4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect
Eventually selected this Garmin after looking at a lot of other GPS units.
I've used TomTom for years, so my main decision was whether I stuck with them - or finally bit the bullet and tried out another manufacturer.
I'm used to TomTom's UI - but every extra feature seems to cost a fortune and I loathe their customer service.
Quick summary - I'm glad I...
Published on 7 Jan 2010 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi
I purchased the Nuvi as a present to replace a Travel master that was quite out of date and kept loosing signal all the time.
This unit is clear, finds a signal quickly and doesn't keep loosing it.

However I find that sometimes near really close turnings/ busy intersections it doesn't give its instructions early enough for you to be clear where you need to...
Published on 16 Feb 2010 by E. Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 1490 T Portable Satellite Navigation with Bluetooth (Electronics)
Great value. Good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Left stranded in Italy when it went blank for no reason!, 31 Mar 2010
To save my time I will just say please read the reviews under 1 star. They are true! the flaws are very clearly explained but the main problem is when it shuts down without warning. The last time this happened to me I was in Italy and traveling back to the airport. Luckily it was well sign posted so we didn't need the sat nav. DO NOT BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Sat Nav., 10 Feb 2010
R. H. Rees (England) - See all my reviews
A brilliant sat nav. I did a lot of research and waited a long time before I finally decided on the Garmin. I'm not at all disappointed and glad that I waited. Really easy to use and set up. It has a large screen, which is easy to read, especially for an old chap like me! At least I don't get any back seat instructions now! :-)) Great!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 16 Jan 2012
Lego Man Mk. II - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This satnav is not fit for purpose. The unit itself looks and feels good, and the mount works well. The cable is very thick and a bit cumbersome. The menu is OK and the interface is fine, but it is a bit tedious - it takes four taps on the back arrow key to return from some sub-menu to get back to the map view - that is not, in my view, acceptable. It is most tedious.

Now on to my major gripe: the routes are terrible. I kid you not - this unit brought me down some very back roads - there was even grass down the middle of one road. The routes are a joke. On one very familiar and main arterial route, it proposed to bring me off a wonderful EU-funded Irish main highway in order to take me on a backroad to go home... Why would you do that? This unit was on the default setting when this happened. There's really no excuse for that. The maps were updated and are fine - I was pleased to see that the Irish road network around Navan, Meath had been updated, since a lot of roadbuilding has been going on there over the last few years, and the traffic safety camera alerts are spot on in both Northern and southern Ireland. However, the routing is below par and I cannot now place my trust in this unit - it has let me down in a familiar area, so how could I trust it when I am in unfamiliar territory? It seems to favour 'short-cuts', whereby you leave main roads in order to go down back roads, which are windy and poorly surfaced and in some cases, even have grass down the middle.

So what has this unit giving me? Stress, frustration, annoyance, and it has taken me along a few roads that I've never been on before, and, unless I am doing a country tracks tour, I won't need to go down these roads again.

Let's have a look at some comments I sent in an email to my brother about this satnav (forgive the poor typing!!!):

''i used the garmin for the journey home... it brought me along the sensible route, until, along the main cavan-derrylin road, it wanted me to turn right, and go through butler's bridge-newtownwbutler... now why oh why, would a person turn off a snazzy EU-funded road to take a backroad? why garmin, WHY?????

So, how reliable is this satnav? SO it gets a familiar route wrong - could you trust it if you were in a strange place?''

I am very disappointed with Garmin, and in future, I will be returning to Tomtom. I have experience with both and have to say that Tomtom has superior user interface, and smart routes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't find satellites, 6 Oct 2011
This is the fourth GPS unit of various sorts I've bought. Out of the box this unit simply refused to find any satellites. Took outside, didn't find anything after five minutes. Repeated further away from buildings - nothing. Repeated several times - nothing. Took in car - 1 red bar, once went up to 2 red bars, then after 4 minutes back down to 1 red bar and asked whether I wanted to continue looking for satellites. Took out another GPS unit to the same locations, found multiple satellites and a strong signal after 90 seconds. Owned previous GPS units, even faulty units pick up more satellites than this does. Returning to amazon, regretfully, as the best GPS I've ever owned is a garmin and bought it on part with that in mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 28 Mar 2011
I was really impressed with the spec of this device and everything was ok until the voice came on. It was very distorted as though it was a faulty speaker. I turned down the volume which didn't help and I went online and updated the software-still no good. As this is the second one I have returned with the same problem I can only assume they all have the same fault which is a shame but I couldn't stand a long journey with that distortion in the speech. I have asked for a refund and shall look at other manufacturers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Sep 2014
Very nice thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Dec 2014
really helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug 2014
as described

5.0 out of 5 stars If it made a cup of tea it would be perfect!, 18 April 2012
Great product which I snapped up at a bargain price - beats my previous Tom Tom XXL even without the TV function. TV works well when you have a decent signal and 50 channels is a good choice!
Overall reommended especially if you get it in a sale!