5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring
I won't tell you the plot of this film and ruin it for you - CAREFUL - there are lots on here that do just that.

But I would like to share with you the fantastic experience my family had watching this at the cinema.

Published on 11 Oct 2009 by Mr. Hm Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars a cracking film overall.....but shame about the second half
A cracking film as you would expect from Pixar. The animation is tastefully done and stylish without being 'in your face'. This is a film that can be enjoyed by both children and adults alike - there is something for everyone.

About half-way through it starts getting a little bit silly and far-fetched for me however with talking dogs and the like - a shame...
Published on 24 Sep 2012 by mu4awf

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring, 11 Oct 2009
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)

I (a slightly cynical 47 year old man) cried in the first ten minutes, was amazed and delighted in the next ten, almost split my sides at the affectionate, very real (but simultaneously very surreal!) depiction of dogs, lost myself in the adventure and tension and completely forgot time.

At times, my kids (6 and 8) almost lost bladder control with laughter and sat at the edge of their seats from start to finish.

As I said, Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring.

One of Pixar's best; does praise come higher than that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny tear jerker, 17 Mar 2010
Mrs. R. Ward - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film for my grandchildren, ages 8 - 13. A few days later, I was told by my daughter-in-law that they had all watched the film and loved it. She was including herself and a visiting 3 year old. The amazing thing was that they had all shed tears at various points! Surely this is an example of a perfect film - lots of laughs and a few tears - even in a cartoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-affirming joy, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)
'Up' merely cememts Pixar's reputation as the most intelligent and innovative film studio of the moment. From the incredible opening 10 minutes, destined to be a cinematic classic for ever, to the touching final scene, I was completely and utterly entranced.

A film for all ages and one that perfectly sums up the love and laughter that only the very greatest films can manage to pull of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Up, up and Away, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)
You and your kids will fly off with this house and share the adventures of its owner...this is hugely entertaining but also poignant as our hero takes on an adventure once dreamed of by him and his wife - an adventure he only undertakes after her death, an adventure which brings him a new wisdom and new happiness. Sound a little heavy? No, really its a sensitive little work with a good balance between fun, laughter, a delightful sense of fear and tensions and perhaps a few tears for those who understand the darker layers.

A great treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Feb 2010
This movie has the best beginning ever. Period.
And if your not in tears by the first ten minutes then theres something wrong with you.
But, at the same time, this movie is also tremendously funny, happy and meaningful for all ages. There were times of intense laughter and sadness but this movie is ultimantly incredible.

Pixar produces THE best animated movies.
A bold, but true, statement.
And this is up there with Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Toy Story.

The Blu-Ray quality is breathtaking, the colours are vibrant and the sound is crisp and clear, the bonus features are also really entertaining and informative.

Buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney and Pixar haven't lost their touch!, 16 Feb 2010
Mr. T. Pooley (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"Up" for me ranks as one of the best films Disney and Pixar have created thus far. After seeing the woeful "Cars" a couple of years ago I was seriously concerned that a staple of my childhood was starting to lose it. Well, "Ratatouille" and "Wall-E" both went some way to getting Pixar back on track, but "Up" blows even these two terrific films out of the water and makes me regret thinking for one second that one of my favourite movie studios had gone off the boil.

I shan't ruin any of the story for you (after all, the Amazon blurb will tell you what you need to know), but believe me when I say that you absolutely must see this film. What makes "Up" so charming is that it can be enjoyed on numerous levels by people of all ages. Kids will enjoy it because of the lovable characters and grand adventure, while adults will be drawn in by the overarching themes of love, loss, companionship and redemption. Everyone however, will be attracted by the humour, suspense and brilliant storytelling. In short, you must have a heart of stone not to enjoy this film.

As for the blu-ray itself, I was very impressed by both the visual and sound effects. Colours are vibrant and the level of detail is just what you'd expect from high definition. The extras contained on the disc are also a welcome addition, ranging from alternate scenes to cinematic shorts containing some of "Up"'s main characters.

In sum, this film is brilliant. It is charming, endearing, funny and exciting. The quality of the blu-ray transfer is also excellent, making it a worthy addition to anyone's hi-def collection.

Buy it - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel!, 16 Feb 2010
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This film is truly superb. Personally I consider most Pixar films to be excellent, with The Incredibles and Wall-E as stand outs in an impressive line up of CGI films. I think Up is right there with them.

When it comes the CGI animated films I believe that technically Pixar have no equal, and there is no drop in standards with Up. On Blu-Ray it's gorgeous, with smooth, rich colours throughout and pin sharp imagery. Textures are just right, with translucent balloons and dusty interiors all looking equally convincing in Pixars' slightly stylised way. The animation is spot on too. Everything has just the right amount of movement to convey the weight and momentum of the object in motion.

All this would be for nothing were the story not up to scratch, but once again Pixar hit the bulls eye here too. The main character barely utters a word in the first twenty or so minutes, yet I found it to be more moving than most live action movies ever manage. All of the small cast are all excellent, but special mention must go to the 'talking' dogs - which to be honest had me in fits of laughter. Running at a brisk 96 minutes not a moment is wasted either.

I suspect most people considering buying this will have already seen a Pixar film or two and if you liked those you'll love this. And if you already seen Up but are wondering whether the Blu-Ray is worth the extra I'd say definitely - the picture quality is faultless. Besides it also comes with a DVD and digital version in the box if you want the versatility of standard definition too. This is definitely a must buy for adults and kids alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I Was Hiding Under Your Porch Because I LOVE YOU!!'- Dug the Dog. (I'm an adult reviewer, By The Way!), 26 Feb 2010
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)
i love this movie. i'm keeping this brief, but much like Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle In The Sky, this is an astonishing, mature animated effort that at the same lets you take in the warmth and wonder peculiar only to childhood!

i don't care about the odd elements of the film, like the 20,000 balloons that had to have been blown up in one night by one old man. i don't care about the odd dogs that at times just aren't funny. dogs don't have to be funny to be stupid! and i don't care about the transformation the film takes from deep, heartfelt drama into wild n wacky playtime fun!

as dug put it bluntly: 'I Was Hiding Under Your Porch Because I LOVE YOU!!'

honestly, it is amazing.

my 70 year old father loved it, possibly because Pixar have shown the world that you don't have to be young to go on an adventure. and the last shot of the film? won't reveal it, but it got me all tender n warm inside!

recommended, i have nearly every major animated release ever released on dvd, be it foreign or amaerican, and this is one of the best. silly at times. but do kid's movies have to be taken seriously all the time? if you think so, please explain the universally acclaimed Dumbo.

if you want to be a kid, and long for that sense of wonder in make believe you last felt when you were about 9 years old, you owe yourself this DVD. charming fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring, 25 Dec 2009
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I won't tell you the plot of this film and ruin it for you - CAREFUL - there are lots here that do just that.

I (a slightly cynical 47 year old man) cried in the first ten minutes, was amazed and delighted in the next ten, almost split my sides at the affectionate, very real (but simultaneously very surreal!) depiction of dogs and then got completely involved in the adventure and tension and completely forgot time.

As I said, Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring.

One of Pixar's best; does praise come higher than that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Funny & Moving, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this on DVD today with my friend (we are 21 & 23) older than the targeted audience but lovers of Disney & Pixar. I am glad to say we were not disappointed.
In the first 20 minutes, i laughed, cried and gasped. I was instantly gripped by the storyline, and felt a connection to the character. Pixar have really done well portraying an elderly man who has lost his wife and with it all he held dear. To keep his wife's spirit alive he tries to fulfill the dreams they shared together by travelling to Paradise Falls.
Along the way he finds his stowaway on his porch 8 year old Russell. together they embark on their adventure meeting a host of great characters and creatures on the way.
My friend & I both loved the talking dogs, i read an earlier review that found their random cries of 'squirrel' annoying, but everytime it happened me & my friend burst out laughing.
The animation is amazing and the scenery is breathtaking. Another great triumph.
A great adventure that although may be a bit unbelievable, offers a good movie that you can sink your teeth into. A must for all ages. Can't wait to see it again.

Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD]
Walt Disney / Pixar - Up [DVD] by Bob Peterson (DVD - 2010)