I was being drawn more and more into the music, as if hearing it for the first time,( which was over 40 years ago). The remaining movements are all played with the youthful vigour, that is such an important element of the whole work and at the end of the symphony I did, as the audience did, clap and only wish that I could have been there to enjoy this performance live. No matter how many recordings of this great symphony you have in your collection, you will find room for this one, it might be the only Mahler1 you will need, where you will be able to listen to it, over and over again and always find something new in this great work.

`
on 14 August 2015
I find this well above average. Of course the superb recording is first class and lets you hear so much detail and richness. The Pittsburgh orchestral playing is world class. Wonderful! The interpretation I would not presume to compare with the many available. We all have our own idea of what we like. What I can say is that I find nothing that spoils the listening experience and some turns of interpretation that impressed. Over-all this stands high amongst my several versions. Five stars from me.
on 3 July 2012
I entirely agree with the previous review. This performance is very fine indeed, thoughtful, attentive to detail, clear and played with a commitment which is admirable. To mention just one element: I can't recall hearing such a vivid and well-articulated horn trill - marked as a trill in the score(in the First movement.) This is certainly one of the most satisfying and exciting recordings of this work. Try it and you'll return to it. The applause is retained and rightly so for this recording. (The title 'Titan' still continues to be applied on recordings with this symphony. Mahler removed it and it should not really be there.)