Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 1 January 2006
If you have never listened to minimalist music this should be your point of departure. I have played this CD to the unsuspecting, as background music, and in the process won over the even the most ardent sceptics.
on 17 December 2003
This album is a mixed selection of Glasses works. I loved everything after the second track. The first two tracks sound to me like it was wrote for some 1970's experimental modern dance production and for me I really want to skip past them to get to the far more timeless compositions which compose the remaining tracks. I really dont think I could recommend this album as an introduction to Glass and minimalist compositions.
A far better option is Minimalist, which also features other composers in the genre (Adams, Reich and Heath).
on 8 May 2009
While the CD does contain some great Glass compositions, it is by no means essential. Glass Works may be a better purchase to get an idea of Philip Glass' work.
on 9 January 2012
An excellent introduction to the work of this innovative composer.I had resisted him for years but this has helped me change my opinion. Well performed. Buy it!
on 25 May 2012
Having only recently discovered the music of Philip Glass I can wholeheartedly recommend this album to anyone looking to sample a selection of his genius. First two tracks aside, it's simply fantastic! (imho)
on 19 March 2009
The Essential Philip Glass
I had heard Stu Maconie play a bit of Music in 12 Parts but thought that was too much of an investment to make.This is amazing value and covers groovy minimalism (listen up Church of Anthrax fans) and opera (which I tend to hate).A superb introduction to genius;good sleevenotes too.Got hours of his stuff now to chill out with.Sometimes it gets so crazy it all makes sense.
on 13 January 2016
great all as expected
on 2 August 2014
Most brilliant some difficult for me to understand... but that is fine
on 22 August 2015