2,010 Reviews
 (1,356)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, simple, great clean!
Published on 24 Sept. 2009 by Antony Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable electric toothbrush
I normally use a Sonicare toothbrush, which I bought on the recommendation of my dentist. He rates Sonicare highly, he said, although he didn't offer me any reduction on my dental insurance - not prepared to put his money where my mouth was, perhaps.

Published on 2 Nov. 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, simple, great clean!, 24 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies) (Personal Care)
Very very good electric toothbrush. Has quite a fast action, so it cleans teeth very quickly and efficiently. The toothbrushes 'buzzes' 4 times during the two-minute cycle, to let you know when to switch between upper/lower, front/back of teeth. It's a bit pointless, but a nice touch i guess. The battery lasts a long time. I use the product for about 2-4 minutes, three times a day, and i've only charged it once (used it about a week, i think), but i think the battery is still almost full, though there's no way to check. Nice 'battery low' indicator too on the toothbrush. Another green LED also whilst charging, which is good. If you brush too hard, then a light on the back lights up quite brightly to warn you, which is very useful if you are quite heavy handed! Basically, this toothbrush is all you need for an electric toothbrush. My hygenist told me there's no point in paying for the really expensive models, because this one does just exactly the same thing, but without all the silly extras like an LCD timer. Highly reccommended product! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic toothbrush helped with bleeding gums, 31 Dec. 2009
I was very sceptical about all the hype of this toothbrush and decided to take a gamble due to the half price offer. I suffer from the bleeding gums. Got the tooth brush and boy I am been nothing but impressed.

The pulse are strong and you can see the results of cleaner teeth very quickly. This brush came with a 30 days money back challenge from Oral-B but I was impressed with the results by the second day of use.

One thing I would recommend is that you can use all types of interchangable heads on these. You are not restricted. I have also bought seperate polishing heads from Tesco and they work a charm

In summary, dont think twice. GO FOR IT. You have the Oral-B guarantee plus the return policy of Amazon and you will not regret your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need from an electric toothbrush, 22 Oct. 2009
Melanie Pratt (Wales, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 1 Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush is a fairly basic but totally functional electric toothbrush. Unlike the higher end of their 'Professional Care' range, this brush has only one speed (but I must say that I owned one with multiple speeds and never used anything but the highest speed, so the others may as well not have been there), and comes with only two standard brushheads (but of course you can purchase fancy heads separately if you so desire).

The battery life is quite good - from a full charge it will brush twice a day for over a week (I suspect it would do slightly longer than that if you paid more attention to the timing feature - it vibrates every 30 seconds to encourage you to spend the recommended two minutes brushing the four quadrants of your mouth evenly - I tend to zone out and don't notice it!). There is a light near the base of the brush to warn you when you need to charge it. As with all such toothbrushes, the charging stand has only a two-pin shaving plug, so you may need to buy an adaptor if you don't have a shaver socket in your bathroom.

Another nice feature is that if you press too hard while brushing there is a (very obvious!) red light to alert you.

Highly recommended, a very good solid toothbrush with all the features you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars a dentist's opinion, 9 Dec. 2009
As a dentist I can reassure you that this toothbrush is excellent in cleaning teeth,and quite cheap, since it doesn't have all this unnecessary stuff,eg digital screen etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story from a sceptic, 22 Aug. 2010
JPG Revington (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
For years I've thought electric toothbrushes were just the products of clever marketing aimed at the gadget market or at lazy brushers, or both. I was a traditionalist who thought that the harder I brushed, the cleaner my teeth would be. In other words I was a committed sceptic. In one month this view changed completely.

This review isn't only about the toothbrush; it's also about the huge effect the toothbrush had on the state of my teeth and gums (ie the REALLY important issues!).

For many years when I'd brush my teeth I'd spit blood into the basin - bleeding gums that many dentists and hygienists had warned me about. One hygienist recently suggested that I change to electric and gave me some numbers to be able to measure the improvement. Here are the results (June/July 2010):

- Before dental treatment and before electric: 75% bleeding + 65% plaque.
- Two weeks after hygienist treatment and using my dear Braun Oral-B electric: 12% bleeding + 10% plaque.
- Six weeks after a second treatment and still using electric: less than 2% bleeding + 1% plaque.
- August 2010: no bleeding at all and less than 1% plaque.

Of course I'm happy: no more blood in the basin, and confidence now that my teeth and gums are healthy and strong. But none of this would have been possible without the electric toothbrush, so here's a short review on it.

Choosing a model - the hygienist strongly advised buying a model with at least 8000 rotations/minute and lots and lots of vibrations, so don't waste your money on the cheapies. I liked the Braun Oral-B range better than any others, and found this one on Amazon for £30, about half the price of many others with the same features.
This model: Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 1 Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush

Brushing - repeat: go for a brush that rotates at least 8000 rotations/minute. This brush is really simple to use: you charge it, put on the brush head and toothpaste and press the button - no settings, no dials, no complications ... no effort! The motor 'stutters' briefly every 30 seconds to indicate when you've done enough brushing in each quarter of your mouth (ie upper left quarter, upper right quarter etc), and gives a good 'hiccup' when you're done (2 minutes twice a day is the recommended brushing time). Some people don't seem to like this 'stuttering' feature, but it's really neat and means you don't have to guess how long you've been brushing. You also don't have to look at a timer or a clock. If you press too hard a red light shines - probably useful for some people, but you'll soon get out out of the thinking that pressing hard = cleaner teeth. Let the brush do the work. When you're done, rinse the whole thing under the tap; as you'd expect it's fully waterproof. The vibrations of the brush make your gums and teeth feel like they've never felt before - clean and tingling.

Whiter teeth? Yes, really! I didn't believe the claims for whiter teeth either, but even with regular supermarket toothpaste my teeth are several shades brighter than they were just 2 months ago (and that's my wife's comment, not mine!)

Charging - there's a neat little charger, but with this model the whole set up is pretty unstable because it's top heavy and the base is too small. This is the only less-than-adequate design of this model. Advice - use Blutack to secure it. The initial charge time of 17 hours isn't really a problem, and charging the toothbrush every couple of days seems to work well (two of us use the same toothbrush body ... but not the same brush head!).

Other features of other models - various brushing programmes, different speeds, digital displays, etc aren't worth the extra money as far as I can see, but if you like buttons and gadgets, and want to spend another £20 or £30 (or more), then move upmarket.
Braun Oral-B Triumph IQ 5000 with SmartGuide Rechargeable Power Toothbrush

So while the Braun hasn't fixed up my gums and teeth all by itself, it has played a huge part in the great results above and I wouldn't change it for anything else. Great value. Great results

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable electric toothbrush, 2 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer "Stevie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Anyway, the Sonicare works very differently to this beastie, and at first I was very aware of the difference. This is much more in the style of the sort of toothbrush your dentist uses to polish your teeth after the descaling is done. It works well and is comfortable in the hand. There's a (perhaps gimmicky) feature whereby a red light is illuminated if you press too hard, and the brush stutters after 30 seconds of brushing to remind you to move on to the next quarter of your mouth.

As you would exoect, it's easy to set up. You plug in the charger and place the brush base over it (there's a prong which sticks up) and, 14 hours or so later (ie a loooong overnight) it's ready.

I would put this at the good, basic, workmanlike end of the market. I think reasonable value for money and it feels robust. If I hadn't been used to a Sonicare (which wouldn't suit all - they're difficult to get used to - and the rechargeables start at about twice the price of this one) I think I would be well suited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brush, but a bit slow to charge up, 8 Oct. 2012
I am delighted with this toothbrush. I have been using the Braun Oral-B 500 for the last few years and was very pleased with it. I decided to upgrade to a newer model when the battery started to wear out. This newer model runs at a higher oscillation speed, and is noticeably faster.

The pressure sensor is a very noticeable bright red light on the top of the handle, nearest the brush. I am astonished by how sensitive it is! Other reviewers had said it was hard to trigger it, but I found it lit up several times each time I brushed. I am now learning how to angle the brush and not to press into my teeth as much as I needed to with the older model. I am surprised by how helpful I found this function.

The only down-side is that it takes 17 hours to fully charge. The manual says that you need to do a full charge the first time you use it, and that it is good to run the battery totally flat once every 6 months or so. It is impossible (the manual says) to over-charge the brush, so I guess the sensible thing to do is to charge it before it gets anywhere near empty, to avoid having a night without being able to use the brush. The manual says that the charge will last a full week brushing twice a day for 2 mins, but I suspect with cleaning etc that will be slightly optimistic.

However, this is a really excellent product. My teeth feel much cleaner than they did with the 500 model, the buttons are easy to find but not overly sensitive - I have not yet accidentally turned it off! I like the one-mode setting, as I decided I would not be likely to use the other modes regularly, and now I am using it I am sure I can just be more gentle in movements should I decide I have a sensitive area.

I would highly recommend this brush to others who want a good, straightforward brush with excellent cleaning and easy use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charger only works in 240V sockets - so often doesn't work, 4 Jan. 2014
There is a major design flaw with the charger as it only works on 220-240 Volts. However, most UK bathroom sockets run at 120 Volts, so the charger won't charge your toothbrush properly when used in them.

Also, if you want to take it with you when you travel abroad, it won't work in most countries as most are 120 Volts (e.g. Europe, US, Japan).

This is a very poor design decision, and is unusual as almost all devices these days have chargers that work with both 120 and 240 volts.

Therefore I recommend to avoid this toothbrush as it is highly likely you will need to use it in a 120Volt socket (even in the UK) and will therefore have a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charger stopped working, 7 July 2013
Toothbrush is excellent, but like a great number of other customers, I've just discovered that the charger is not fit for purpose. Worked flawlessly for 7 months, before suddenly giving up yesterday

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performer, 18 Oct. 2009
Biff - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of all the Oral B range (& there is quite a lot of them all doing the same job - cleaning teeth) this is probably the best choice to make.

Its probably classed as a mid range toothbrush but it does the job without the many gimmicks of the top of the range products.

It feels a solid well made product and only has one cleaning mode - which lets face it is all that you need. Im not even sure the various programmed cleaning modes of other brushes actually make any difference to the end result - you just want clean teeth right ?

It has a two minute cycle and will buzz to let you know when its done.

There is also a handy battery low indicator - but basically you just stick it in the charger when you are finished and the battery will stay topped up anyway.

It doesn't get five stars because the two pin plug is too long (as is the case with the entire Oral B range)- If you have to use an adapter to fit it to a standard 3 pin socket it sticks out from the wall far too much in my oppinion.