5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap - but easy to use
I have been looking for a way to transfer both some old VHS tapes and some off-air recorded programmes from my digi-box - I also needed one specifically compatible with my Mac. I had been recommended the cheaper iCapture, but I was unimpressed with some of the reviews - it also seemed rather cheap...

I'm glad I chose to pay a little more for the Elgato. Using...
Published on 14 Dec. 2010 by D. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use
Published on 27 Dec. 2009 by JD Dieffenbacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap - but easy to use, 14 Dec. 2010
D. Thompson (Chetlenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elgato Video Capture, Digitise Video for Mac, PC or iPad (USB 2.0), white (Electronics)

I'm glad I chose to pay a little more for the Elgato. Using it is dead easy: literally plug in (component or scart to USB2), follow a few basic onscreen checks, and then hit record - the software des all the rest. After it's done it then either saves the file as an MP4 (ready to view in Quicktime or import to iTunes), or ports you into iMovie for editing and ripping to DVD. The quality is good (although it does depend on the quality of the original itself) - and it even works with my digi-box, so I can save a few of those BBC4 folk concerts that have been eating up my HD space ;)

An excellent product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, 27 Dec. 2009
JD Dieffenbacher (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Easy set up, easy to use. Quality seems good enough. Some of my tapes are quite old so can't always be sure whether it is the tape or the transfer. I have Final Cut Pro and was able to enhance them a bit with that. Did have problem with the sound recording on some clips. It was either out of sync or garbled and had to go back and record again. Can't tell if it is just a problem when you record longer clips or if it is my tapes (though the sound on the tapes when watching on TV is fine). A good product but only gave it three stars as I think the price is a bit high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact converter, 5 Feb. 2013
The Elgato converts VHS tapes into digital format to your computer. I have an iMac and on this device it is straightforward to write the digitised film to DVD as the "burner and software" is part of the computer. The Elgato connection to a VHS player is simple [SCART adapter supplied] as is the connection to a USB 2.0 port on the computer. The conversion process is easy and instructions appear in steps on the computer screen. No handbook is needed and all necessary instructions for setting up are clearly printed on the storage case.
Altogether a very compact, handy and reliable device. You may get alternatives cheaper but this product is worth the extra. My rating is based on the use of the Elgato with a SONY VHS player [10 year old] and a 6 year old iMac. The literature states it is compatible with a PC but I cannot comment on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so easy to use, 11 Oct. 2012
J. Rai "Jay Rai" (Uxbridge, Middlesex) - See all my reviews
I bought this device to convert that bag of old camcorder cassettes into videos that I can store on my Windows based computer and then transfer to DVDs. It really does work straight out of the box, without having to read any manuals. Stick the DVD in your PC and load the installation file and the drivers, and that's it. Loads in about 3-5 mins. Then connect your camcorder, video or even your sat/cable box and you are able to record. The only word of caution I have is that you will need a fast pc with at least 4gb RAM, as the CPU on my 3 year old laptop was struggling when copying to the hard disk, but on my new desktop it worked perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - THIS PRODUCT IS NOT DESCRIBED ACCURATELY AND WILL NOT GIVE GOOD RESULTS IN EUROPE (PAL RECORDINGS)., 11 Aug. 2014
Although the packaging states this is "World-ready; handles NTSC, SECAM, PAL and PAL/60", Elgato have confirmed that the recording frame rate of this unit cannot be changed from 60 field per second, yet European PAL (and SECAM) recordings are made at 50 fps.
Elgato Video Capture artificially repeats fields to increase the rate to 60, which results in a jerky recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has many uses, 6 May 2011
Works perfectly and I have now archived a ton of VHS that we really did not want to lose. Mostly home movies of the kids etc.

Once that was done I thought it was going on eBay, but then realised I could copy content from the Sky box! Amazing! All those kids movies clogging up the hard drive are now on the Mac Mini (which we use as a HTPC) and its now permanently connected for this purpose!

Don't mess about with the cheaper alternatives. The encode quality this gives is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did a great job, 7 Feb. 2013
This device was actually very easy to use. I converted all our old home movies into mpegs and then edited them into a lovely movie for my father's 70th birthday, which I then recorded onto DVD. It is important to protect your family memories because VHS tape does break down over time. This was a very cost effective way of doing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results with a mac, 14 Oct. 2012
Amir Sadeh (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
Before buying this I tried another product, bought at a computer superstore that was 40% cheaper. The results were not good, and the included Mac software very poor, so I returned it and purchased this Elgato unit.

Simple, but good software produces decent results. The package includes most connectors you might need and the hardware seems well put together. I have had a few problems with the audio sync, but found a way to avoid this by starting playback from the camcorder before recording begins on the mac, then rewinding to the beginning and trimming the excess start footage at the end of the process. The built in trim function in the software makes this easy. You do have to use the Elgato software though - the hardware is not recognised by iMovie or QuickTime natively for importing. However, the resulting files can easily be imported to either software package - the Elgato software even has a button to do just that at the end of the process.

Much better than the cheaper product I tried first, this device has done everything I wanted from it. I have been using it with a late 2010 MacBook Air.

3.0 out of 5 stars Also works with Macs, 8 Sept. 2014
Bought this to transfer my video 8 movies (PAL format) onto my iMac for editing and then making DVD's. For such undemanding stuff, it worked fine and has made life a lot easier. After downloading the Elgato app necessary for the transfer process, everything was pretty much straightforward. Some reviewers issues seem to be with compatibility, so do some research that this device will work with your equipment, if in doubt.
UPDATE 20/9/14* Downgraded 2 stars because having worked with this for a while, I've found it's all too easy to stop recording from Elgato and NOT capture your footage, in which case you have to start again and because the capture is in REAL TIME, you have wasted all that time if you stop recording and haven't made sure you have captured your footage on to your computer. There is no facility or precaution to prevent you doing this. Also, if you let your Mac sleep, this stops any recording from the Elgato, so you have to make sure you computer is on while recording is taking place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Elgato Video Capture, 16 Aug. 2013
Doesn't work with USB 3.0. Tried suggestions from Elgato helpline and knowledge database...no use. The problem is on the audio side: the audio channel produces unpleasant distortion and howling plus unbearable levels of hiss. Totally useless. It's a shame because the video quality is excellent. I do not know of another for Apple Mac - there are loads for windows which work very well indeed.

Shame on Elgato really as my Macs are over 12-months old and have USB 3 ports so someone is being lazy and deceitful