4.0 out of 5 stars Good HRM but...
This is a good HRM - comfortable and compatible with other Garmin products. However, it can be spooked by use when it is windy and you are wearign anything but teh tightest jersey. This seems to eb a known problem (check out the user forums on the Garmin website) but is a real irritation when you are using it for serious training. I'd still recommend it, but only just.
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by Monkey Do

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but not as comfy as Polar.
Published on 28 July 2010 by 1st year GEP medic

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but not as comfy as Polar., 28 July 2010
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
I bought this as I recently treated myself to a Forerunner 310XT. For years I've been using a Polar HRM which has been superbly reliable and the strap comfy and able to pick up data whilst positioned below my sports bra. Originally I thought I'd manage without the forerunner heart rate data, but I missed having that and didn't want to wear two watches in order to know my heart rate.

I ordered the premium strap as it was looked much more comfortable than the cheaper rigid plastic one. When it arrived it was clearly not going to be as comfortable as the polar strap (which is all soft material) as this one has two thin plastic patches as chest contacts. Still, I could live with that.

The biggest problem really is that it is less sensitive at detecting signals than the Polar - meaning it has to be worn higher on the chest. This means I have to tuck it under my sports bra (ouch) in order to get a signal. I should mention I work in cardiology and thus know for a fact that heart signals can easily be detected lower in the chest than this will detect - as demonstrated with the polar. By the time I've run my distance with plastic bits being held against my skin under the tight band of my sports bra I DEFINITELY know I'm wearing this!

It's a shame that one company can't get it all right. My polar HRM was great - but wouldn't send data to my mac. The forerunner is an amazing tool and mac compatible, but the strap really isn't as "premium" as I thought it would be. Perhaps Garmin need to find some product testers with breasts?

If I were a man it might get 4 or even 5 stars, but I'm not. I have the option of being uncomfortable, or not having data, which is a bit rubbish. Buy one if you're a bloke, that's my recommendation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good HRM but..., 30 Sep 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars The best - buy it now. Nothing else compares., 4 Sep 2011
S. J. Kirk "stevie-wonder" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
Got this to replace the HRM strap that was shipped with my Garmin 305 three years ago. Worked immediately out of the packaging, I did not have to do a thing to get it connected. It is comfortable, adjustable and you don't know you are wearing it. Well worth the small premium over those hard plastic fronted straps. Imagine a small matchbox cut into three slices and this would be one the slices. Its really small. I have used loads of HRM straps over the years and this is by far the best I've had.

Buy it - you can't go wrong, especially from Amazon. Was delivered within three days. 5* Amazon and 5* Garmin, what a great combination :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Oct 2012
A. R. Jones (Caerdydd) - See all my reviews
As countless others have said, the monitor gives inconsistent readings especially if wearing wicking tops (let's face who wears cotton these days). It also leaves an abrasion under/near your sternum as the bottom of the monitor digs in. Garmin are a joke selling this pile of junk on the one hand and supporting elite sports teams on the other. Stick to Polar is best advice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Heart Rate Monitor, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
I have been using Garmin heart rate monitors for some years. Both my old ones finally stopped working and I purchased two new ones, with soft strap. The monitor works fine, but the design of the strap digs into my skin and leaves a nasty wound. Not happened before. Wear very loose if you buy this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does fit a man..., 5 Aug 2010
Paul Elkington (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
An earlier female reviewer gave this two stars. As I don't have to wear a sports bra (luckily), I can confirm this is a very comfortable HRM for a man, and seems to be very accurate for me. So maybe this is one just for men.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for purpose, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
I bought this as a replacement strap for my heart rate monitor but the design has changed - for the worse.

My Garmin 310XT did not pick up the signal from the heart rate monitor. Perhaps I could have found a way to make it connect but given that the one time I wore it the strap caused chafing after only 30 mins, why would I want to?

The design of the product has changed since I bought my old strap. The new strap has seams and what feels like sharp edges... disastrous for a product designed to be worn by long-distance runners and triathletes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Causes Blisters, 11 Feb 2013
Postie (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
I had been using the standard Garmin chest strap for a couple of years when I thought I'd upgrade to the premium version. Big mistake! It chafes me in a way the standard strap doesn't, causing a blister that bleeds and takes a couple of weeks to heal. Looking on the internet tells me that I'm not the only person suffering in this way and that bandaid or gaffer tape on the strap is the remedy. I don't see why that should be necessary on an expensive piece of kit!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
this soft strap is so much more comfortable than the standard strap, and it seems to be at least as accurate. You hardly feel as though you are wearing it, where as the hard strap needs constant adjusting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 35 days only, 27 Dec 2012
... then stopped working. Battery not the problem. I have contacted Garmin support and am awaiting their answer.

It was fine - even good - until then with my android ANT+ phone.

Update: Garmin replaced it promptly without seeing the old one. Hopefully this lasts longer. Watch this space

Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor