5.0 out of 5 stars I'll take a potato chip ... and eat it!
All of these reviews are about the anime, so I'm going to write about the DVD box set contents, so people know what they're getting for their money. ^.^

* The Packaging:
The box set houses 9 thin DVD cases. Each DVD has a different character printed on the cover, and is 'dedicated' to that character i.e. most of the artwork, galleries & voice actor...
Published on 26 Jan. 2010 by Jo

3.0 out of 5 stars Death Note Complete series (37 episodes)
This story starts when a school kid finds a note book that a Shinigami (God of Death) has dropped in the world for a human to find. The Shinigami dropped the book on earth in the hope that someone would find it and use it. The idea was that the Shinigami's "life" would be less boring as the Shinigami would find the events that unfold entertaining.

A...
Published 11 months ago by Chockobo

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype., 1 April 2012
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Light Yagami is a brilliant young man with a great future in the police force ahead of him. He's talented, handsome, and committed to the cause of justice. One day his life suddenly changes when he discovers a magical note book with the power to kill anybody he wishes. All he needs is to know their name, and to visualise their face. That's all it takes for Light to begin his killing spree. Light, now publically going under the pseudonym Kira, sets about ridding the world of all the criminals that are holding the decent folk back. Unfortunately for Light though, his plan to create a new world isn't going to be as easy to accomplish as he hopes. First he must contend with the brilliant and elusive L - a crime-solving mastermind who will stop at nothing to bring Kira to justice. The two geniuses pursue one another in an epic cat and mouse game.

A very pleasant surprise, this one. When I saw the covers to the Death Note DVD boxes at my local HMV I thought that I knew what to expect:

"Aha! This is a pretentious load of emo teen tosh!" I might have declared. All the signs were there: gothic aesthetics and two gloomy protagonists - one of which was devilishly hansom, and the other was pasty and sported what appeared to be eye-liner. Yep, I thought that I had it all nailed in an instant. I was wrong though.

Actually, this show is pretty much the opposite what I expected. It's not overly sentimental or pseudo-intellectual, and nor is it insulting in the slightest. In fact, the series is uniquely restrained in many regards. It's utterly gripping too. Think Infernal Affairs, but more cynical and less cheesy.

Before I continue, let me just go on a bit of a detour: some time ago I was watching the TV series Dexter, and I found myself a little dissatisfied with the whole thing because I felt that it never had the courage to live up to its own premise. The psychopathic anti-hero claims to be bereft of sentiments, emotions, or compassion; his whole persona is false. If you think that you like Dexter Morgan, then you've just fallen into his trap. The truth is that there is no real Dexter Morgan, just a drive to kill and a facade that disguises that fact. And yet, despite this intriguing premise, the show constantly puts Dexter into a position where he has to save the day for reasons that are never precisely clear. If he's really the unfeeling, calculating, monster that he claims to be then why is he in such a hurry to save the hostage? And so it seemed to me that Dexter was a series that feigned subversiveness, but ultimately still fell back on the same old tired formula. Dexter was transformed from a truly sinister anti-hero into a more conventional "dark" or "edgy" hero, ala Batman.

With that minor detour out of the way, I'll get to the point: Death Note is precisely what Dexter never dared to be: it's a series about a real sociopath who can't be trusted in anything he says or does. We may admire Light's brilliance and his talent for manipulation, but it's never once suggested that he's actually "alright" underneath it all. Dexter was a decent guy pretending to be a monster pretending to be a decent guy; Light's not a dark hero though, he really is terrible to his core. The viewer may find himself sympathising ever so slightly with Light's goals (a world without dangerous criminals? Who wouldn't find something appealing in that idea?), but that's not the same thing as sympathising with Light himself. He remains at a distance from the viewer. Moreover, the show never makes any attempt to explain or excuse his behaviour. There's no tragic back story. Sure, we could infer something like "his father wasn't there for him as a child" or suchlike, but the show makes no attempt to push that stuff down our throats. I, for one, find that very refreshing and admirable. In addition to never trusting Light, the viewer is never quite sure to what extent they can trust his opponent, L. How much do we really know about him?

The show is consistently fast-moving and tense. It never once slows down for a recap episode or one of those irritating "back story" sections that I mentioned before. Nope, it's just one long and furious battle to unmask Kira, with the stakes rising ever further, and the amount of duplicity reaching almost farcical levels before the end.

I would highly recommend this show. If you're not a fan of anime then don't worry, because this series avoids most of the pitfalls that other anime shows tend to fall into. The price for the box set isn't bad either.

Of all of the movies and TV series that I've picked up over the last year, Death Note would have to be one of the best and most surprising. Believe the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars a masterpiece till the very end, 6 Feb. 2012
A. Timer (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Death note is one of those series which is just simply amazing. This is one of those animes which anybody (even if you've never watched anime before) can enjoy. Mainly because of the Physcological battles between main character but also for the action, suspense-filled moments. This anime is a clear all time favourite with majority of people and i think anybody would tell you this.
The story revolves around the genius high schooler called Light Yagami. At first glance, he seems to be your great, perferct hero; has perfect grades, heck he can speak english greatly too!! He has a perfect family too (his fathers a police officer). But one day, he founds a 'notebook' on the floor, which was dropped by a shinigami, his (and also the shinigami's) "boring" life is gets quite interesting.
The English sub and dub are both excellent (Yes, the english dub was great for this anime, especially Light's and L's english voice, loved them both).
There are 37 episodes, divided into 9 volumes all of whom have 4 episode in each disc/volume(except the last which contains five episode). There is also a cool illustration booklet which i found extremely useful, for example, when a character was introduced, i would look at their character design and 'familiarize' them with myself.
all in all, this is a must get anime for ANY anime fan. Many people think that Near and Melo (you'll know them when you see them ;D) are not as good as their mentor, but i don't believe that. They were just as good and i think Melo was really Badass. Even though Near does come of as a spoilt little kid, he is one clever little dude and i think they both (together) surpassed their 'mentor'
Anyways, i hope that you love this series because the author of this series have done a miraculous job with it, and they deserve a lot of credit for this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death Note (Box Set) - Fine anime., 23 Mar. 2010
S. J. Fisher "Hecate" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This is a long series (37 episodes) and the first episode didn't really fill me with enthusiasm. However, as an anime fan I continued to watch it, and was surprised at how quickly it hooked me after that.
The plot is clever, gripping and generally well structured, while unexpected twists make it seldom predictable. It does fall away from these initial high standards during some of the latter episodes, but the quality of the series as a whole is little diminished, The dialogue is intelligent and both it, and the occasional narrative information, display a subtle, often dry and sometimes flippant sense of humour. I should say here that I almost always watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles - I don't know what the dubbed version is like. The characters are intriguing, plausible and often react to events in unexpected ways which are, nevertheless, consistent with their character.
The animation and character drawing is certainly competent, although for general scenes fairly basic and unremarkable - one of the reasons I didn't get into it straight away. However this only serves to highlight the high quality when they pull out all the stops, which they do quite regularly, both for lengthy scenes, and for short, intriguing actions or camera angles. The artwork has a similar approach, and varies from the unremarkable to the superb.
The soundtrack is good, and although the opening song is not to my taste (but there's no accounting for taste) the rest of the music is well-chosen.
This is good quality entertainment - as good if not better than most television drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death Note Complete Series Review, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent anime to watch if you like something that is thought provoking! Death Note is about a notebook which can kill people, and has certain rules to it. Once the main character gets a hold of the Death Note, they begin to deliver their sense of 'justice'. Eventually the police catch on, and the hunt begins! The main characters must always be one step ahead of one another in this thrilling anime! Though, I have to admit that by about episode 29, the anime goes a little bit downhill, but, picks up again, but, not to the same level in my opinion. The soundtrack is very good as well, but I have to admit it does become very repetitive as themes for characters and situations are reused over and over again throughout.

I highly recommend all fans of anime to watch this! Even if you are new to anime, the drawings are very well done. I have been able to sit with my mother and watch this! (Though she does not like the drawings very much, as she prefers Disney).

Other than that, there isn't much I can say without spoiling the plot! So watch it and find out! I promise you will be on the edge of your seat with most of the episodes ending on cliff hangers! I was a little reluctant at first when I first heard about the plot, but when I actually started watching it, I couldn't stop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Originality at last, 6 April 2011
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Deathnote is by far the best anime i have seen in years. Its got a fabulously good story, pitting to amazing minds against each other, its like a modern day Sherlock Holmes Vs Moriarty. The story twists and turns pretty much in every episode you never know when its going to throw a curveball at you.
The animation is superb, the soundtrack is a perfect match.
The characters all fit together well and you don't feel that any are unimportant, you just care about everyone in it and thats hard for an animation to pull off, most live action films cant do it either so its really rare to find something like this.
What i liked most about this was you know that Light is pretty much evil but you dont want him to get caught and you find yourself willing him on even though you shouldn't but thats what is so interesting about this story, you find you can discuss it with your partner and have a good old talk about the morality of it all and not take it too seriously.
This is truly a Gem, a pop culture classic and should grace every home in every land. I would pay double the amount for this and not feel cheated, in fact they shouldn't be selling it at this price, its far too good to be sold for that. In my opinion anyway, for what its worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great show which you just wished had more episodes, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this years ago on the internet and I stumbled upon it on Amazon and thought to my self "I really wanna watch this again as I enjoyed it"

As said I enjoyed it, I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not a huge fan of manga and anime, I was a big fan of pokemon in my youth but that's it. However this series is so good that all things you have against it will minimize... It's a great story and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth killing for, 3 Nov. 2011
D. Kracht "manga maniac" (amsterdam, the netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I once got a copy of the deathnote manga and wasn't particularly charmed by it.

However, when in Japan I stumbled across a copy of the first episodes of deathnote on DVD and bought it.
From the moment I watched it I was hooked!
The sheer brilliance of the idea, the way the characters where put. It is utterly brilliant.

The story is as follows:
The brilliant but bored student, Light Yagami, finds a deathnote.
This is the book of death of a Shinagami, a god of death. If you write someone's name in it, this person will die in 40 seconds. There is a little more to it, and there are more rules, but this is the basic idea.
Ofcourse he doesn't believe it, and decides to test it. It works.
He then decides to create a utopia by killing all the criminals in the world.
However, an equally brilliant guy, who goes by the alias L, sees a connection between the apparantly random deaths and decides to investigate.
A cat and mouse game, and an odd friendship starts between the two.
There are a few sideplots, but the game between L and Yagami is the basic story line. Eventually it comes to a showdown at the end which was a slight letdown, but the series (about 32 episodes) is excellent.
worth buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Dec. 2013
SuziB - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Purchased for my Daughter (at her request) for Christmas, the whole family is now enjoying Death note every night! We're on episode 19 already! Can't wait to find out whether Light or L "wins" in the end! Having to display extraordinary levels of self control to stop us watching the whole lot in one go! A 42 year old Mum who's re-discovered her love of Manga/Anime thanks to the Death Note series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and simple, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
As all the other reviews are very long, I've decided to sum it up.
It's a great series, my first manga one in fact and I honestly loved it. Didn't know what to expect but the concept is so wonderfully brilliant and weird and twisted that I couldn't stop watching.
If you're looking for something interesting, thought provoking, fun, scary, heart wrenching, and just insane then give this a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wow, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I could spoil the plot for people but i wont ill just let you know what your getting for your cash, 9 discs each with 4 eps in english or japanese or jap with english subs. Right from ep 1 im hooked this has to be one of the most well thought out animes of our time,nothing is as you expect but be warned if your dont buy this ill right your name in my death note

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Death Note Complete [DVD]
Death Note Complete [DVD] by Shusuke Kaneko (DVD - 2009)