5.0 out of 5 stars Glass at his most approachable
If you have never listened to minimalist music this should be your point of departure. I have played this CD to the unsuspecting, as background music, and in the process won over the even the most ardent sceptics.
Published on 1 Jan 2006 by Mark Le Sueur

3.0 out of 5 stars More like mixed bag
Published on 17 Dec 2003 by foylet

3.0 out of 5 stars More like mixed bag, 17 Dec 2003
This album is a mixed selection of Glasses works. I loved everything after the second track. The first two tracks sound to me like it was wrote for some 1970's experimental modern dance production and for me I really want to skip past them to get to the far more timeless compositions which compose the remaining tracks. I really dont think I could recommend this album as an introduction to Glass and minimalist compositions.
A far better option is Minimalist, which also features other composers in the genre (Adams, Reich and Heath).

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass at his most approachable, 1 Jan 2006
Mark Le Sueur "Jersey Bean" (Jersey) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really Essential, 8 May 2009
While the CD does contain some great Glass compositions, it is by no means essential. Glass Works may be a better purchase to get an idea of Philip Glass' work.

4.0 out of 5 stars MP3 to Cloud download - Great, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Essential Philip Glass (MP3 Download)
I am not sure that I will ever love Mr Glass, but there are moments and times when he totally fits the bill.

This "Essential" is a work in progress for me to actually appreciate everything - if that will ever happen - but it's an excellent package that works very well for me in MP3 format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Glass, 25 May 2012
This review is from: The Essential Philip Glass (MP3 Download)
Having only recently discovered the music of Philip Glass I can wholeheartedly recommend this album to anyone looking to sample a selection of his genius. First two tracks aside, it's simply fantastic! (imho)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Essential Philip Glass (MP3 Download)
An excellent introduction to the work of this innovative composer.I had resisted him for years but this has helped me change my opinion. Well performed. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars quintessentially stained glass, 19 Mar 2009
The Essential Philip Glass
I had heard Stu Maconie play a bit of Music in 12 Parts but thought that was too much of an investment to make.This is amazing value and covers groovy minimalism (listen up Church of Anthrax fans) and opera (which I tend to hate).A superb introduction to genius;good sleevenotes too.Got hours of his stuff now to chill out with.Sometimes it gets so crazy it all makes sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Aug 2014
Most brilliant some difficult for me to understand... but that is fine

3.0 out of 5 stars First MP3 bought from Amazon - probably last, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Essential Philip Glass (MP3 Download)
No idea yet about the quality of this Philip Glass downloaded MP3 as it's my very first Amazon MP3 purchase (with a £2 coupon). What I can say is that the experience of having to download some Amazon downloader software that ONLY wanted to work in IE, despite me using Firefox, and then giving no idea of what on earth (if anything) it was doing means that much as I dislike Apple's iTunes I have to say iTunes has NOTHING to be worried about with Amazon's MP3 efforts! Geez if Amazon's Kindle was ANYTHING like this MP3 effort, then Kindle would have DIED at birth!

The Essential Philip Glass