on 13 June 2010
I purchased this to replace an aging Belkin g router. My initial choice had been a Netgear product - but it was faulty and was returned. I then studied some further reviews, and was persuaded to go for the Billion BiPAC 7300N because of its reported reliability. It was a good choice.

To my mind, a router is doing its job properly when you can forget about ... I want 24/7 reliability, no signal drop outs, and a good strong signal everywhere in our 3 storey house. The Billion is delivering this.

It was a doddle to set up - taking no more than 10 minutes - including configuring the security settings. My main reason for upgrading now is because a new internet-capable television in the sitting room was not reliably wirelessly streaming BBC i-player from the router in the hall (only about 5 metres away). The Billion solved this problem instantly - and I can now make full use of the TV without using an ethernet cable. No problem with streaming of HD video either.

Further away from the router, a home office computer can also now stream video wirelessly and reliably. My son also reports that the quality is reliable when network gaming on his PS3.

The old Belkin also had a habit of stopping working altogether - requiring it to be switched off and on again, about once a week on average. So far, no problems like this with the Billion.

So, all in all I'm very pleased - it does what I want it to do, without fuss - and I can forget about it.
on 23 May 2010
Bought this wireless modem router largely on the strength of the excellent reviews of other Billion routers and to date I have not been disappointed. The previous Thompson wireles router was unreliable; it dropped the signal with annoying regularity. This was in spite of being recommended by Tiscali; even several 'phone calls to them only helped to a limited degree.
In complete contrast, we've had this one for 1 month now and not once has the connection failed. Whilst there is a slight increase in speed, (upgrading from a g to an n class) the main advantage is the signal strength which easily covers the whole house and the garden.The router is supplied with telephone and ethernet cables together with a cd which contains the quick start guide and manual. The router easily set up within a few minutes and then you can alter settings by clicking onto the appropriate menu. You can enable ESSID so no one will be able to locate the access port of your router.
on 4 June 2010
A modem router that runs cool, does not lose the signal or lose the adsl connection and works as it should out of the box . Goodbye Linksys (rubbish), Netgear (overated rubbish) and Belkin (really rubbish). In short this product is reliable, albeit a bit more expensive, and worth every penny. It's (as the Americans would say) a no brainer. Incidentally I use a Mac as well as a Windows 7 computer on my network and neither experience any problems.
on 31 July 2010
I would give this 5 stars as it does what it says on the tin - and seems to do it well.

However after about an hour of struggling, I can't get my Sonos system to connect to it. This is not necessarily a fault with the Billion router, so I'm giving a one star just so that others might be wary if they have a Sonos system and are considering buying this router.

As is probably apparent, wireless music and the costly Sonos system I have invested in, is a fairly large part of this routers function.

I'm going to continue my battle and will update if I'm successful, but right now, everything else has connected, but not Sonos....

UPDATE/EDIT:

Thanks to some help from Sonos, I found the answer.... change the bandwidth on the Billion router to 20MHZ from 20/40MHZ and Sonos will see it.
on 12 September 2010
I was looking for a router to replace my existing ageing router which had started dropping it's connection and constantly needed restarting.

After checking the Amazon reviews I decided on the Billion BiPAC 7300N due to it's cooler running. From experience I have found that less heat indicates lower power consumption, longer life span, and better reliability.

Out of the box the Billion is extremely simple to set up, with a very friendly browser based Quick Start function on the router. I was literally online within a couple of minutes of switching it on for the first time. No need to plug the laptop in to it to switch on the WiFi. Hurrah!

The router does come with a LAN cable, which is nice, but it doesn't come with a vertical stand. It does, however, have screw slots on the back, so you can mount it to pretty much any flat surface, on the wall, under the desk, whatever.

The User Interface also has a tab to switch between Basic and Advanced configuration modes where you can modify every setting I've ever heard of, and a whole heap of things I've never heard of, if there is ever the need. Very er. . . advanced.

The thing that has impressed me most about this router is the reliability of the connections. So much so that I've now mounted it on a joist in the loft where I don't have to look at it. Oh yeah, and so I get more even coverage through the house and garden. If the ADSL does get kicked off, as happens occasionally when our provider is doing maintenance, I don't need to restart it. I just sit on my hands for a minute and wait for it to automatically re-connect.

So, now, a month on and I'm happy because my iPlayer streams beautifully and doesn't freeze at critical moments, the wife's happy because there's room for an extra potted plant in the lounge where there used to be a router and a bundle of wires, and Amazon's happy 'cause they've got another satisfied customer. Yeay!
on 23 August 2010
I am just at loss for words in having to review this router negatively as I really wanted to use it and still refuse to believe how many problems I had with it, called and wrote to Billion and they could not help.

I tried using this router on two different MacBooks in wireless mode, one of the two computers connected immediately but lost connection completely every time I moved away more than 5 metres from the router, repeated various times the same operation with the other MacBook aluminium computer and it just NEVER connected to the router unless it was in ethernet mode. Reinstalled everything, reset the router various times, had problems configuring with Safari browser and so used Firefox browser, did everything I could mostly following Billion Bipac instructions and... nothing, it never worked. Still in disbelief I had to go back to my basic Zyxel router which sometimes drops the line but at least works with my computers.
on 21 November 2010
Is there anything more tedious than trying to tweak a router's settings to make it work? This one just works. You plug it in and it more or less does the rest. I use it in g-mode and had to tinker a bit with the type of encryption to get a seamless replacement for an old Belkin router that really couldn't cope with my children simultaneously playing on Xbox live, but it was minutes not hours to do this. The signal is good and strong, significantly better than the four plus year old one it replaced, and connection speed for us is about 10% better. The boys can now both shoot people online simultaneously, which is sadly the key to a happy household, and connecting and disconnecting gadgets to it doesn't seem to cause any problems at all. It hasn't crashed or misbehaved at all so far. It's slightly more plasticky than the photograph makes it appear, and also rather smaller than I expected. I can't say it's an ornament in the home, but it does what I bought it for.
on 17 December 2010
I deliberated long and hard before deciding to buy this router. My existing router was an 11g standard 3Com product which I had soldiered on with for far too long. As a rural broadband user, the requirement is to make the best of the basic service I have and this Billion product has been reliable (i.e. no dropouts, a daily chore with 3Com!), runs cool and does exactly what it should. I know it has made an improvement because my wife can now watch episodes of soap operas on her laptop seamlessly without picture freeze and staccato audio! If you are looking for a good 11n standard router for less than £100, then this one is recommended.
on 14 December 2010
I've had this unit just over two weeks now and have had no problems with it. It's not the prettiest box in the world, but I can live with that. I have swapped-out the modem-router that was supplied by O2 for this one to get more reliable and faster internal wireless connections. The old unit worked fine, but when I streamed music around the house (using Apple airport express boxes) I got stuttering from time to time.

I found that I had to change a couple of the default settings on the box to get it to work properly on O2 (found after trawling the forums), but no great hassle. I also had to do a bit of twiddling with the default security to get it to work with all my existing kit (of various ages).

Bottom line is that it all works fine. I haven't had to touch it since it was set up. The internal speeds have increased. There is no stuttering when streaming music to the airport express boxes (even to more than one at once).

TECHY BIT:
My only disappointment is that it doesn't use the 5 GHz band which makes the MIMO functionality rather limited. No problem at the moment, but I will wait to see if it can handle streaming video.

UPDATE: Jan 2011
I've finally got round to sorting out my network settings. Changing the security allowed the router to change up a gear from 54Mbps to 300 Mbps (ie 802.11g to 802.11n). This is significantly faster ! The network can handle HD video streamed from the web (eg BBC iPlayer) and from a PC (not bad 'cos it doubles the network traffic). HOWEVER: the signal strength seems to have reduced such that the positioning of one of the airport express boxes is now just on the edge. Overall rating of product remains the same.
on 17 January 2011
Bought this router as I had read many good reviews for Billion products. Having decided against brands such as Linksys, Netgear & D-link (at least against the products offered in my price range) I thought this unit would be ideal.

Initially it setup fine, connected ok...great I thought. THEN...disconnection. Sure it re-syncs automatically like all routers but this proved to happen about once every 5 to 10 minutes, totally irritating.

I tried many different configurations, settings, etc but could not get it to connect in a stable state. Which is a shame because I wanted to like this router.

Maybe I was unlucky with a faulty one, but either way, back to Amazon it went for a refund.

The search for a reliable wireless N router for under £80 that doesn't have a bunch of bad reviews goes on.....

See one answered question