5.0 out of 5 stars Budget busting head cam
I am really impressed with the capability of this "tiny" camera. Its not just compact but also really easy to use with very intuitive switches and buttons a real "plug and play" set up (even on Vista) with a simple drag and drop facility.

Published on 27 Oct 2009 by J. P. Gillard

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected
Published on 5 Nov 2009 by Christopher Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget busting head cam, 27 Oct 2009
J. P. Gillard (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)

The video quality is very good with very little motion blur (see below) and the run time is acceptable (although in the cold winter mornings, you can cut the time by TWO THIRDS!).

Good points

* Cheap (for an action Camera). Being under 100 makes this a vital tool to ensure a little extra safety on my commute each day, there are plenty of Plus 100 cameras around that have nowhere near the quality and capability of this camera
* Light, Its built of sturdy metal and feel solid, but as it is so small it is very light and sits on a cycle helmet/head band without you even noticing the weight.
* Very, very, very small (have I mentioned the size!!)
* Simple to use (even for a fat fingered oaf like me)
* Simple to set up (just plug it in the USB, and it appears as a drive on the PC)
* Robust and sturdy design, made of solid and chunky metal not plastic
* Vox setting (voice control, a simple slide switch to turn's the camera into an auto record unit)
Bad Points

* Initially very jerky...this was solved by the addition of a higher class memory card than the standard (that the camera ships with). I didn't realise that storage cards record at different rates and the rate at which this camera produces images is effectively quicker than the standard card can burn. A new class 6 SDHC card works wonders and produces really good, smooth results

* 30 minute record segments. The camera stops recording after 30 minutes. However, if you switch on the vox setting the camera automatically starts recording again without any need to push buttons or "restart" (I use the camera to record a 60 to 90 minute commute and it never misses a beat).
* Weather proofing......well, it isn't....... so it wont stand up to rain and water (no water sports I'm afraid) even the "Extreme sports " pack's rubber cover/gator is pretty useless as the camera will not sit in any of the provided mounts with the gator fitted...very poor design of this component in my opinion. However the sports pack does excel in the provision of a multitude of very secure and very simple mounts for all other applications (motorcycle, cycle, car, head cam, climbing, skating etc etc)

Summary.

The camera's use is massively enhanced by the additional "Extreme sports pack". To be honest, it's a little useless without it. The sports pack is a little costly, However the camera itself is pretty cheap so the two combined still cost less than most action cameras.

The SD card that the camera ships with is not (in my opinion) up to the job and creates jumpy and jerky (almost wobbly) footage. I really recommend the acquisition of a good High class card to replace the standard (costs about 10 to do so)

In addition, software shipped with the cam includes WEB cam software, I've yet to play with this but allegedly its plug & play .....and if the use-ability of the camera is anything to go by, then the webcam set up should be very straight forward.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
From the reviews of other similar products I didn't have my hopes raised too high for this one. I was wrong. It's solidly built and well presented and the video quality in daylight is comparable to my Sony handycam. (if you prop it up and leave it to record.) artificial light sees quality drop dramatically, but what do you expect for the price. On the con side. buy the 8GB optional card as the one enclosed only gives 40 mins recording max and the instructions are a little on the sparse side. On the whole a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good learning tool, 29 Jan 2010
Andrew Mclellan "bathtub" (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Length:: 6:41 Mins

Used this for the first time the other day, just clipped it to the top of my safety vest. Really impressed with teh quality (this video is rendered down to FLV the original file size was 899mb AVI and really pin sharp with good colour. I have just started biking and reviewing footage like the attached helps me to see if I am riding as well as I could be - road position etc, also lets me highlight other drivers doing silly things so I can improve my observationn skills.

Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and powerful Camcorder, 13 July 2009
Muvi Micro Camcorder

I bought this as I was looking for a small camcorder that I could use at home or work rather than carrying around a larger camcorder or camera with video capabilities. I have these other items but find them bulky and it's obvious I'm using them. If you are loking for something discrete then this is the item for you.
Despite it's small size it is particularly well built, made from alloy and not plastic so it feels solid.
It is simple to use and after a few minutes checking it over I was recording straight out of the box and downloading my efforts to see what I recorded.
I first used it handheld and recorded in bright sunshine outdoors and moved inside and the lens coped well with the change in light and adjusted very quickly. The colours too are very clear and true and the recorded movement was realistic not like some other small camcorders and webcams I have used which have a slight delay slowing motion down.
I recoreded later at night in the rain under street lights with it worn on my clothing and it worked better that I thought it would with the camera picking up eveything despite the lack of daylight. The inbuilt microphone worked well picking up conversations from people around me as well as my own voice.
Downloading is so simple and the camcorder comes with 2 USB connectors, one in lead form so it can be used as a webcam or a simple USB connector which plugs directly into the camcorder then into the PC. Downloading is quick and the footage plays directly in Windows Media Player and I was able to archive and store my files with ease.
The camcorder comes with a clip which I used to attach to my clothing and it is easily adjustable and can be clipped to any part of your clothing. I used the neckstrap attached to the top of the camcorder as well as the clip for added security but to be honest wasn't really required as the clip felt sturdy enough.
At last I have found something that actually claims to be what it says and would recommend this to anyone.
I will be buying the accessory pack with additional attachments for bike and helmet etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for price and size, 2 Oct 2009
G. Biles "GazzzaB" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
I have wanted a mini cam for sometime to take out Moutain Biking and finally bought this one after reading the reviews. This is a fantatsic piece of kit. About the size of those throw away cigarette lighters, but it is surprisingly heavy and gives the impression of being very robust. It is very easy to use with very few buttons and nothing to set up, it is all plug and play. The relevant parts of the user manual are only about 7-8 pages (in large font in the PDF document).

I also bought
- the Extreme sports pack (more of this later).
- An 8gb card (approx 6 hours) which should be sufficent for most trips. The 2gb card that it comes with holds about 90 minutes
- VEHO recharger plug, makes re-charging exceptionally easy (especially if you haven't got a PC with you)

Good bits:
- size
- ease of use both itself and on the PC
- picture quality is excellent for something of this lens size
- Re-charges fully in about 2 hours
- good variety of straps and mounts
- Good sound quality (haven't tried the voice activation bit yet)
- The mounts seem very secure, but I might use a zip tie in bumpy conditions just in case. If you lose it the size will make it very difficult to find!

Bad bits:
- You can't see what you are recording, or have recorded, without a PC. This can make setting up the cam in the right place a little difficult and you will need to try out the varions straps to get the positioning correct.
- No instructions with the sports kit. Although it is fairly easy to work out which straps are for what, it isn't easy to work out the best way to attach them to the mounts.
- Velcro straps are fiddly and attache themselves to anything that you don't want them to! especially the inside pads of a cycle helemt!

Extreme Sports kit
- Handle bar strap - gives very shaky images (made my wife feel seasick watching them!) and lots of background noise I think from the vibrations thru the bike.
- Head strap is fine, but I wear a helmet (everyone should when cycling) so not really practical. May be ok for skiing.
- Arm strap - No good for biking, the cam it points at the sky most of the time. Probably ok for skiing though.
- Helemt strap - This is good and reduces the background noise. Downside is you can't see the cam and will need someone to tell you if it is a the correct angle for recording.
- When on, the rubber weather jacket means you can't use the mounts and can only use the straps. Unless there is a way of doing so that I have'nt found yet.

In summary I am very pleased so far, but have only tested locally and not in any serious MTB conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars little beauty, 3 Feb 2010
Mr. John Kent - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
I love this camera to bits ! I set it up on sound activation and left it in the house when i went to work.
that night we checked it out and found the lady that cleans our house was going through all our papers and stuff in our private drawers,
we had a few bits go missing recently, only simple stuff like a zippo lighter and a pair of sunglasses but annoying.
the picture was nice and clear. the police were very impressed with the clarity and on the evidence i showed them went round to speak to the cleaner. she made a confession and returned several items we didnt even know were missing.... the police asked for a look round and found some bank statements and a credit card bill.
well done Muvi ! paid for itself with one usage

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Amazon bundle with 8gb micro SD card, 6 Jan 2010
A. Perry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
First off the camera is excellent but... If you like me purchased it as a bundle as you know to achieve 30fps you need a micro SD card capable of writing at class 6 speeds. The bundled 2gb card is slow and so is the Amazon bundled 8gb card (class 2). DO NOT BUY THE BUNDLE if you wish to get the optimum out of this camera.
As it stands I now need to purchase another micro SD card this time class 6 (as I originally thought). Hopefully I will then be able to give the camera 5 stars from the four rating now.I should have read in more depth but hey ho!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there, 18 Sep 2009
R. Bingham (Lauzun, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
A very small camera that represents reasonable value for money - an acceptable balance of quality and cost.
The User Manual is equally small and light on details providing just sufficient information for basic operation.
The Manual says that you can record when the camera is connected to a PC - this suggests that the battery life is indefinite when connected. Not true. Mine does NOT record when connected so length of recording is limited by battery life (they say 2 hours).

Video quality is acceptable - slow to adapt to movement in and out of shade/bright sunlight, colours can be a bit odd and mine seems to miss a frame every few seconds, as if writing data from a buffer to the memory card, not noticeable when viewing fast action.

All in all it does no more and no less than I expected and within the price/quality limitations you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Trackdays, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
Bought this a few weeks ago along with the extreme sports pack but only had chance to really get to grips with them this weekend at my Lotus Car Clubs Trackday. It easily slotted on the front grille, almost too easily that I was worried Id finish my session and it wouldnt be there any more but low and behold it was still there, strong and sturdy.

Another thing I was a little bit worried about was image quality, and the effects from vibrations from the road but it turned out pretty good. Easily good enough to stick on youtube and post on the Lotus forum. One last thing mentioning, there is a small clear sticker over the lense, I presume its there to protect it but its so small I didnt even notice it at first until my mate pointed it out.

All in all a really good little product, the pictures dont really do the size justice, it really is tiny. Also I didnt realise it was actually finished in an alloy metal, I guess I expected a plastic. 5/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Good gadget - poor sound quality., 1 July 2010
This review is from: Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder (Camera)
I bought this based on the majority of positive reviews on Amazon. As usual, Amazon service and delivery were excellent, and my camcorder was with me the next day.

After charging the Veho micro camcorder, I then positioned it to do a test recording of me just standing in front of it saying a few words.

Eager to view the results, I connected it to my computer and the supplied software instantly recognized the device and opened the recording I'd just made with only a few clicks of my mouse. I then pressed 'play'.

Oh dear! Picture quality was OK. Sound quality was dreadful with a constant background of loud 'white noise' crackling.

I returned the camera to Amazon as faulty and received a no-nonsense replacement very quickly.

Unfortunately, the new replacement camera had exactly the same sound quality. I even tried it with a different micro SD card (Integral - excellent quality) rather than the one supplied and recorded (again) in a very quiet room, and said absolutely nothing, so I was just recording vision and minimal sound.

The horrible background noise was still there and effectively renders any recording in a quiet environment unusable. This may be OK if you just want to record outdoor pursuits (most of the video clips I've seen of this product have been filmed on motorbikes), but if you want to record a conversation in a room - forget it!

I'm aware that the two cameras I was sent MAY be from a faulty batch, but for me, this hasn't been a good purchase.

Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder