5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cd
Published on 31 Dec 2004 by MARTIN WILD (AC/DC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment!
Without doubt the musicianship is superb and talent abounds but...Well, its that crossover thing. For me its a bit chirpy, lacks rawness and is refined because of the very talent involved. It raised the question of whether you can have a "crossover vision"; what does a blend of music want to say that the original components cannot? Without vision there's the danger of...
Published on 7 Oct 2009 by michael mcgee

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cd, 31 Dec 2004
First play through this superb album gave me feeling of disorientation; where in the world musically temporally and geographically was I? jazz, classical, song, instrumental, South American, Spanish, Italian, German etc all go into the mix - and its a true mix that has produced unalloyed listening pleasure. There are several songs, and the first track Voglio una Casa both makes a statement and also tantalises with a taste of what is to come. The tune is inspired by an old Sardinian folk song, using a typical Sardinian ostinato bass similar to the tarentallas of southern Italy. Add in a baroque harp, Psalterion, lirone and two baroque guitars and the song drives along and at the end a brief tantalising improvisation with Trovesi on clarinette piccolo. There are other songs, all very different, but a good number of tracks are just great improvisations, with a range of styles and textures - violin, cello, cornet, clarinette, baroque harp etc etc all underpinned by the ostinato bass. I have the tunes rattling around my head despite some heavy duty classical listening. This album must have been as much fun to create as it is to listen to, the musicians seem to really work off each other. If you prefer the recommendations of professionals, two "Gramaphone" reviewers in an article in December said they would give this cd as an xmas present to a friend. Christine in the sleeve notes asks if we have the right to try to bridge two styles of music - the cd gives the very affirmative answer, and my question back to her is when is the next Arpeggiata album out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 May 2005
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
Having caught this on a CD review one Saturday morning on Radio 3, I was immediately captured by this music that evidently came from the Pre-Baroque period yet featured a clarinetist with genuine jazz sensibilities. It was little surprise when I later discovered that the musician in question was Italian Jazz Legend Gianluigi Trovesi.
Although based upon simple harmonic sequences, this music offers ample oppurtunity for improvisation and the whole disc comes across like a well managed 16th Century jam session. Alot of research has gone into reconstructing this material and the extensive and thorough liner notes explain the origins of the music and how it has been arranged. (This makes fascinating reading on it's own.) Featuring a fluctuating group of musicians playing such antiquated instruments such a lyres, psalteries, theorbo and a couple of singers, Christina Pluhar has assembled a unit that injects new life into this forgotten and infectious music.
The sound quality is fantstic - as good as any ECM release and I would expect that fans of the music of that label would be very much attracted to this disc. I cannot agree more with the other reviewers and although I am really a jazz fan with an interest in Classical music, this was also for me one of the best albums of 2004. Often the combination of academia and fusions of different genres can result in a meaningless and boring listening experience. On this disc, Christina Pluhar's group "L'Arpeggiata" has created some very refreshing music. If the opening "Voglia una casa" doesn't get you dancing around the room, nothing will !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Record of the year?, 19 Oct 2004
Dobester (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
All'Improvviso is a superb "crossover" album, combining early music with jazz, but without the melancholy of the Hilliard-Garbarek endeavours, or the occasionally hysterical versionsof Jacques Loussier and other respectful jazzers. Like the Hilliards & Garbarek, it combines both early music and improvisations composed - if that's the right word - by the musicians playing on the album. However, while many of the improvisations are wholly in the spirit of the originals they embellish, some are in distinctly more modern styles, with a klezmer clarinet taking the biscuit for being anachronistic, alien and perfectly fitting at the same time. Like Ms Pluhar and her ensemble's previous discs on Alpha, Landi's choral works and La Tarantella , this album will transport you. On a magic carpet, rather than clapped-out Routemaster.
A stupendous record. Buy it for everyone you know who has ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunner from Alpha, 11 Oct 2011
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have a few Alpha productions cds (Bach; Britten: Dowland Nocturne For Lute & Partita 2, Works for Violin & Bass Continuo and others not listed on Amazon) and they are of exceptional quality so when I saw this CD at a bargain price I didn't think twice. It is superb. All my family love it for the car and when played on a decent hi-fi the clarity and depth of the recording are apparent. It is music without barriers for listeners without prejudice. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - what a find, 29 Jan 2005
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Loving this. Absolutely adoring it.
I know very little about classical music and am one of those people who occasionally tunes into Radio 3 for some of the stranger stuff and perhaps some World music or jazz. I happened to hear a review of the year programme around Christmas and they were discussing this. Liked what I heard. Bought it.
It absolutely blows me away. It is utterly beautiful and joyful and I would recommend it heartily to any music fan with an open mind. It vears between real brain worm melodies that are hugely catchy, and more delicate and reflective stuff. Do not let the early music/jazz improv fusion image put you off (it does sound awful but its not honest!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-weight lively "traditional" music, 16 Feb 2011
I find this music to be light and lively, its style charming (using "period" acoustic instruments). Good both for listening to while relaxing, and also as company while working. If you search on internet, I'm sure you can find some samples to listen to (e.g. YouTube).

The quality of the recording seems very good too. I like the card "box" for protecting the CD and its little booklet. It's one of my most-listened-to CDs. I've bought a few as gifts for friends (when I can find it at a sane price).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 29 Oct 2004
This is without doubt one of my records of the year.
The mixture of early music and jazz improvisations might sound like a recipe for disaster but works and then some. It is imaginative, superbly performed, and a shear delight.
Sometimes you can get stuck in a rut listening to the same old thing. If this is the case then this is the record you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 6 Nov 2007
Ms L. Dupre (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful album, full of vitality, energy and the sheer pleasure of the music. Baroque with a twist, it's "crossover" but without sounding like an unhappily arranged marriage; a perfect blend of old and new elements, with 17th century composition nestling comfortably alongside modern improvisation. The first track, Lucilla Galeazzi's Voglio una casa, sets the mood, and all that follows is an utter delight. Listen out especially for Lucas Ruiz de Ribayaz's Espanoletas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great!, 3 Oct 2007
A. Alexakis - See all my reviews
This is my first crossover CD. There is no way to describe the "elan vitale" almost all of the pieces convey. The improvisational parts of the clarinet, --especially when the pentatonic scale is employed-- give a sense of soaring and energy very few of the arrangements I have ever listened to have managed to achieve. A CD well worth every penny spent on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crossover?...more correctly, expansion., 9 Nov 2005
Keith "Mr K Hitchman" (Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am an avid BBC3 listener and try to keep up with new releases. Rarely do I have my eyebrows lifted in pleasure but this album satisfies in a strange compelling and original way. Crossover usually leaves one genre wanting but, even for die hard Renaissance listeners, this is SO successful that the jazz elements naturally fuse with the ancient instruments and forms. Ignore and we will comfort you ... eventually.