5.0 out of 5 stars No disappointment here.
This is War; a long overdue and highly anticipated new album from 30 Seconds to Mars.
And they've really delivered.

After hearing the release of Kings and Queens, which I loved instantly, I could see how much they had changed.
Published on 12 Dec 2009 by Naomi

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wait is Over....
Being a fan of 30 Seconds to Mars since their debut album and having seen them in concert, I greatly anticipated the release of their latest work 'This is War'. It's been a considerable wait, with the band being involved in a protracted legal battle with their record label. But, now, the wait is over. So, was it worth it?
'Kings and Queens' is probably the track most...
Published on 7 Dec 2009 by Mr. D. Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars No disappointment here., 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
And they've really delivered.

And after listening to the whole album, I could tell the ones that will make a massive impact (goosebumps are a good indication), and those that will grow on you.
Personally, Hurricane and Stranger in a Strange Land really hit the spot.
They feel so powerful, and really unique.
The fans in the background give Hurricane a great atmosphere.
And the music in the beginning of Stranger in a Strange Land can't help but captivate you.

I'd say (and this is just my opinion), that the weakest songs that will take time to grow on me(and possibly others) are Vox Populi, Search and Destroy and Alibi.
They are in no way 'awful' or 'dull'. Just not memorable when I think about the album.

The rest of the songs I haven't mentioned, really add to an extraordinary album.
You just have to listen for yourself.

Lastly, I truly adore how they've included the fans in a few of the songs, without going over the top.
As I previously mentioned, they add a great atmosphere to each song.

If you're even considering buying this album, don't think for another second and just buy it.
There are songs that you'll love, possibly accompanied by goosebumps, and those that you'll come to love in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?, 30 Nov 2010
Mr. M. AYRES "mayres1975" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
Got this album because I liked a few of the previous songs and the MP3 album was only 3. Damn glad I did as this is epic. Every single track on here is utter quality. The vocals are amazing, lyrics are thought provoking. Was expecting more songs like "The Kill" but this takes them to a different league. Excellent work :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Rocks, 15 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of this band for a few years now and have the previous two awesome albums. I already love the current single 'Kings and Queens'. Some of the other tracks took a couple of listens to get used to. But now I love the album, Jarred's voice is awesome, the drumming and guitars will blow you away. Wasn't sure about kids quire initially, but it really does work well. Amazing use of strings too. Give it a few listens and you will love every track. A total grower!

4.0 out of 5 stars This. Is. War., 24 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
After 2005's release of the truly epic album 'A Beautiful Lie', 30 Seconds To Mars have become a international phenomenon winning various awards including Kerrang!'s band of the year in both 2007 and 2008; so it was in no doubt that their latest release, 'This Is War' had a lot to live up to.

After expecting another fantastic album similar to 'A Beautiful Lie', Jared, Tomo and Shannon have produced an album which most people did not expect. The lead single, 'Kings and Queens' only had a highest positioning of 3rd across the entire world suggested that this was a weak song, and that 30 Seconds To Mars had had their heyday. However, this is not the case.

What most people (myself included) had expected from 30STM was another 'A Beautiful Lie', an album with solid tracks throughout; and some truly awesome songs (see From Yesterday, The Kill and Attack). Jared et al haven't tried to replicate ABL, what they've done is created something with far more intrigue and depth. The title track, 'This Is War is be, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs of 2009; the suspense and drama achieved in this song is simply great. Other exceptional songs to look out for: 100 Suns, Vox Populi and Search and Destroy).

The only bad thing about this greatly artistic album is from the track L490; which has an opening unparalleled to any other song, but still doesn't really make it any good at all.

In short, if you're a 30 Seconds To Mars Fan, or a fan of well produced music with intriguing and thought provoking lyrics, this is the album for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, just like always. (:, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
After a long wait, and a lot of legal battles, 30 Seconds to Mars have finally released this album. And what an album it is. Fans like us have been waiting a long time for this album, so we expected something outstanding, and so it is.

This album proves what 30 Seconds to Mars are capable of, which is hell of a lot. Full of tracks like "Kings & Queens", leave you belting out the tune in the middle of a math classroom... it's just addicting. A must-have, absolutely breathtaking. <3

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is War, 8 Dec 2009
Ms. Suzanne R. Dinsley "Tupelo Honey" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
I only discovered 30 Seconds to Mars about six months and instantly fell in love with their music, and having been lucky enough to see them recently at Koko's in London fell in love with them all over again. Was so excited about the release of This Is War and having received it last week and listened to constantly since can say I am not disappointed. I think this album is achingly beautiful, heart rending, powerful and passionate. I'm probably a little biased but definitely the album of the year! Give it a try and I bet you fall in love with it too - along with their previous offerings 'A Beautiful Lie' and '30 Seconds to Mars' X

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!!!, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (MP3 Download)
Well they have done it again!!! Then again did we expect any less? This album shows maturity and the struggle that has gone on in the last few years. The music is captivating and entrancing. Some very slow and moving songs and others that you can have on full tilt and scream your lungs out too because thats what we love. There is alot of influence from the first 2 albums but this is in a league of its own. Hurricane is dark and powerful and one of my favorites. The others all have there own identity and I love the whole thing. What else can be said?? Stunning!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing doesn't even cover it., 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
I will start by saying that this album has to be one of the best, if not THE best album, that I've bought this year. I have listened to it in its entirety 13 times since I got it.
It's gorgeous, fierce, energetic and just totally epic sounding all in one. Jared Leto's awesomely powerful yet beautiful vocals flow effortlessly along with the addictive music beneath it. Just stunning. I'm really, really impressed. Cannot praise this enough. I find I want to listen to it all the time at the moment.
30 Seconds To Mars just get better and better with each release. I love them. And I love this album.
I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wait is Over...., 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
'Kings and Queens' is probably the track most people have heard as their introduction to the direction the band has taken and, all-in-all, it's a catchy track and a bold anthem. Unfortunately, it doesn't set the level of quality for the entire album. For a large part, it really is a mixed bag. 'Hurricane', 'This is War' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land' are strong tracks with a distinct feel to each. However, many other tracks seem overly long and uninspired, vocals sometimes seem overly strained and the lyrics lacking in maturity. And, probably most irritatingly of all, there is a chronic over-use of the 'children's choir' vocals. Used in 'This is War' and 'Kings and Queens', it's different and interesting, but I actually reached a point where I sighed and wished I could just stop listening when I'd heard the same technique used for the fifth of sixth time.
I'm not saying this is a terrible album, and clearly the people involved are very proud of their work, but it just seems flat and a tad unimaginative. I wanted to like it more, I really did, but when comparing this to their previous works, it just doesn't reach me in the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album to date, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this album, I absolutely loved every track - which is unusual for me, mostly an album has to grow on me a little! If I had to pick a favourite track, it would be hurricane, but only just. The album shows how much 30STM have grown as a band, I'm gutted they are now taking a break (for Jared to act I hope), they were awesome in concert.

This Is War
This Is War by Thirty Seconds To Mars (Audio CD - 2009)