TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 August 2011
[EDIT: Dec 2012 - at foot of this review]

I spent a long time reviewing laser printers before deciding that I might as well get a multi-function device (scan, copy, print but not fax) for just a bit more money. Duplexing was an absolute must which is why I finally plumped for this DN model.

Facilities: 5 out of 5
----------
You can connect this model either via USB or a network cable.

It has an automatic document feeder for scanning/copying and you can copy to single or double sided copies.

Printing can be done single or double sided and this is selectable from the PC - you do NOT have to go to the printer to select this.

Speed: 5 out of 5
-----
Not an issue. Whilst the first page may take a bit longer to come out because the unit must come out of standby it prints rapidly (even when duplexing). Unless you're printing many, many pages the speed is adequate for reports, flyers and internet page prints.

Noise: 4 out of 5
-----
One of my prime concerns that this would be "noisy" in a SOHO environment. Whilst it does clunk a bit when delivering the prints it's not bad enough for me to be worried, not even late at night. It also goes back to sleep quickly (user adjustable delay) which means it's totally silent soon after printing.

Print Quality: 4 out of 5
--------------
Standard prints (eg from Word) are just great. Business type diagrams are perfect too. Photos are acceptable but you wouldn't choose to use this to print your holiday snaps. An inkjet photo printer will almost always outperform a laser for photos.

Scan/Copy: 3 out of 5
----------
I'm being hard here because standard photo-copies are acceptable, especially if it's just text and graphics. Pictures are not so good but still OK.

Scanning can be done easily over the network and the printer sends the PC back the scan. Quality is fine, but not as good as a dedicated scanner. But it depends on what you're using the result for. Scans I did of a few articles were more than readable with good colour balance too. You wouldn't immediately realise it was a scanned document.

Consumables: 4 out of 5
------------
Lexmark supply full (2000 sheet) toner cartridges which for me in my home-office probably means a whole year. After that each replacement cartridge costs about 50 GBP if you shop around but of course black is the colour you'll use much more of. I've yet to have to order new ones so this is only my impression of what I've gleaned from the Internet. The drum lasts for about 30,000 sheets which is probably the life of the unit.

The only downside is that it consumes 20W electricity in standby mode - not a huge amount but some brands get this down to low single figures. My strategy is to keep it switched off until I need it as it warms up within 30 seconds.

I'm very pleased with the unit so far, and fully expect it to give me good service for years to come.

[EDIT: Dec 2012] A quick update on this printer that is still giving me sterling service. I discovered today that I could manage the printer from my web browser by typing in its network address (I have it connected to my router not via USB, so that anyone on my home network can print to it).

The web management pages show the exact amount of toner left, the condition of the waste toner bottle and so on and it's much easier to use than the LCD display (which you must use to adjust the network address). There are umpteen other settings to adjust via the web page which is just a friendlier interface compared to the LCD screen (which is still easy to use, by the way, and what I've used up till now).

Just another plus point as far as I'm concerned!
[END EDIT]
on 28 December 2010
I bought this to replace a magicolor laser that died. In general it does everything I could wish for. The print quality is excellent and suprisingly good on photos. The unit is pretty quick and duplex is an absolute must. I won't buy even a cheap printer without it these days.

The one bit that lets the printer down a little is the user interface. It has an old school technical feel to it. For example, scanning means starting the Lexmark software, selecting your settings and then sending those settings to the printer. On the printer you then have to press #1 (a shortcut for god knows what) and it will start scanning. It's not as bad as it sounds, all the options you'd want are there, scan another page, scan duplex, etc, it's just more complicated to figure out than it needs to be.

Other than the user interface I'm very happy with it.
on 17 February 2011
An excellent printer at a very good price. Quality is good, scanner produces well. As for duplex, once you've tried it you won't want to go back. Not so good with photos on glossy. Found a far better shinier quality with an inkjet but then pictures on plain paper are excellent.
Want a good quality printer? This is easily as good as anything I have at work, and they don't scrimp!
on 20 January 2012
I didn't buy this printer from Amazon.

I had the printer for a few days before it started making a terrible noise every time it printed. I called Lexmark who had me take it to bits and reassemble it. After about an hour on the phone Lexmark declared it dead. I was given the option of a repair or a refund. I chose a refund.

While it worked the printer was great - I just wish it had been more reliable. I'm disappointed given the great reviews for this printer here and elsewhere. I must have been unlucky.

I would agree with another reviewer that scanning to a PC is not as user friendly as it should be. You may have to change the PC firewall settings to get it working.
on 21 May 2012
For the price this is an excellent printer. Have left things a few months before reviewing it just in case anything went wrong, but it hasn't.
The speed of printing doesn't seem to be fast, but once it starts churning things out it is fast enough. I have NEVER had a paper jam, even feeding in manually envelopes which has on previous printers been prone to problems.
The duplex facility is first rate and again never had any problems or jams here.
I don't want photo quality colour work as I have a special printer for that but colour is good. Mono is excellent. Printing onto envelopes and cards is fine, and alignment for things like small laser labels is spot on.
I had problems with my previous laser using a powered USB hub where the printer went into rubbish mode, but I've not experienced that problem with the Lexmark.
It is heavy and has a large footprint but the insides are very accessible. Typical man - I haven't had to refer to the instruction manual yet.
A down side (why I've only given it a 4*) is the replacement cartridges are not cheap, a complete set being more than the price of the printer. Beware, there are 2 kinds of cartridge, normal capacity and high yield capacity. The latter are not much more than the former, but some web sellers don't make it clear what they're selling. Buy from Amazon as I haven't found originals cheaper anywhere.
Summing up - buy it.
John
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2012
Nothing wrong with the printer, produces nice quality copies, scans well and is very quiet... but it took me six hours to set up.

Firstly, I'm IT literate and have a good range of printers so it isn't just me. Getting the printer out of the box and removing the various packing tags was no harder than usual (although the printer weighs 25kg so is not easy to move), but software installation was a nightmare. I'm using Mountain Lion (10.8.2) and although there is a disk that comes with the printer it does not appear to contain a driver for OS X. The one in the usual Apple repository does not work and when I did find a driver that did, it doesn't support scanning. In the end, I had to download SEVEN separate pieces of software from various sources and the scanning function only works over USB rather than the network.

Please, Mac owners, do yourself a favour and buy another type of printer.
on 13 January 2014
This printer just managed to pass it's warranty period before expiring. The repair would cost more than a new printer. During it's (short) life the running costs were high as toner is pricey. While it worked the quality was good and the speed fine but no where near enough to justify its short life.
on 4 January 2013
Works exactly as it should and it would have got 5 stars if it had clearer instructions to set up emailing of scans to my email address.
on 26 January 2015
Software does not work in latest windows