Format: DVDChange

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 January 2012
If you are as sick of pre-packaged TV comedy of the McIntyre variety as I am, fed up with the dizziness that ensues from following an over-restless `stand-up` as he prowls and paces the stage like a caged tiger, unmoved by the heartlessness of Boyle, Carr and their ilk, weary of the over-emphatic long-windedness of so many of today`s funny men, then the great little Dylan Moran may well be for you.
I can`t imagine Moran hosting, or even appearing on, an over-egged show like Live At The Apollo, with its joyless "look at all the celebrities we`ve got in the audience tonight" showbiz superficiality.
I think he`s the funniest, most watchable comedian now working. He has all the surreal, slurry randomness of the superb Eddie Izzard, without his occasional tendency to over-do things and digress a topic too far.
When Moran walks out onto the stage at Sydney, he appears like a tousle-haired, rather naughty schoolboy who`s been at his dad`s drinks cabinet and downed one too many. He`s in a great tradition of seemingly mildly soused comics, the most obvious being his fellow-Irishman, the late lamented Dave Allen, whose delivery and style Moran`s resembles. One assumes he was gratefully influenced by the master.
I love the Izzardian way his thoughts get scrambled, his sentences meandering into bathetic blind alleys that are funnier than if he`d over-rehearsed each & every gag.
(Perhaps he has, though. You never know with comics - apparently Frankie Howerd could be heard practising all his "Ooohs" and "Aaahs".)
He`s also very funny, did I forget to say? Too rarely do I laugh out loud at comics these days - it`s pretty rare I laugh much at any of them, truth be told - but this Australian gig had me laughing loud and often.
A true original, I like and love Dylan Moran. And that`s what it`s all about.
on 25 November 2009
The thing with seeing a Dylan Moran show or dvd, is that you know it will be good. I sat down to watch this, after seeing the show live in Bristol last year, and knew I was in for a treat. He doesn't disappoint.

Dylan Moran begins this show in a superbly bumbling fashion, pretty much walking out onto stage and shrugging. But, ironically when you consider the themes he talks about, this evolves into passionate rants about just about anything he can think of to complain about.

Of course, amongst 80 minutes of talking, there is a great deal of cynicism, but that's always been part of Moran's charm. The passion he shows is addictive, and you can feel the audience growing with it. This is true stand-up comedy: One man + one stage + one microphone = jokes. simple. The way Moran manages to diversify from this very simple comedy formula is by being a very unique observational comedian and by giving very bizarre analogies. It's pure, and it's superb.

"What It Is" is a perfect title for this show, and Moran talks about pretty much everything, and this can be summed up by the way he begins the show; with material on God and science and the creation of the world. Common Moran themes like self-improvement and foreign countries (and their accents) crop up, however more fresh and broad themes are talked about, such as Death, Consumerism, Child-rearing, pleasure and, er... confectionery.

"What It Is" could be viewed as a dark and cynical talk about the difficult issues in life, maybe even a passionate lecture, but the difference is, Moran manages to cover these topics whilst being outrageously funny. This DVD is superb from start to finish, and leaves you wanting to go have a cake. Moran would be pleased.
11 comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2011
You know, there's a saying about humor. And it's, "the most important thing in... (TIMING!!!)" or at least that's how a friend of mine says it. lol As an American, (who lives in America no less) i'm not used to seeing foreign comedians and was unsure about exactly what to expect. And I was blown away by what Dylan Moran put on in Sydney! And on a side note, it was nice to see him say some things that I was feeling for quite a while but just never got around to saying (about being an adult, women's modesty [I especially loved the suicide bomber bit!] etc.) and that just further add to the enjoyment I felt for watching his standup. I already ordered his collection (the "Monster" and the "Like... Totally" shows that're on one disc) and I can't wait to see those two shows! (and felt especially lucky that I got one of the last two that amazon had "at the time"! So 5 stars for Dylan Moran and i'm sure that his collection will earn 5 stars from me as well!

Lastly, I was blown away by the shipping speed of amazon.co.uk. They shipped it to me TWELVE DAYS EARLY!!! (from the earliest expected ship date!) and I only chose economy shipping no less! So i'm very satisfied with amazon.co.uk's service and I hope that this will continue in the future!
on 7 January 2010
My son is the Moran fan and has sat me through Black Books more than once but luckily I loved it. He also frequently comes to me with laptop in hand telling I 'just have to see this bit on YouTube' and it is always funny. So for my son's 18th I spent a fortune taking him to the live show as a surprise and it was fabulous. I then bought the DVD as a Christmas pressie and was concerned that it would be mostly what we'd seen in the live show - it wasn't and that is one of the reasons this is such a great DVD (and why I had to give the whole preamble). I am not a great fan of stand up DVDs but this is a real treat. Moran is clever, witty and throughly engaging. BUY IT!
on 29 January 2010
I've read other reviews that pretty much say that this is not his best work, and I guess they have a point. But for people -such as me- who had never, ever, ever seen Mr. Moran perform this is captivating stuff. What I mean is that it works differently with different viewers, that's all. If you had not seen Dylan Moran on stage, you'll absolutely love this!
*By the way, I watched his DVD's in backward order and ended loving this more, haha, so check them all out and decide how they work for you* Enjoy! Dylan Moran rocks!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2010
I saw Dylan Moran perform this 'what it is' at the Apollo in London, and assumed that would be the recording that got put on the DVD. However, it is actually filmed in Sydney, so it's lovely to get a change of scene. As per usual, Mr Moran is hilariously synical, although a little part of me thinks he's mellowed somewhat since the arrival of 'Monster'. Absolutely brilliant though, and I recommend you buy it immediately!
on 4 January 2010
Dylan Moran seems to get funnier with age Dylan is certainly one of Ireland's biggest talents, this is a must have dvd for any stand up fan. Dyaln covers many topics from love to religion and is hilarious it is a non stop laughter show.what it is is Dylans finest performance to date
on 24 December 2012
Some people won't, it's not for everyone - like all the best comedy. But he is so quick, and all over the place and slightly difficult to follow. Which means you enjoy it for 3 or 4 views at least! Really good, has a brilliant sceptical look at life...
on 20 August 2011
This stand up is the next peg up the run for dylan Moran it just gets better and better as he grows older and more bitter !
went to manchester to see this live and it was fantasic so had to get the dvd and at this price its well worth the spend!
on 1 January 2010
This is possibly his best stand up dvd to date, I spent about an hour of it almost unable to breathe. His whole act is finely tuned and incredibly well performed, he even manages to be philisophical and insightful in the process.