Most helpful critical review
9 of 10 people found the following review helpful
NOT for beginners
on 6 October 2011
First the good bits:
* A very challenging routine which complements my twice weekly ballet classes.
* A decent mix of exercises from barre (or chair) to floor and abdominal work. If you are looking for a good core workout DVD which isn't Yoga or Pilates this is a quite enjoyable alternative.
* Elise is very presentable and I liked her words of encouragement (although I note from other comments this will be a matter of taste!.
The not so good bits:
* I note that Elise is an experienced instructor in areas such as Yoga and Corefusion, so therefore it was particularly disappointing (not to mention potentially dangerous) not to see a proper warm-up session.
* It was also disappointing not to see a section explaining how to engage the core muscles - not everyone will have had previous dance, pilates or yoga experience. Indeed the main part of the technique is to correctly engage the core muscles partly so that you will have correct balance for the exercises and also so that you can properly workout the abs.
* There should also have been a prior section on dos and don'ts regarding the plies and rond de jambes - inexperienced exercisers will risk serious knee injuries! (I am glad that she didn't do the full dancer's turnout as this would also have been dangerous for novices).
* I know it wasn't meant to be a DVD teaching proper classical ballet technique but the hand and arm positioning did get to me after a while!
* An interesting and challenging set of exercises to engage the experienced exerciser (i.e. has some knowledge at least of pilates or ballet)
* Not for beginners