4.0 out of 5 stars Still crossing over, 6 May 2006
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Country trio Rascal Flatts have thus far been giving us an album every other year, and judging from their last two albums, have perfected the formula for hitting the coveted number one spot.

On this fourth album, first track "Stand" is definitely single material, and is an uplifting song with an inspirational message:

"Every time you get up and get back in the race
One more small piece of you starts to fall into place"

First single "What Hurts the Most" is about the good old country theme of love and loss, and is sure to be a hit with fans of the genre. It is clearly the best song on the album.

Most country groups like to include a fun song with a kickin' beat, and on this album it's "Backwards", but there's also "Yes I Do" with it's funky reggae beat - yes, you read that right - reggae - how's THAT for crossover? Another upbeat track is "Me and My Gang" which mixes rock, funk and country. This track is unfortunately one of the weakest tracks lyrically speaking, but has a catchy intro and chorus.

The rest of the album is made up of slow tracks, one being "I Feel Bad", the others being "My Wish"; "Pieces"; "To Make Her Love Me"; "Words I Can't Say"; "Cool Thing"; "He Ain't the Leavin' Kind" (how's that for a typical country song?) and the maudlin "Ellsworth".

This album tries to strengthen Rascal Flatts' claim as a country band by including lots of similar sounding slow songs (too many in my opinion), but still comes over as crossover rock in disguise. Not a bad album, but doesn't have the strong track line-up of possible singles as the other albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same...but what did you want?, 29 April 2006
A. Skarzynski "bisonkid" (London) - See all my reviews
Rascal Flatts defined their sound and their success with their second album "Melt". Their self-titled first album was a little too pop, but "Melt" showed that mixing straight country with boy band aesthetics, production values, wardrobe (& make-up) really could work. The follow up record "Feels Like Today", delivered plenty more CMT hits, but it didn't really offer anything new and possibly felt a little less convincing than "Melt".

"Me and My Gang" sees the Rascals experiment with some reggae inflections (Yes I Do), out and out rockin' honky tonk (Backwards) and even sees them crowbar some country sincerity with a weepy ballad about Alzheimer's disease (Ellsworth). Despite all this it feels like very familiar territory - and that's what you are probably looking for - more of the impeccable vocals, A-grade song-writing and sweet production that makes RF such great band despite the cheese.

Yeah, I know they are disgracefully corny, but listen to the track Ellsworth and tell me you don't believe they are sincere?

Contemporary country may be polarising along the traditional vs. pop battle lines, but given that Big & Rich and Cowboy Troy have redefined what out & out cross over might mean, I would argue that RF are actually pretty true to the old skool - good songs, well played and sung. Ignore the fact that they aim their work at teenage girls - there's some substance there somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must buy this CD!, 4 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Me And My Gang (Audio CD)
I first saw Rascal Flatts on American Idol and I loved the song they performed so much I bought this CD. I think their music is a fantastic fusion of contempory country and western and rock. Think Keith Urban meets Bon Jovi and you won't be far wrong! With fabulous ballads like "Words I couldn't say" and catchy upbeat numbers like "Me and my gang" and the fantastic "Backwards", you will definately be singing along and dancing around your kitchen/bedroom/living room! A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Me and My Gang - Super!, 5 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Me & My Gang (Audio CD)
I have only known of the Rascal Flatts for a short while, but can honestly say they are a refreshing country group! Their music is wonderful and very easy on the ears!

5.0 out of 5 stars rascal rock!, 15 Feb. 2007
J. Trott "monkey jim" (essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me And My Gang (Audio CD)
one of the best albums i own! never heard of them until "what hurts the most", then decided 2 buy the album on hearing it. recomend it 2 anyone whatever their taste in music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these guys!, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Me & My Gang (Audio CD)
Have wanted a Rascal Flatts cd for ages and just never found the one I wanted. (It had to have My Wish and Life is a Highway on it) so very happy when I found this one. Didn't know any of the other songs but this cd is now one of my favourites. The lyrics are always so good and their music stirs my soul. Never thought I'd be a Country fan, but now I'm hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, great price, 12 Jan. 2013
The seller ensured the disc was in perfect condition so it plays smoothly. The disc case itself has all the album artwork included too , which doesn't always happen these days.
The album itself is fantastic. The music is toe-tappin-finger-snappin good!! All in all a good buy for a good price :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 22 Sept. 2011
Anita Weedy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me & My Gang (Audio CD)
Not their best album, but still good. Love their version of " What hurts the most", Have 4 albums now and great songs on every one. If you like Keith Urban you will love these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasure, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Me & My Gang (Audio CD)
Excellent CD - my daughter says it's her 'guilty pleasure' - don't think I should ask more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Me & My Gang (Audio CD)
Bought as a gift brilliant group!

Me And My Gang