5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves your teeth feeling wonderfully clean
This is the third Braun electic toothbush I have used and its the best. After using it just once I could feel the difference on my teeth - it removes so much plaque.

Published on 22 Oct. 2009 by Mrs. F. Huxley

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 brushes, all stopped accepting a charge
Had 3 of these in as many months - all failed to charge after a short while.

Published on 5 Mar. 2012 by Elvis Vader

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves your teeth feeling wonderfully clean, 22 Oct. 2009
Mrs. F. Huxley (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Braun Oral-B Professional Care 500 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush with Precision Clean Brush Head (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It may be an entry level model but it has all the features that are really needed from the built-in pressure sensor so you don't brush to hard, the indicator light so that you know the battery is running low to the 30 second interval sound to you are reminded to move on to another quadrant of your mouth.

There are two brush heads included in the package which have blue indicator bristles which fade over three months to remind you to change the head.

This brush has a thinner handle and lighter than my previous electric toothbursh which is very useful to me as I have problems with my hands. The toothbrush was quick to charge and holds the charge well so the brush works as well at the end of the week as at the beginning.

The only problem I had is not with the toothbrush itself but with the packaging it is supplied in. Be prepared to struggle as the box is encased in a very tough sealed plastic case which was difficult to get scissors in to cut off at least the version I was sent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gentle electric toothbrush: efficient & fun to use!, 31 Jan. 2010
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good electric toothbrush & it does a good job. It has made my toothbrushing routine fun & organised. I used to dread brushing my teeth, but now I look forwards to it as I don't have to think about if I have brushed enough, have applied too little/too much pressure, AND I know I have brushed all parts of my teeth!

I really like that:

PROFESSIONAL TIMER
*it has a 4 point cleaning reminders that every 30 seconds it does a little stutter to clean the 4 quarters of your mouth (ie. does a little stutter every 30 seconds to remind you to move on to another section) & a double stutter at the end of the 2 minute recommnded cleaning time.
Also, the timer memorises the elapsed brushing time, so even if the brush is turned off briefly. Unless if the brush is turned off for more than 30 seconds, whence it'll reset itself.

*it is gentle & does not feel like you're brushing your teeth too harshly.

*cleans very well with minimum effort (very good for me as I hate brushing my teeth!

NOTE:

"PRESSURE SENSOR"
This product is supposed to have a "pressure sensor" which protects your teeth & gum from excessive brushing, so if you apply too much pressure, the oscillating movement will continue but the pulsation will stop. I couldn't "sense" this system working even after trying too much pressure on purpose. It just carried on as before but it just felt like the brushing is restricted.

"Charging"
It says that initially charge this product for minimum 12 hours & the charger's green flashing light will continue flashing until fully charged. Well, mine hasn't stopped flashing even though I have been chraging it for over 24 hours.
In fact, it just flashes all the time. I donot know if this is due to my electric shaver's charging unit which is old.

Overall, a good electric toothbrush.
+ it's fairly good value also as it's half the RRP at Amazon at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level brush, with some nice features and a few small flaws, 6 Nov. 2009
Christopher Meadows (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is an excellent entry level electric toothbrush from Braun. I've been using one of their previous models (the Vitality) for the last few years, and this model quite simply blows it out of the water.

The toothbrush comes as three separate components; the brush heads, the charger unit, and the handle/motor unit.
The brush comes with two standard Oral-B toothbrush heads in the box - while these don't do floss action, or whitening, or any more advanced cleaning procedures, they're perfectly adequate for day-to-day brushing. Some quick experimentation showed that brush heads that fit the Vitality also fit this Professional Care model, and from this I infer that all the standard Oral-B brush head types will fit (or say otherwise on the box).

Unfortunately, whilst the brush heads benefit from standardisation, the power charger does not; whilst it looks similar to the Vitality charger, it is thinner, and the Professional Care motor unit will not fit on a Vitality charger; this isn't an issue if you only charge one toothbrush, or have two Professional Care brushes, but is slightly annoying to have to plug and unplug two different chargers for brushes made by the same manufacturer. The charger itself is a small white plastic unit, with a two pin plug attached - you may need an adapter to plug it into your wall at home. The base seems small, but does not appear to be unstable.

The brush handle/motor unit is white and blue, and comes with two useful features not found on my earlier model - a timer, and a charge indicator light. The timer causes the brush head to vibrate at 30 second intervals during use, letting the user know when they've reached the `recommended' time spent brushing a `quadrant' of their mouth. This can be quite disorienting at first, as it feels as if the brush charge is giving out. Once you get used to it, it can be quite useful - presuming you want to brush your teeth in quadrants! The timer also has a longer `stutter' at the conclusion of two minutes, to let the user know that they've reached the end of recommended brushing time.

The charge indicator is a straightforward green light, which lights up when the unit is placed on the charger. Flashing green means that it is charging, and steady green means that it is fully charged. This can be quite useful if you're in a hurry and want to know if the brush is charged or not. It's also useful for letting you know when the battery is running low, always a problem on older electric toothbrush models.
The last feature is noticeable in brushing, which is the pressure sensor. This pauses the brush head pulse action (but not the spin) when the user pushes down too hard. This is sometimes difficult to feel, and perhaps a little too subtle, but the attempt to warn a user when they are pushing down too hard is welcome, even if it is of doubtful effectiveness.

The unit is slim and easy to pick up and use (at least for the recommended 2 minutes!). The motor is reasonably powerful, and certainly beats my old Vitality in cleaning power, as well as a comparative test with a manual brush.

In conclusion, some useful features and good cleaning power make this a solid entry level electric toothbrush.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Our Teeth Nice and Clean, 9 Nov. 2009
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The 'Oral-B Pro Care 500' pretty much does what it says on the tin. It is a good quality, easy to use electric toothbrush. My dentist has been hassling me to get one of these for ages, and I'll have to wait for my next check up for the official verdict, but I think there has already a marked improvement in tooth cleanliness.

The instructions are minimal and easy to follow - plug in, charge, go! Brushing time is timed to two minutes, in order to prevent over or under-brushing. I think this is fairly standard for this type of kit. The two minutes is broken down further into thirty second blocks, to ensure equal time is spent on each quarter of the mouth. Because you only have to concentrate on the moving the brush around your mouth and not the brushing motion itself, it's much easier to concentrate on those hard to reach places that your dentist nags about every time you visit.

Two small gripes. The moulded plug is two-pin shaver, presumably for bathroom safety. Unfortunately there isn't one of those in our house, but adaptors are cheap and easy to come by. My other moan is about the rigid plastic the whole thing was packaged in. It was very difficult to remove, sharp after having been cut open, and will probably still be landfill long after my teeth have been scattered on the four-winds. It was also entirely unnecessary, the cardboard box was plenty sturdy enough. These two minor moans apart this toothbrush is a very satisfactory product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Stutteringly Good Clean, 14 Nov. 2009
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the gripes; to clarify Amazon's product description; there's no DVD supplied with this toothbrush and it comes with only 2 brush heads and not 7.

The timer is useful but also annoying; after every 30 seconds the toothbrush 'stutters' a couple of times but after 2 minutes has a grand stuttering effect as if to say "oi, that's enough, put me down now!"

And it does seem to take an extremely long time to recharge, somewhere over 7 hours (I put it on before going to bed and it's still recharging when I get up).

I already owned the Professional Care 6000 model Braun Oral-B Professional Care 6000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush and to be honest I can't see a difference between the two; they both seem to function exactly the same (perhaps it's a marketing thingy to make us think we have more choice?).

This toothbrush is very effective for cleaning all around the fronts and backs of teeth but its main benefit for me is in cleaning behind the rear molars which I find can be awkward with a normal brush as my gums get in the way. Although, it's not too good for between teeth, for that you'll need a different attachment like Braun Oral-B IP17-1 Interspace Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Head, floss or an ordinary toothbrush.

Weighing the pros and cons, overall I like it and I would definitely recommend it and if it failed I would replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 Nov. 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this toothbrush to be of the same superb quality as my previous brush by the same manufacturer; I got this new one for my husband to use but tried it for myself with my own brush head first. Like the other, it gives a fantastic clean that makes you feel like you've just stepped out of the dentist's and the timer is a useful tool, so that you know you're giving equal attention to each part of your mouth. The brush heads from this brush are interchangeable with other brushes in the Professional Care range which is handy as we can order a pack of refills to use on both brushes.
The brush is completely simple to use, charge it, switch on and go. Brush one quarter of your mouth until the brush makes a stuttering sound, then move onto the next quarter, and so on.
The only irritation is that these brushes come with a 2 pin plug which as a previous reviewer stated, a lot of households can't accomodate as they don't have the appropriate socket. However an adaptor to use it in a normal UK socket only costs a couple of pounds or so.
Overall, very good toothbrush, easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On The........Plastic, 22 Oct. 2010
I must admit I tried an electric toothbrush several years ago, but just did not find it doing anything better than a well used manual. Then recently I started to get a little concious about needing to get my teeth that little bit cleaner, so took the plunge.

You get two heads, the toothbrush main body, the charger and not a fat lot in the way of instructions. Braun follows the usual blanket market in the EU by having a leaflet with a dozen different languages, but not what you would hope in the way of instructions.

We all should know how to brush our teeth, but that is with a manual toothbrush, so I think the main moan here is that the leaflet should be more detailed to enable you to get the most from the toothbrush.

And that would have been enough to rate this below five stars but for the performance. You might get some bleeding of the gums when you first start to use it - but my dentist had already forewarned me of that happening when you floss, so actually I took that as a good sign.

After a few weeks use I can honestly say it works. It does make your teeth feel and look cleaner. Your gums feel better and I like the way the toothbrush 'times' for each 'quarter' of your mouth so you ACTUALLY brush for two minutes properly.

Worth the money and I do wish I could have got one of these years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 brushes, all stopped accepting a charge, 5 Mar. 2012
Had 3 of these in as many months - all failed to charge after a short while.

The toothbrush itself seemed fine, so whether it was the charger (an induction type affair with no exposed connectors - the brush just sits on a plastic nub) or a battery management setting in the actual toothbrush (once the battery gets low it seems to refuse to take a charge, even though the brush still works ok), it has been a frustrating experience.

A shame as for the brief periods while the toothbrushes were working they were excellent (especially for the £20 price). All credit to Amazon, they organised replacements and eventually a refund without any fuss at all, but it makes me wary about buying another model of Oral-B brush in case I encounter the same problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought 5 - 3 chargers died within 1 year, brush OK, 24 Nov. 2011
Do not have much to complaint about the brushes; me, wife and two kids use them, but out of the 4 currently used, chargers on 3 of them have died. Not sure what I'll do when the 4th dies as well.
In short, EXTREMELY SUB-STANDARD CHARGERS, but brushes good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the fight with the packaging.., 20 Mar. 2010
S. Miller (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This is the best Braun Oral B I've had so far (been using them for years). Much less cumbersome to hold than the Vitality range, and gets into all the dental nooks and crannies thanks to the small head which can even brush the "back ends" of my 4 wisdom teeth squeaky clean without making me gag.

Lightweight, easy to clean, lasts a week without need for re-charging. The charging light is really useful so no more dying motor half way round, and the stuttering after 30 seconds for each "quadrant" stops me over-brushing. I find it charges up just as fast as the previous models, so no problems there.

The only downside? ...A pair of industrial cutters and some protective gloves would have been very useful in trying to get into the almost impenetrable outer plastic packaging - but with brute strength and determination I got in eventually. The bleeding stopped quite quickly, and I only needed two plasters... My fault for attacking it too enthusiastically... In retrospect I'd suggest a "stanley" type blade to cut round all 4 sides so that the two halves slide off cleanly, rather than attack with kitchen scissors (as I did), as the lethal jagged plastic edges do tend to fight back... But well worth it - teeth feel fabulously clean. Highly recommended.