5.0 out of 5 stars the worlds leading electric toothbrush gets better
I bought the first Braun Oral-b triumph over a year ago. I had read the 'Which' review of it and I was not disappointed and it has lasted me very well, so although I have only just replaced it I have no reason to doubt that the new model will also be as reliable and longlived.

Published on 23 Aug 2009 by vh1967

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited life for an expensive model
Update:
Published on 20 Nov 2009 by MarcoPolo

5.0 out of 5 stars the worlds leading electric toothbrush gets better, 23 Aug 2009
vh1967 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Rechargeable Power Toothbrush with Smart Guide (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The adjustments made by Braun with this new model are small. The original had 4 brushing modes (clean, soft, massage and polish) whereas the new model has 5 (daily, sensitive, deep clean, polish and massage) I presume by clean they mean daily and by soft they mean sensitive. So actually there is only one difference, the deep clean mode. I found the deep clean did give cleaner results than the previous model and was very impressed with the cleanliness of my teeth afterward. The flossing I always do after brushing as my teeth are very close together showed there was less debri after brushing with this latest model.

Those of you not used to electric toothbrushes will need to learn not to move the brush around like with a manual toothbrush, there is no need. The brushes are readily available and the toothbrush tells you when to change them as it has an intelligent chip in it which monitors now much they are used/ time etc which I really like as I can be forgetful sometimes!

If you can afford this latest model then buy it. As this toothbrush could mean fewer trips to the dental hygienist this needs to be factored into the price. It could be especially good for those of you who smoke or do not like going to the hygienist and of course for those who want to maintain that 'just been to the hygienist' feeling and whiteness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Sep 2009
Paul S Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can think of few ways that this electric toothbrush - the top of the Braun range - could be improved upon. The toothbrush is an attractive sturdy design. It offers a number of tooth-cleaning options which can be manually set or are automatically set if the appropriate toothbrush head is attached. There are three of these - one for general cleaning, one for 'polishing' and one for massaging gums and lighter cleaning. There is also a 'deep clean' option which follows the standard cleaning option but lasts longer.

The informative wireless bluetooth linked separate display which is battery operated and should be attached to the wall close to the sink/toothbrush is exceptionally useful. When not in use it displays the time. When in use it guides the cleaning of each quadrant of the mouth and counts down the time for optimal cleaning. It also indicates cleaning mode, shows when the brush requires replacement (which is based on specific use of a specific brush) and indicates if too much pressure is being applied during cleaning.

The toothbrush comes with a useful travel box so your toothbrush will not activate in your suitcase causing with a potential security alert as a buzzing emerges from your case or the battery runs flat. The case will also hold two toothbrush heads.

There are one or two downsides. The toothbrush will hold a limited charge - 9 days of use by one person for 4 minutes a day. This is less than the previous model and won't last for a long holiday. I've found the battery life a little better but be prepared to pack the charger on holidays. The charger is light-weight but is a two-pronged affair and no three-pin adapter is included in the kit. At the price one should be. The brush also will take close to 24 hours to fully recharge. The surrounding, optional plastic toothbrush holder and stand I find is too large and am not using it. On this model less information is displayed on the brush display so when away from the bluetooth screen you get only battery information. I'd like the display to match the one for the non-bluetooth model. Finally, the Amazon description says four toothbrush heads are included. In fact only three are - one of each type. For a second user you need to invest in a second general cleaning brush. Again, for the price, this should be included.

Overall though this is outstanding and worth five stars. Look for price discounts. These are often found at half price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it better then the other versions?, 8 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Horne "ghorne" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had 3 Braun toothbrushes before and although this is the top of the range model I am not sure it is any better then the 7 or 8500/8900 series, I would probably save my money as although the battery life is good, it still gets slower the more the battery runs down and the external clock is fun to begin with and then not really needed after.

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited life for an expensive model, 20 Nov 2009
Update:
I've now had the brush for three years and can comment further on quality. The brush is still cleaning well so my initial concerns over the build quality were unfounded. However it now only holds a charge for c. 4 days and the power display is completely inaccurate. This is a nuisance as the brush tends to run out while cleaning your teeth without any warning.

I've also discovered that replacing the battery is very expensive. The battery is hardwired into the handle's mechanism and can only be safely replaced through Braun's service partners at a cost of 54.99 (they replace the whole handle). This is almost the cost of a new brush and seems very poor design for an expensive item. I'm now thinking of replacing it with a cheaper model where I can replace the batteries myself.

Old Review:

I've had my Triumph 5000 for 4 months and, while I'm very pleased with the cleaning action, I'm less impressed with the overall quality of the product. The display unit now continually shows the excess pressure warning regardless of what I do with the brush, and there is a build up of condensation behind the battery indicator window on the brush itself. The display unit is also unable to keep time any longer and keeps reseting itself. Should you be thinking of purchasing this, make sure that you take advantage of the free extra year's warranty on offer from Braun for registering the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Toothbrush, 17 Feb 2010
Katriona Vaughan "Katriona" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
My previous Sonicare toothbrush decided it didn't want to be charged any more so I needed a new electric toothbrush and fast. Amazon were doing a brilliant deal on the Braun and that's why I picked it. And because of other people's reviews. It was easy to get started and a big bonus is that it only takes 10 hours to fully charge. It takes a wee bit of time to adjust to a new electric toothbrush but I've been using it for 3 weeks now and I'm really pleased. The plug on the charger has a wee velcro strap so that when you are storing the charger, the wire is all tidy. I registered my guarantee on line and got 3 years warranty instead of the 2 years it comes with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Cool Toothbrush, 17 Sep 2009
IM35461 "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using rechargable toothbrushes now for several years, mainly Philips.

This Braun, Oral-B works well advising you when you have spent 30 seconds on a zone in your mouth.

Total brushing time is two minutes just as it was with my Philips.

Brushheads seem to be smart and can indicate on the display that the are worn out.

Also different heads cause the brushing motor to operate in different default modes.

I can get just over a weeks use out of it before the LCD starts flashing the lower segmant that it is time to charge it up.

Travel carry case also useful which I used last weekend (it has room for two brush heads).

Mains adapter is bathroom safe two pin plug and is okay in a shaver unit.

Oh, and it does a good job cleaning your teeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph, 29 Aug 2009
Runeweaver - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing your gonna notice when your triumph toothbrush arrives is the clock.
what the clock does :-
Tells you how long you have been cleaning your teeth with a smiley face when you have cleaned them enough,so you keep your dentist happy
Which part of the mouth you should be cleaning,so each quarter of your mouth gets an equal time being cleaned
If you are pressing to hard,so making sure you dont damage your gums or teeth
When to replace the head,So you get the best cleaning possible
What type of cleaning you toothbrush is doing changed by a button on the brush,it will also change depending on the head you put on the brush
When your brush needs charging,there is also a gauge on the brush itself
Oh yeh and the time,so makes a nice clock for the bathroom

The Toothbrush itself IS the best Electric toothbrush ive used,cleaning is great on the deep clean setting almost feels the same as when the dentist cleans them with that horrible pink paste stuff that feels like theres gravel in it.
The clock makes a Major difference,being honest I doubt I cleaned my teeth for 2 minutes very often with a manual,maybe the few days before a dentist visit.
Mainly because its hard to judge the amount of time passing while cleaning your teeth,because its boring and been doing it twice a day for over 30 years.
But with the clock you have it right in front of you,clean this part of the mouth for 30 seconds move to the next part for 30 second,Totally lazy/bored and idiot proof,when the smiley face appears you can stop.Simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars because you're worth it?, 22 Aug 2009
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Buying an electric toothbrush is a bit like buying a car. A cheap one will get you from A-B in about the same time as an expensive one, but the top of the range model will do it with more style and grace. So is this top of the range e-toothbrush worth the extra? Well that very much depends on how much you pay for it. At its list price I would be hard pushed to say any toothbrush was worth it. But at Amazon prices you are looking at about 3 times what you would pay for a basic model (which is what I was using), and I think that this starts to be a serious contender.

What you get is pretty well set out in the product description. 5 brushing modes (well 4 and a longer one) compared to normal and sensitive on a basic model. A very natty display unit which tells you not only the time (am I alone in not previously realising that a clock in the bathroom is a pretty helpful thing in the morning?) - but also all sorts of clues as to whether you are brushing your teeth in the most effective way and for long enough. A nicer looking base unit which charges in 10 hours instead of 16, and holds up to 4 brusheads, and you can put it in the dishwasher when it gets grubby. You get useful travel case with room for a couple of brush heads. You also get a selection of 3 brush heads compared to the couple that you get with a basic model (heads can cost around 5 each). But best of all you get a handle which feels great in the hand and also displays how much battery you have left (one of my major issues with the more basic models). The whole package has definitely got the wow factor - making it ideal as a luxury gift.

So how does it perform? Well I haven't had it long enough to know whether it will out perform my more basic model in keeping my teeth clean. Certainly the deep clean mode and the polishing mode feel like they are doing a bit extra. In every other respect it gets you from A - B. Your final decision as to whether it's worth it may be down to your wallet, but maybe think about the circumstances in which you are going to use it. I have no doubt that the separate display would be a great training device if you are not used to using an e-toothbrush. Children would also be encouraged to brush properly by following the display. But you have to be able to put the display in your eyeline when brushing - and I find that I am used to looking in the mirror - so you ideally you need space to do both. (A wall mount bracket attached by adhesive strips is provided - but it I think it looks better on a shelf). Last but not least, if you don't have a safety / razor socket in a handy place you will need to get an adapter and charge elsewhere.

These are minor niggles. If you want a great e-toothbrush this fits the bill. Compared to the cost of dental treatment the outlay is modest. A cheaper model will do the business - but this one will give you that little bit extra. I think it's worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and underdesigned, 18 Sep 2009
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the idea of the package but the quality isn't what it could be

You can't change the angle of the monitor so that you can see it from different heights. The transformer is in the plug which makes it stick out annoyingly from the wallsocket, when it would be more useful weighing down the base station. The blue carry case is cheap and flimsier than you might hope for.

The brush and heads perfprm well

This could easily be a 5 star product with a little extra attention to detail, but since it has a high price tag, I can't overlook its failings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toothbrush, 8 Mar 2011
Mr. Matthew Tickle (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant toothbrush at a very good price. I bought this toothbrush as my dentist told me I was brushing too hard - I have a few friends who are dentists and this is the brush they use. Also, the replacement heads are a lot cheaper than those for the Philips Sonicare range.

Once used, the brush makes your mouth feel much cleaner than standard toothbrushes, and the SmartGuide is a great addition - it tells you if you how long you have left before you have met your "target" of 2 minutes brushing and even tells you if you are brushing too hard!