Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 December 2009
This is War; a long overdue and highly anticipated new album from 30 Seconds to Mars.
And they've really delivered.

After hearing the release of Kings and Queens, which I loved instantly, I could see how much they had changed.
And after listening to the whole album, I could tell the ones that will make a massive impact (goosebumps are a good indication), and those that will grow on you.
Personally, Hurricane and Stranger in a Strange Land really hit the spot.
They feel so powerful, and really unique.
The fans in the background give Hurricane a great atmosphere.
And the music in the beginning of Stranger in a Strange Land can't help but captivate you.

I'd say (and this is just my opinion), that the weakest songs that will take time to grow on me(and possibly others) are Vox Populi, Search and Destroy and Alibi.
They are in no way 'awful' or 'dull'. Just not memorable when I think about the album.

The rest of the songs I haven't mentioned, really add to an extraordinary album.
You just have to listen for yourself.

Lastly, I truly adore how they've included the fans in a few of the songs, without going over the top.
As I previously mentioned, they add a great atmosphere to each song.

If you're even considering buying this album, don't think for another second and just buy it.
There are songs that you'll love, possibly accompanied by goosebumps, and those that you'll come to love in time.
on 7 December 2009
Being a fan of 30 Seconds to Mars since their debut album and having seen them in concert, I greatly anticipated the release of their latest work 'This is War'. It's been a considerable wait, with the band being involved in a protracted legal battle with their record label. But, now, the wait is over. So, was it worth it?
'Kings and Queens' is probably the track most people have heard as their introduction to the direction the band has taken and, all-in-all, it's a catchy track and a bold anthem. Unfortunately, it doesn't set the level of quality for the entire album. For a large part, it really is a mixed bag. 'Hurricane', 'This is War' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land' are strong tracks with a distinct feel to each. However, many other tracks seem overly long and uninspired, vocals sometimes seem overly strained and the lyrics lacking in maturity. And, probably most irritatingly of all, there is a chronic over-use of the 'children's choir' vocals. Used in 'This is War' and 'Kings and Queens', it's different and interesting, but I actually reached a point where I sighed and wished I could just stop listening when I'd heard the same technique used for the fifth of sixth time.
I'm not saying this is a terrible album, and clearly the people involved are very proud of their work, but it just seems flat and a tad unimaginative. I wanted to like it more, I really did, but when comparing this to their previous works, it just doesn't reach me in the same way.
on 24 December 2009
After 2005's release of the truly epic album 'A Beautiful Lie', 30 Seconds To Mars have become a international phenomenon winning various awards including Kerrang!'s band of the year in both 2007 and 2008; so it was in no doubt that their latest release, 'This Is War' had a lot to live up to.

After expecting another fantastic album similar to 'A Beautiful Lie', Jared, Tomo and Shannon have produced an album which most people did not expect. The lead single, 'Kings and Queens' only had a highest positioning of 3rd across the entire world suggested that this was a weak song, and that 30 Seconds To Mars had had their heyday. However, this is not the case.

What most people (myself included) had expected from 30STM was another 'A Beautiful Lie', an album with solid tracks throughout; and some truly awesome songs (see From Yesterday, The Kill and Attack). Jared et al haven't tried to replicate ABL, what they've done is created something with far more intrigue and depth. The title track, 'This Is War is be, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs of 2009; the suspense and drama achieved in this song is simply great. Other exceptional songs to look out for: 100 Suns, Vox Populi and Search and Destroy).

The only bad thing about this greatly artistic album is from the track L490; which has an opening unparalleled to any other song, but still doesn't really make it any good at all.

In short, if you're a 30 Seconds To Mars Fan, or a fan of well produced music with intriguing and thought provoking lyrics, this is the album for you.
on 30 November 2010
Got this album because I liked a few of the previous songs and the MP3 album was only £3. Damn glad I did as this is epic. Every single track on here is utter quality. The vocals are amazing, lyrics are thought provoking. Was expecting more songs like "The Kill" but this takes them to a different league. Excellent work :)
on 12 May 2015
Amazing album. I'd never heard of this band until the track, Kings And Queens got played recently during an exercise class and I almost stopped working out to listen to it. What a shock to find something so good amongst the usual soulless pop rubbish I have to exercise to. I found the album on YouTube and had a listen and it turned out that there were some even better tracks such as the title track, This Is War which is one of the best anti-war songs I've ever heard; if you haven't seen the video go and have a look on YouTube.
on 7 December 2009
Well they have done it again!!! Then again did we expect any less? This album shows maturity and the struggle that has gone on in the last few years. The music is captivating and entrancing. Some very slow and moving songs and others that you can have on full tilt and scream your lungs out too because thats what we love. There is alot of influence from the first 2 albums but this is in a league of its own. Hurricane is dark and powerful and one of my favorites. The others all have there own identity and I love the whole thing. What else can be said?? Stunning!!!
on 15 December 2009
I have been a fan of this band for a few years now and have the previous two awesome albums. I already love the current single 'Kings and Queens'. Some of the other tracks took a couple of listens to get used to. But now I love the album, Jarred's voice is awesome, the drumming and guitars will blow you away. Wasn't sure about kids quire initially, but it really does work well. Amazing use of strings too. Give it a few listens and you will love every track. A total grower!
on 7 December 2009
This is war has been so long in the making, I was expecting something special. However, not quite as special as this.
This album just has a more atmospheric sound than either A Beautiful Lie or 30 Seconds to Mars. It's soundtrack style, very powerful and emotive, and generally a great listen. A lot of 'emo' bands which 30 seconds to mars had been pidgeon-holed with have developed a very uninspiring, similar sound, but 30 seconds to mars have done sommething very different. I'd reccomend This Is War to anyone, if you don't buy another album this year, buy this one!
You will be impressed.
on 20 September 2012
There is a certain epic feel about this album, in its well blended mix of pop and stadium rock. A lot of the songs are crafted well enough that they feel like massive events that often sweep you up and take hold of your emotions, it isn't quite sustained for the entirety of the album but when it happens you get a glorious hint at 30 Seconds to Mars' potential. Check out the amazing `Kings and Queens' for proof of that and the brilliantly sweeping `Closer to the Edge' will back it up all the way.

Oddly enough one of the best songs is the two Minute interlude which manages to feel disproportionately epic, despite hardly being a song at all, it almost threatens to outshine the slow burning majesty of `Hurricane'.

It's worth noting that gang vocals in general are best avoided, they are annoying, cheesy and annoying however for some reason they don't invoke copious yawning, they just seem to work, fit well with the songs...and bring hope and joy to your heart.

It is not overly clever, its not as conceptually epic or musically epic as it could have been but for that sort of thing and a more hard rock edge you are best looking towards the prog like majesty of Coheed and Cambria. Still it is a good album for switching off to and letting the sound wash over you.
on 8 December 2009
I will start by saying that this album has to be one of the best, if not THE best album, that I've bought this year. I have listened to it in its entirety 13 times since I got it.
It's gorgeous, fierce, energetic and just totally epic sounding all in one. Jared Leto's awesomely powerful yet beautiful vocals flow effortlessly along with the addictive music beneath it. Just stunning. I'm really, really impressed. Cannot praise this enough. I find I want to listen to it all the time at the moment.
30 Seconds To Mars just get better and better with each release. I love them. And I love this album.
I highly recommend it.