5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant
Having several camcorders ranging from SD MiniDV through DVD to SD card based my search for a true 1080 HD device led me in an unexpected direction once I'd seen the HDR-TG7VE. Although there are a number of 1080 HD camcorders available now, I ruled out HDD based camcorders as well as any any disc based immediately due to their fragile nature (especially with children)...
Published on 24 Aug 2009 by Mr. Eiren O'keeffe

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS GOOD AS THE MODEL IT REPLACES IMHO
NOT AS GOOD AS THE MODEL IT REPLACES IMHO, OK it has GPS, BIG DEAL, CAN YOU REALLY NOT REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE !!! Must have been a great holiday or night out !!!
So why do I say it's not as good, easy the superb Dolby 5.1 has been removed and as I have a Dolby sound system at home this is a BIG no no. So buy a used TG 3 instead.
When the TG 3 first came out it...
Published 2 months ago by Christopher W. Brierley

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS GOOD AS THE MODEL IT REPLACES IMHO, 28 Aug 2014
Christopher W. Brierley - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Handycam HDR-TG7VE High Definition Flash Memory Camcorder With 16GB Internal Memory (Electronics)
When the TG 3 first came out it was the worlds smallest full HD camcorder, it is not now, but it does have X10 optical zoom, not the inferior pixelated digital zoom, which its smaller cousins have. The TG 3, despite being several years old at the time of writing this review, still has no suitable upgrade I know of, thus saving me money.
The latest Sony super small full HD camcorder is waterproof, but sadly has no protection for the very sticking out lens, see Sony GW55VE Waterproof Full HD Flash Memory Camcorder. WHY MAKE IT SHOCKPROOF AND WATERPROOF AND LEAVE THE LENS TOTALLY UNPROTECTED. THE TG 3 HAS AN AUTOMATIC LENS COVER.
ALL of these small camcorders shoot fabulous footage of blu ray standard, in fact they are blu ray format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, compact CAM, 10 April 2011
I love this device. OK so you sacrifice some functions the bigger devices have but i can carry this in my pocket without issue. The image quality and zoom is awesome. Very good sound from build in mic. Put a 16GB card in as you have hours of storage - carry a few batteries with you though. Essential item and stills are pretty good to!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality HD Camcorder, 29 Sep 2010
I had been after the Sony Handycam HDR-TG7VE High Definition Flash Memory Camcorder with 16GB Internal Memory for well over a year now, but the orice kept putting me off until now. The price had been reduced so i bought it straight away and have not regretted it yet i highly recommend it you need to spend time to learn everything the camcorder can do and then you will see the benefit. I am taking this with me on next holiday in November to give it workout i know it won't let me down, the picture it takes are not the best but i never bought it for that reason i have 2 fantastic HD digital cameras for taking pictures. You won't regret buying this at the new lower price but spend some time learning what the camcorder can do before jumping in at the deep end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some reviews are suggesting, 25 Oct 2009
Well, having read the reviews here, I was quite excited before receiving this camcorder. I bought my last camcorder almost 10 years ago and although it was cutting edge then, I had expected some real steps forward with this new Sony. I was surprised to be slightly disappointed.

Sure the GPS function is a great feature with auto time adjustment, so no more recording with out-of-date time stamps. The auto smile capture is real joy and effortlessly takes perfectly timed, happy pictures. The 16Gb internal memory is fantastic; no more managing of DV tapes. But quite honnestly...I think the improvements stop there.

Now for the disappointing things. The Operating system style and dynamics have hardly evolved at all. The touchscreen lacks sensitivity and with the slightly sluggish response from the OS, is actually quite frustrating. To page through all the options takes forever scrolling down the page - no Apple iTouch screen scroling here. The camera seems to toggle from filming mode to non-filming mode at the strangest of times. This wouldn't be a problem, but everytime it toggles the lens cap clutters open or closed in a quite disconcerting way.

All of this I guess is not too important since the camera remains quite fit for purpose and does film really very well (although the quality has not improved that much over 10 years).

Where I am less forgiving is the PC and PS3 integration. All I can say is "rubbish". Come on Sony it is possible to do better than this. There is no native USB connection - Sony provide some flimsy adaptor for this. You can't just connect the PC to the camera and pull the pictures off. Similarly you can't just plug it into a PS3 to store the films there. You have to jump through hoops using some rubbish software that comes on a DVD - nonsense. Also daft, is that you have to open the screen flap to switch on the camera when connected to the PC or PS3. Surely this could have been done passively in some way.

So on the whole, this is a good device. I don't know if it is better or not relative to the competition but it is certainly nothing like as refined as I had imagined given how many real quality electronic devices there are on the market these days. Sony seem a little stuck in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars seriously good camcorder, 31 Mar 2010
I. P. Cheneour "paul cheneour" (Dover UK) - See all my reviews
The Sony Handycam HDR-TG7VE High Definition Flash Memory Camcorder with 16GB Internal Memory is a seriously good camcorder so far it has worked so well in giving us fantastic HD film of a number of concerts. Truly delighted with the complete package.

3.0 out of 5 stars You cannot write files to the Camcorder., 25 Dec 2009
My last was a Sony and the tape eject mechanism died some years ago. Nevertheless I do go for Sony Toys so decided to look around for a HD model. I read the reviews and read some more and it seemed to be what I wanted. Which was, a solid state digital recording device which would enable me to record and store HD files on a large Hard Drive. And when, not too long in the future, BlueRay recorders come down in price then off load onto Discs.
I also bought the Sony Movie Studio 9 to create Movie masterpieces. The intention was to record, clean up with Movie Studio 9, store on Hard Drive and put it back onto the HDR-TG7VE and watch on my HD TV as required. But not straight forward, firstly, taking the files off the Camcorder onto PC is straight forward, Movie Studio 9, seems ok, but you cannot write the files back to the camcorder! Even though the Sony software PMB that comes with the Camcorder says you can but when I dug deep into the camcorder manual which covers both TG5VE & TG7VE on page 32:
"You can export High Definition image quality from your Computer to your camcorder (HDR-TG5E / TG5VE)"
There may be a way of getting the files from PC to the camcorder by using an external memory card and buying a reader and putting the movies directly onto it...more money.
As for the other features, GPS etc. not sure yet, I spent my time trying to overcome this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handycam, 6 Jun 2014
What can I say! Great buy, small handy and portable great condition as well as service, ordered Tuesday the 3rd and arrived Wensday the 4th what's not to like! 5 out of 5 for the item as well as the service. Get in there! I'm one happy brother. ID london

5.0 out of 5 stars Really handy cam, 14 Nov 2012
W Castle (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Brought this to replace my old tape camcorder, it's really easy to use and fits in to most pockets, great to have a GPS function which means you can put your pictures on a google map and see exactly where that strange photo was taken, we have lots of fun and all the family from 5 to 65 have managed to produce pictures and videos with ease

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 25 Feb 2011
I owned a Sony DCRIP7 but found the whole process of converting from tape to dvd a real pai. This new camcorder from Sony has cured that and made it a pain free process.
The quality is amazing when played back through an hd tv.
Im really pleased and cannot recommend this camcorder enough! Buy it now you wont be dissapointed

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the previous model, 24 Jan 2011
I am disappointed to note that although Sony have added 16Gb of on-board memory and GPS over the previous model (HDR-TG3) but removed Dolby 5.1 audio recording.