Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 12 November 2014
Very happy
on 6 May 2009
I am sorry. I really wished to disagree with the other negative reviews but I cannot.

I do not mind a lack of theme tune, since I do not require such from a film score in order to appreciate it. Mature music is enough for me, whether melodic or distinctly atonal. However, the one phrase theme motif which reoccurs throughout the CD, but never really develops is dull - and worse... it catches in the mind which makes it even more irritating.

This is where this score falls flat and is in no wise a worthy successor to Goldsmith, Horner or Eidelman. As said, I think, by another reviewer, it is a bland score... though it does have its moments, especially in the Nero related tracks, but few and far between. I found myself inwardly groaning every time the music returned to the heroically dull one phrase underdeveloped theme motif. It is almost as if the composer couldn't be bothered to write more than the opening phrase of his hero theme.

I so much wanted to disagree with the other reviewers, but, for the most part, they are correct.
on 9 May 2009
I'm afraid I cannot agree with the other reviewers. I saw the movie at a preview showing and it knocked my socks off - including the music! Although I had reservations about the re-booting of a franchise which I fell in love with at the tender age of 13 in 1969 (I'm now 53) I need not have worried! Star Trek is in safe hands.

I feel that Michael Giacchino's music really enhanced the on-screen visual images and the whole package can only be described as truly excellent. I liked the music so much, I ordered the album from Amazon the very next day. In fact I'm listening to it as I write this review.

So I can only say what we all know - music is very much down to personal taste and I would recommend the album to one and all!
on 7 May 2009
If you are hoping for a score like the previous trek films, then this is not the CD for you. Like the film itself (which I saw today), the score is not very much like the Star Trek we know at all, and if that is your reason for buying, then I suggest you wait until you have seen the movie and decide whether you like it or not.
on 5 April 2015
good
VINE VOICEon 2 May 2009
I was looking forward to this soundtrack and yet not really expecting too much, as I think Michael Giacchino, like most of the current crop of prolific new composers, is bland. There are composers around who still have a distinct sound, and even one or two of the more recent talents have a new sound, like Gustavo Santaolalla, Javier Navarrete, Alexandre Desplat, even Marco Beltrami. But Giacchino doesn't impress me, and unfortunately, this soundtrack only furthers my opinion of him.

Most of the music here is incidental. There are no real themes to speak of. In fact, the only true melody of any sort, which is also the best music on the soundtrack, is the original series theme by Alexander Courage. That doesn't say much for Giacchino's work. Don't get me wrong, I've seen the film, and the music works pretty well when accompanying the images. I enjoyed the film, but this score simply does not work when isolated from the film. Defenders might argue that it IS, after all, a soundtrack. Yes, it is, and yes, if it works in the film then it's done its job. But that isn't what we're discussing here. We're talking about the isolated score, as sold. And as such, it fails.

It's not the first Star Trek score to fail in this way - Cliff Eidelman's score for Star Trek VI worked fine in the movie but failed as a soundtrack release. Dennis McCarthy's score failed in both. James Horner was hit and miss, but his scores are warm and accessible. Only Goldsmith really knew what he was doing, and let's face it, his scores were often superior to the movie they were supporting. The same can't be said for Giacchino. Incidental music is for television, and that's probably where he's best suited, not on a movie as big as this.
88 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2009
Not the greatest film score of the year but a solid effort from Michael Giacchino who blends old and new to combine well.
on 29 April 2009
Having seen the trailers on i-tunes I thought this would be a great soundtrack CD to get unfortunately now I've sat and listened to the CD I feel cheated as the sound on the trailer is nothing like those on the CD.

It's an ok soundtrack CD - but nothing like any previous Star Trek soundtracks (yes I have quite a few).

Would I listen to it again - probably not.

Go see the movie (which is great) but give this soundtrack a miss.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse