on 9 September 2009
My 9 year old son, was given this toy to trial before the release date, he absolutley loves the gun, the rapid fire action is a winner with him, his 15 year old brother also loves the Nerf as well as all the adults who have seen the gun.
There is a good range on the dart tags when fired and they can easily reach the end of our garden which is about 80ft long, the dart tags are very easy to load, and the gun very easy to fire.
Its not too bulky for storage and being able to buy replacement dart tags is a bonus, as even though he has been careful to fire the darts only in the garden some have been lost.
Even though the darts can be fired over a long distance, they do not hurt you if you are hit by one, which is probably highly likely if your boys are like mine!!!
My son has shown the gun to his school friends and everyone likes it, 2 of them have actually pre-ordered the gun before the release date.
If you are thinking of purchasing this product I would highly reccomend it, you will be buying a quality product with a proven track record, that is easy to use, and will provide hours of fun, for anyone from 8years to adult.
on 18 September 2009
My son has had this gun for a little while now and he absolutely loves it. He is 8 years old and I would say its ideal for this age group upwards (I wouldnt put an upper age limit on it as his dad seems to have just as much fun with it !!)
From a mums point of view I think its fab as its not noisy, doesnt take too much storage space up and doesnt take batteries so theres no ongoing running costs with it.
Can be used indoors or outdoors and can be played with on your own or with other people.
It must be good for coordination in terms of practicing shooting at targets (we use empty cans).
Seems to be robust and good quality too.
I think it will be a popular item on boys Christmas lists this year!
on 14 January 2010
I bought this for my Nephew for Christmas despite reservations about the glorification of weapons and war amongst Children but peer pressure has that effect on kids so we grudgingly agreed.

The Nerf gun seems to be pretty robust but time will tell. It certainly coped well with Boxing day use by me and my Brother in law much to the disgust of my nephew (who's present it was!) and after being shot at in rapid fire (despite our lectures not to shoot people) my nephew confiscated the foam bullets and magazine. I think we were one step away from being sent to bed without any tea!!

Overall it was a lot of fun, despite being accurate and with some velocity the bullets don't hurt on impact, even at close range. Even though I accidentally got one in the eye.

Construction was good and solid.

Smile factor on opening of present :) :) :) :) :)

Summary: So long as the child understands that this is a toy and should be treated as such and guns should be treated with respect then this is okay for a child.
But my hoover doesn't and niether do my teeth dude! Bought this for my 12 year old for christmas as he was after a Nerf weapon. This is a well built piece of firepower indeed. It holds and can fire at a rapid rate 36 foam, rubber tipped darts. They don't hurt at all if they do hit you but obviously don't fire at anybody's face. The gun is pretty long at about 2 feet and holds a hefty magazine that the darts are loaded into. The removal of the magazine is quite hard I would say and may have to be done by an adult as it's a really tight fit. You have to pump the handle to reload then pull the trigger to fire and you can do this to your hearts delight for upto 36 times untill the darts run out and you have to pick them all up to refill your magazine. It is a quality toy gun. It's good for about 15 feet I would say and accurate for around ten feet. I've told my lad if he dares to fire at my ugly mush I will bite the rubber tip off the dart because I'm nice like that! and failing him picking the darts up after a rapid fire attack my hoover will polish them off nicely! Now that's good parenting, who needs supernanny! So the gun is very good fun and well built, no problems with jamming or anything here. A good product!
on 5 June 2010
I bought this nerf gun for myself after seeing some of my friends who owned other models (maverick and vulcan).

It's a great toy, fun to use and most importantly safe, the drum clip is great and although unbalances the gun offers added protection in shoot-outs.

My only criticism of this gun would be that it is not quiet, but its only a toy and I expect the moving parts to mak some noise. For those who want to improve the quality of their nerf gun's I suggest google searching "nerf haven" it's a forum for all things nerfy, anyway in the forums section you can find out how to modify your gun to improve it, and it makes a difference trust me. For video guids just type in "nerf raider mod" in youtube and there are loads of videos that can guide you through some easy modifications.

That aside, its a really fun toy, easy to use, a perfect gift for 6 to 16! I mean this comes from experience: even boys who think they are grown up will still enjoy a good pretend gun fight.
on 6 November 2009
My son has been desperate for this toy for a while. It's bigger than I imagined and certainly bulky, probably a little too difficult for an under 5 year old to handle. The loading cartridge takes a bit of getting used to but overall this rapid fire toy does exactly what it says - fires soft foam bullets with rapid fire, they don't hurt if you happen to be in the path of one or six, and I'd say it's only negative is that it's very bulky. Refills cost too, so foam bullets ought to be retrieved and saved to avoid forking out for refill packs.
on 26 December 2009
Great fun for kids, young and old! Get one each for each of your kids and let rip! Worth investing in spare ammunition, as we lost half of ours in the very first day!
on 8 May 2010
when i first got the raider cs-35, i got the darts all shreaded up in little peices!
it jammed all the time, i couldn`t even fire!!!

but then i got new darts, it never jams at all!!!!!!!!
i also got cs-6.
theyre both gr8!
on 27 October 2010
This is a great 'Boy's toy', but it is all too easy for the darts to get stuck in the barrel and the loader, especially in the hands of an 11 year old. I have already had the screwdriver to the loader twice and had to use two chopsticks to unjam a dart that was stuck in the barrel.

But my lad really lvoes playing with the gun, and shooting his little sister has never been so much fun. The positive side to this is that I check with mum first to see if this was a sensible toy, and secondly that sis hasn't complained once about being shot at.

Other than the darts getting jammed, this is a great toy.
on 18 January 2011
Great toy my son saw this in he shops and wanted it, got it much cheaper here and my son and i ;) have had loads of fun with it... go get one!