5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant to handle
Now I need to start using it regularly! ;-) This kettlebell comes with a poster of different exercises. I think that's great as it gives me something to follow. I dont have much imagination when it comes to working out. ha!!
Published on 1 Dec 2009 by L. Dana

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not go near this!!!
I work out with kettlebells. I enjoy it. The benefits are obvious and its enjoyable. As a result, I have a few kettlebells of various sizes. The York Vinyl kettlebell is the first time I have moved away from iron kettlebells, a mistake I will not make again.

Published on 9 May 2010 by Blueferret

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not go near this!!!, 9 May 2010
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)

Firstly, the size is an issue. Due to its large bulk, some exercises are difficult. The vinyl kettlebell is considerably larger than its iron counterpart. I am long limbed, but there are some exercises I will not even attempt with this.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, the vinyl kettlebell has a seam which runs aronnd the diameter of the weight. Initially, this is not much of a problem. However, after an intensive workout with this weight, you will inevitably have some unnecessary blistering to your hands. Blisters and freeweight exercise go hand in hand, but I fail to see the point in using a piece of equipment which will certainly aggravate this problem.

Finally, there are superior kettlebells on the market for a similar price to this one.

Dont consider this item. I advise anyone considering exercising with kettlebells to stick with cast iron ones ( Amazon have a few in a similar price range to this vinyl one ).

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulkier and not as robust as cast-iron ones, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
I ordered one of these after doing a few kettlebell classes at the gym.

In comparison to the more compact cast-iron bells, these vinyl ones are substantially bulkier. This isn't as noticeable when doing swings and squats but did make it less easy when doing overhead presses etc.

I'd also question how robust it is. The one that I was sent by Amazon was defective; the handle had split and the 'filler' was coming out. This may just have been unfortunate but given that these are likely to hit the floor occasionally, I'm slightly concerned. Btw, Amazon handled the return and refund without any problem.

I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a proper iron kettlebell which should be easier to use and more sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant to handle, 1 Dec 2009
L. Dana (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighty, stylish, does the job., 11 July 2010
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
I love this item. It's very easy to hold. It looks great. This item comes with a very clear exercise guide which tells you to do 10 reps 10 times which i found quite grueling as this kettle bell is quite heavy to lift overhead or do stomach crunches with. I have quite good upper body strength but i have struggled with this weight. Exercising with this weight is very beneficial though as you break out in a sweat just after 20 reps and you do feel as though you had an intense workout. I couldn't get out of bed the next day due to feeling shattered with muscle fatigue. I soon overcame that and have continued with the exercises 3 times a week. You will definitely see results after 2 weeks if used regularly. I would recommend this product but start off with a lighter weight first just to get yourself familiarised with the item.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid vinyl and look for cast iron, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
I have a couple of the York kettlebells and they really are no substitute for cast iron bells. They are far larger than cast iron bells making it extremely difficult to perform any exercise where you are supposed to hold the ball of the bell. Similarly the handles are too large and are awkwardly shaped meaning that it is difficult to grasp the bell by the 'horns'. The distance between the bell and the handle is too short causing strain on the wrist and the handle does not rotate smoothly in the hand.

They are cheap and I can see that some my find them an attractive option before committing to kettlebell training but in my view they are a waste of money in the long run.

2.0 out of 5 stars York Vinyl kettlebell 16 KG hand ripper, 30 May 2011
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
I purchased the york 16 KG Kettlebell after using kettlebells at the gym, The first problem with this unit is the size of it which is only made worse by the very wide sharp handle. The joint of the plastic handle on the under side of the one I purchased was so sharp and poorly finished it ripped my hands to bits and it's not like my hands are not use to them, Also the overall size of the vinyl unit (its the size of a football) makes it impossible to do some of the standard kettlebell moves like the clean and shoulder press.Stick to the cast ones the are smaller and don't rip your hands to bits.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it!, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
Bought this as I wanted the next size of kettlebell for my Kettleworx DVDs and this one was half the price of the cast iron Kettleworx ones. It was totally unsuitable for the Kettleworx workouts - the plastic outer was too slippy to grip, and the large size meant that it was impossible to hold in the bell grip or wide-handled grip. The only exercises I found it good for were the kettlebell swings.

It seems you get what you pay for - I will be splashing out on the 15lb Kettleworx kettlebell instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but beware the size, 22 Feb 2010
M. Wilcox "elvendil" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
There's not a lot you can say about what is essentially a weight, but having used it for a few weeks here's a quick review:

Good:
It weighs 14kg, it has a handle that's comfortable and can accommodate both hands together, it's cheap for a kettlebell.

Less good:
For some exercises it's too big, in terms of size. I don't have small hands, but I find it impossible to do a couple of exercises with this kettle bell. One's that require you to grip the kettlebell by the body rather than the handle - it's too large and the vinyl too slippy to do so without being in danger of dropping it, which is why I have to grip the handle stems doing those types of exercise. I can't grip it well enough otherwise. I presume that it's so big because it's got that vinyl coating - but as I have no experience with other kettlebells I can't say for sure that's the case. Maybe you just need to have a crushing grip like a frustrated Superman for those exercises. Or claws. Or rubber hands.

Conclusion:
If you've got big hands, it'll be fine for any kettlebell exercises. If you've got normal sized or small hands you're may struggle to do exercises where you grip the ball and not the handle. When it comes time to get a heavier kettlebell I will try to find a smaller one (if possible).

(I have normal/slightly-large hands for a 5'9" guy, for your reference)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec 2009
S. CORBETT "Granny S" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
Nicely balanced, well designed handle. A good bit of kit even if it hasn't got the retro style of a traditional kettle bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Number one piece of exercise equipment, 6 Nov 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
Number one piece of exercise equipment

I have been going ot the gym for the last few years but I have steered clear of weights of any variety,mainly because I did not feel confident to deal with them

Recently I took up body pump which gets you used to light weights and going through a routine of repetitions. I realised that I would have to build some muscle if I was to improve my fat burning. I have been a few times and after the initial leg aches through squatting with weights I am now quite confident that I know what I am doing.

The gym also gave a free demo on kettle bells. I have never seen of heard of kettle bells so I went along for a 30 minutes demo.

The main activity that its different from anything else is the swing whereby you hold the kettle bell with both hands and use the strength of your legs to increase the swing between your legs and maybe up to chest height. It is your legs not your arms which you have to get used to.

I did that a few times and found the technique different. The other parts of the exercise programme are like other weights but it is a handy manageable size and you don't have bars and weights to keep changing or thinking about.

My partner moans that I have a sit up machine a medicine ball and a couple of 3kg dumbbells in the front room even though they are mainly out of sight. As a result she told me I wasn't allowed to buy fitness equipment that would take up space or not be used.

The beauty of the kettle bells that it takes little space and is very versatile. The worst thing that can happen with it is to use it as a door stop.

After my introduction my inner thigh muscles ached for the next four days so it did something. I watched all the videos on YouTube of the kettle bell and also on Muscle TV.

I read the reviews and decided to get a 8 Kg which is not the smallest but should be challenge for a nearly sixteen stone weakling like me.

It arrived the other day and I w as very pleased with it. I am keeping it in my office to allay any criticism my partner. It takes up little space and only a few repetitions will have the heart pumping.

On Muscle TV one of the presenters went through her top ten pieces of exercise equipment and the kettle bell came out at number one

All in all a great piece of kit. Highly recommended

York 10kg Vinyl Kettlebell