5.0 out of 5 stars The antidote
If you are as sick of pre-packaged TV comedy of the McIntyre variety as I am, fed up with the dizziness that ensues from following an over-restless `stand-up` as he prowls and paces the stage like a caged tiger, unmoved by the heartlessness of Boyle, Carr and their ilk, weary of the over-emphatic long-windedness of so many of today`s funny men, then the great little Dylan...
Published on 20 Jan 2012 by GlynLuke

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a very sad day when I have to give Dylan Moran 2 stars
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by E. J. Quin

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing live!, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
This stand up is the next peg up the run for dylan Moran it just gets better and better as he grows older and more bitter !
went to manchester to see this live and it was fantasic so had to get the dvd and at this price its well worth the spend!

5.0 out of 5 stars moran at top of is game, 4 Jan 2010
Ba Williams (swansea wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
Dylan Moran seems to get funnier with age Dylan is certainly one of Ireland's biggest talents, this is a must have dvd for any stand up fan. Dyaln covers many topics from love to religion and is hilarious it is a non stop laughter show.what it is is Dylans finest performance to date

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
This is possibly his best stand up dvd to date, I spent about an hour of it almost unable to breathe. His whole act is finely tuned and incredibly well performed, he even manages to be philisophical and insightful in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Moran, 2 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is so funny it's possibly life threatening. It should carry a health warning. The Extras are a bit of a puzzle, but they're short, and you don't have to bother with them if you don't want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it, Love it, 12 Feb 2010
Melanie Kiernan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
I have always enjoyed watching Dylan Moran but only recently got some of his DVDs, this is absolutely fantastic!! I had pains from laughing so much...You have to hand it to the guy, he is spot on!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a very sad day when I have to give Dylan Moran 2 stars, 29 Dec 2009
E. J. Quin (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
Ok here's how it is. Years ago, I watched Dylan's stand up 'Monster' on the television and laughed hysterically until I had a terrible stomach ache. I was sat on a chair at the start and I literally ended up on the floor. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen full-stop, never mind the funniest stand-up. Of course, I bought Monster, which I cherish and also Like, Totally Dylan Moran. I rate these 5 and 4 stars consecutively. I went to see What it is live in London, and had a great night out but in terms of comedic value, it didn't match up to either of these. Having watched the DVD, I am sorry to say that I was little more than amused. He seemed to go over the same topics and say more or less the same thing about them.

I really do love Dylan Moran but nevertheless, I didn't feel like he really gave it his all. He seemed a little too comfortable and he's usually an intensely anxious character on stage. He was in and out of character whereas I prefer when he commits to being dishevelled and disorderly for the entire performance so I can get lost in his endless world-weary grumpiness and rage, and really believe in it. This time, I was more aware that it was Dylan Moran on stage rather than his drunken persona. Like, Totally had the same feel but to a lesser extent. I also felt that there weren't enough long sequences. Dylan Moran is so skilful in the sense that he can paint a picture in no less than a few words; he's so succinct and clever and can build up a long story, holding your attention and making you laugh at every step of the way. For example, the story with the skin-head in Monster is hilarious from start to finish whereas the stories and jokes in What It Is are more direct and less vivid.

Dylan Moran is so talented and I bet you'd enjoy What it is, but I can't recommend it - buy Monster!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Received with thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, genius, 4 Sep 2014
accuracy's nice (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
hilarious, genius

2.0 out of 5 stars Some faint smiles, but no big laughs, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
This concert DVD, from Sydney May 2009, is my first experience of Dylan Moran live, and I'm disappointed at how pedestrian it is. From watching him in "Black Books" he seemed like a natural comic performer. Here, though the energy isn't there. The vibe just isn't great. Throughout the whole show there are no big laughs from the audience, just the token laughs comedians get for all their jokes- that's how the audience reaction struck me, anyway. The material is reasonably well-observed, but there's nothing particularly funny about it. All in all, it's a bit flat, and not so good as to merit a DVD release at a fairly substantial price for 77 minutes of performance (also three 2-minute films collectively called "The Perception" as extras, showing Dylan and his manager(?) planning how to make people like him more- moderately entertaining). Not a great advert for Moran's talents.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big fan of Dylan Moran in Black Books. his on stage show is good, but his material doesn't feel very new.

Dylan Moran Live - What It Is [DVD]