Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 27 October 2009
I am really impressed with the capability of this "tiny" camera. Its not just compact but also really easy to use with very intuitive switches and buttons a real "plug and play" set up (even on Vista) with a simple drag and drop facility.

The video quality is very good with very little motion blur (see below) and the run time is acceptable (although in the cold winter mornings, you can cut the time by TWO THIRDS!).

Good points

* Cheap (for an action Camera). Being under £100 makes this a vital tool to ensure a little extra safety on my commute each day, there are plenty of Plus £100 cameras around that have nowhere near the quality and capability of this camera
* Light, Its built of sturdy metal and feel solid, but as it is so small it is very light and sits on a cycle helmet/head band without you even noticing the weight.
* Very, very, very small (have I mentioned the size!!)
* Simple to use (even for a fat fingered oaf like me)
* Simple to set up (just plug it in the USB, and it appears as a drive on the PC)
* Robust and sturdy design, made of solid and chunky metal not plastic
* Vox setting (voice control, a simple slide switch to turn's the camera into an auto record unit)
Bad Points

* Initially very jerky...this was solved by the addition of a higher class memory card than the standard (that the camera ships with). I didn't realise that storage cards record at different rates and the rate at which this camera produces images is effectively quicker than the standard card can burn. A new class 6 SDHC card works wonders and produces really good, smooth results

* 30 minute record segments. The camera stops recording after 30 minutes. However, if you switch on the vox setting the camera automatically starts recording again without any need to push buttons or "restart" (I use the camera to record a 60 to 90 minute commute and it never misses a beat).
* Weather proofing......well, it isn't....... so it wont stand up to rain and water (no water sports I'm afraid) even the "Extreme sports " pack's rubber cover/gator is pretty useless as the camera will not sit in any of the provided mounts with the gator fitted...very poor design of this component in my opinion. However the sports pack does excel in the provision of a multitude of very secure and very simple mounts for all other applications (motorcycle, cycle, car, head cam, climbing, skating etc etc)

The camera's use is massively enhanced by the additional "Extreme sports pack". To be honest, it's a little useless without it. The sports pack is a little costly, However the camera itself is pretty cheap so the two combined still cost less than most action cameras.

The SD card that the camera ships with is not (in my opinion) up to the job and creates jumpy and jerky (almost wobbly) footage. I really recommend the acquisition of a good High class card to replace the standard (costs about £10 to do so)

In addition, software shipped with the cam includes WEB cam software, I've yet to play with this but allegedly its plug & play .....and if the use-ability of the camera is anything to go by, then the webcam set up should be very straight forward.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2009
From the reviews of other similar products I didn't have my hopes raised too high for this one. I was wrong. It's solidly built and well presented and the video quality in daylight is comparable to my Sony handycam. (if you prop it up and leave it to record.) artificial light sees quality drop dramatically, but what do you expect for the price. On the con side. buy the 8GB optional card as the one enclosed only gives 40 mins recording max and the instructions are a little on the sparse side. On the whole a great buy.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2010
Used this for the first time the other day, just clipped it to the top of my safety vest. Really impressed with teh quality (this video is rendered down to FLV the original file size was 899mb AVI and really pin sharp with good colour. I have just started biking and reviewing footage like the attached helps me to see if I am riding as well as I could be - road position etc, also lets me highlight other drivers doing silly things so I can improve my observationn skills.

1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2009
Muvi Micro Camcorder

I bought this as I was looking for a small camcorder that I could use at home or work rather than carrying around a larger camcorder or camera with video capabilities. I have these other items but find them bulky and it's obvious I'm using them. If you are loking for something discrete then this is the item for you.
Despite it's small size it is particularly well built, made from alloy and not plastic so it feels solid.
It is simple to use and after a few minutes checking it over I was recording straight out of the box and downloading my efforts to see what I recorded.
I first used it handheld and recorded in bright sunshine outdoors and moved inside and the lens coped well with the change in light and adjusted very quickly. The colours too are very clear and true and the recorded movement was realistic not like some other small camcorders and webcams I have used which have a slight delay slowing motion down.
I recoreded later at night in the rain under street lights with it worn on my clothing and it worked better that I thought it would with the camera picking up eveything despite the lack of daylight. The inbuilt microphone worked well picking up conversations from people around me as well as my own voice.
Downloading is so simple and the camcorder comes with 2 USB connectors, one in lead form so it can be used as a webcam or a simple USB connector which plugs directly into the camcorder then into the PC. Downloading is quick and the footage plays directly in Windows Media Player and I was able to archive and store my files with ease.
The camcorder comes with a clip which I used to attach to my clothing and it is easily adjustable and can be clipped to any part of your clothing. I used the neckstrap attached to the top of the camcorder as well as the clip for added security but to be honest wasn't really required as the clip felt sturdy enough.
At last I have found something that actually claims to be what it says and would recommend this to anyone.
I will be buying the accessory pack with additional attachments for bike and helmet etc.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2012
From reading the other reviews this item seems to be hit or miss whether you receive one which works properly. Unfortunately mine didn't work properly. The sound recording was distorted and I wasn't impressed with the juddering image quality either. I didn't open the box for a while after receipt so I missed the opportunity to return it for a refund. The only consolation is that I didn't pay the full £80 price for it. Maybe it's a sub-standard batch that is being sold off at the moment? I tried a new class 10 memory card with it to see if that made it any better than the one supplied, but it didn't.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2009
I have wanted a mini cam for sometime to take out Moutain Biking and finally bought this one after reading the reviews. This is a fantatsic piece of kit. About the size of those throw away cigarette lighters, but it is surprisingly heavy and gives the impression of being very robust. It is very easy to use with very few buttons and nothing to set up, it is all plug and play. The relevant parts of the user manual are only about 7-8 pages (in large font in the PDF document).

I also bought
- the Extreme sports pack (more of this later).
- An 8gb card (approx 6 hours) which should be sufficent for most trips. The 2gb card that it comes with holds about 90 minutes
- VEHO recharger plug, makes re-charging exceptionally easy (especially if you haven't got a PC with you)

Good bits:
- size
- ease of use both itself and on the PC
- picture quality is excellent for something of this lens size
- Re-charges fully in about 2 hours
- good variety of straps and mounts
- Good sound quality (haven't tried the voice activation bit yet)
- The mounts seem very secure, but I might use a zip tie in bumpy conditions just in case. If you lose it the size will make it very difficult to find!

Bad bits:
- You can't see what you are recording, or have recorded, without a PC. This can make setting up the cam in the right place a little difficult and you will need to try out the varions straps to get the positioning correct.
- No instructions with the sports kit. Although it is fairly easy to work out which straps are for what, it isn't easy to work out the best way to attach them to the mounts.
- Velcro straps are fiddly and attache themselves to anything that you don't want them to! especially the inside pads of a cycle helemt!

Extreme Sports kit
- Handle bar strap - gives very shaky images (made my wife feel seasick watching them!) and lots of background noise I think from the vibrations thru the bike.
- Head strap is fine, but I wear a helmet (everyone should when cycling) so not really practical. May be ok for skiing.
- Arm strap - No good for biking, the cam it points at the sky most of the time. Probably ok for skiing though.
- Helemt strap - This is good and reduces the background noise. Downside is you can't see the cam and will need someone to tell you if it is a the correct angle for recording.
- When on, the rubber weather jacket means you can't use the mounts and can only use the straps. Unless there is a way of doing so that I have'nt found yet.

In summary I am very pleased so far, but have only tested locally and not in any serious MTB conditions.
on 14 June 2010
I bought this after initially going to buy the £19.99 one from Ebuyer. Some of the reviews I saw of that recommended this one. I was pleasantly surprised with the video quality. In bright light outdoors, it's fantastic quality, sharp, bright and colours are rich. The sound does let it down though. It's a bit distorted especially when in a noisy situation or where it's a bit windy. If quality video is more important to you than sound, then buy it.

It comes with a handy clip, which adjusts to 360 degrees, so however you clip it to you clothing, you can make sure it's straight. I am currently using the 2GB card that came with it, and has so far been enough. Don't try to view the videos from the card whilst in the camera though, it's very jerky. Copy them to your computer first. Movies are saved in the common and popular format of .AVI so compatibility issues with other software aren't an issue.

Well worth the money, just for the video quality. It's tiny too, light and robust, as it's made of metal.
on 11 January 2011
I bought the Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorderalong with the Veho VCC-A001ESP Extreme Sports Pack for Muvi Micro DV Camcorder just before Christmas.

I wanted a small, cheap video camera that can be used for action shooting. So, on a bike, from the car, attached to the dog, flown from a kite, etc. I've tried the first three of these and it works excellently.

For what I paid I consider it to be an excellent purchase but there are some niggles that stop if from getting a full five star review.
* Video files are not stored on the microSD card with a date stamp. This makes it very difficult to browse through the footage you have shot in anything other than a random order.
* It isn't very good in low light conditions. To be honest, I wasn't expecting such a small, cheap video camera to cope with low light so it wasn't a big disappointment.

NB If you buy this from Amazon the system might recommend buying an 8Gb micro SD card with the camera. The camera ships with a 2Gb card in the box so the 8Gb card probably isn't a good buy, especially when you consider that the date stamp problem I outlined above would make 8Gb of video files a nightmare to browse through.
on 4 March 2015
Works great mounted to my bike.
I have a road bike and I see many idiots on the road who unfortunately are not paying much attention to the road. I invested in this extremely compact camera to use in case of a collision.

This camera comes with a clip mount which I clipped on to the light fixing on my bike. It holds it very securely however it doesn't click or anything to let you know if the camera is in and it can be fiddly to get out.

It looks very well hidden and wouldn't be easily spotted, but if you put it on your helmet it will.
Sound quality is good and loud enough.

I have put a photo of the footage and of the camera on my bike.
review image review image
on 25 May 2010
After purchasing a cheaper version of this from someone else i found i had to stick a pin in a small hole in the side to reset the device everytime i used it ,needless to say it was of poor quality and broke after a few uses , so i returned it and paid a bit extra for this , was going to go for the atom but decided this was at £40 and that was enough , so having had a cheaper one £24.99 plastic housing cheap buttons ,software quality etc. this muvi is 10 times better for an extra £15 or so proper buttons , works just like a digital camera does plug it in click and your into your movies you made no software drivers to install , just so much better and easy to use , you wont be dissapointed, comes with a lanyard and crocodile clip , if your really going to put it to use would recommend the sports pack , i put it dogs harness with the crocodile clip and he managed to dislodge it jumping about , so yes get the sports kit , im also goiong to purchase the underwater kit so i'll review that in the future , meanwhile im off out to make some movie clips which i'll post on my youtube channel LEDGE36935