5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations by far.
I was determined to spend over £120 on a Playmobil castle, then I found a wooden castle from amazon that required self assembly for about £55.
After reading reviews about the design giving problems if you needed to move it around I wasn't so sure, although I still wanted to buy it as my original plan had been vetoed by the boss.

My wife then found this...
Published on 13 Jun. 2012 by Dave B

1.0 out of 5 stars other wise it would have been a good castle, just poorly made
it fell apart as soon as my dad took it out of the box, all the glue came off. didn't send it back as my son is 4 yrs old and autistic, that as soon as he saw it wanted to play with it, so very hard work as it kept clasping, my dad had to glue it again while my son was eating. other wise it would have been a good castle, just poorly made. not happy.
Published 4 months ago by alison

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations by far., 13 Jun. 2012
Dave B (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)

My wife then found this castle at nearly a third of my original budget. It looked okay on the reviews, and being ready assembled it offered some advantages over the "Le Toy Van Excalibur". Understatement of the year.

This castle is "Awesome" to quote my five year old daughter. "It's not just good, it's awesome Daddy!".

I have no idea how they can produce something so lovely for an affordable price, but they've done it.

From my daughter's viewpoint, it's sturdy, gives tons of standing platforms for her Playmobil characters (7.5cm tall), is in perspective for Playmobil accessories, has a secret trap door / jail to capture baddies, has a separate tower that doubles as a baddies lookout/castle, has a working drawbridge, is beautifully decorated and has a balcony for knights to lookout from when my enemy knights attack.

From my viewpoint this is a lovely piece. There is so much character in the design, the decoration is much better that the picture shows, and the swing open design allows the child to really "get inside" the castle and play from the castle viewpoint.
The piano hinge is riveted on, the balsa(?) wood structure has been carefully sanded to give soft edges and with so many places to stand her characters I have been forced to concede that she may need more knights.

As a parent I have no problem recommending this product and feel sure that when my newborn son reaches 5 he will get years of enjoyment out of it himself.

I hope this review helps you when deciding what to buy.

Cheers, Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful birthday present for my son's 3rd birthday, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
We were looking to get a wooden castle for my son's 3rd birthday. We had originally got one from ASDA which we were very disappointed with and sent back as it kept falling apart. We then ordered this castle which was slightly more expensive but well worth every penny. My son loves it and plays with it loads. He had the knight set from ELC to go with it, but he also loves playing with his Postman Pat, Go Diego and basically anything that will fit in it. It is hardwearing and as it is all fixed together so it does not fall apart!!! The design is brilliant and best of all it arrived all fully assembled brilliant, I would well recommend this to anybody who is looking to buy a wooden castle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which castle to buy?, 3 Mar. 2014
P. I. Lee "PeeLee" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
I couldn't decide between the two Melissa and Doug castle's for my son's 3rd birthday. We chose the fold and go castle initally because of the price and because it came with figures. It is a lovely castle, beautifully decorated, but I felt that because it's small, my son would grow out of it by the age of 5 or so. We upgraded to the medieval castle, and it's brilliant. The smaller castle is boxed in and you open it to play with it, but the bigger one is more open, therefore more inviting to play with. It also open's up which is good for more than one child to play with. Because it's large, it's like a piece of furniture in my son's bedroom, he goes straight to it whenever he's enters his room. It's a shame the medieval castle doesn't come with the figures too and have a dungeon like the little castle. A few more doors to open would make it perfect! However, they are both brilliant castles, I hope this helps you make your choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa & Doug Folding Castle, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
My 2yr old son loves this castle, it is very durable & being hinged it makes it much easier to play with. I looked at a lot of products before purchasing this product & am delighted I chose this Melissa & Doug castle it has proved to be a great hit & I am sure will be for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa &Doug - folding Medieval Castle, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
I purchased this for my 2 year old grandson, he enjoys it, but his 3 year old sister enjoys it even more. It is beautifully constructed and the delivery was excellent, unfortunately, the drawbridge mechanism stopped working and my son-in-law is having to repair it. Hopefully he will get it working again for the children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing value - well made, son loves it, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
I am incredulous that this is such a good size, well made castle complete with trap door for baddies (a much loved feature) as well as plenty of different levels and nooks and crannies for placing your knights for a good old fight to the death. It's great and unlike lots of wooden toys, doesn't cost a fortune. Son loves it and I love hearing his melodramatic blood curdling death gasps he utters as he mimics a mediaeval battle and bashes his poor knights to bits. Boys games are so much more entertaining than girls' ones - I wish I'd had one of these when I was little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Toy Castle, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
As a mum of three boys, we have had a number of castles (mainly ELC) and within weeks the castle is knocked over or dismantled and impossible to put back together as invariable as piece has become broken. At last a castle that arrived pre-made and it cant be taken apart! My husband was as happy as the boys on Christmas Day that he didnt have to spend hours trying to work out picture instructions. The castle has an extra benefit in that it is hinged so can be opened up for greater imaginative play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality - much loved toy., 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
Fantastic quality. Bought last Christmas and still going strong despite being played with a lot by my 3 year old twins. Playmobil soldiers are a perfect fit for the castle. My little girl has also recently started moving her Magiclip princesses in too (although they are a bit tall to fit through the doors - doesn't bother her though). The dungeon and trap door are a real hit. Very solid and as it arrives ready built and painted there is nothing to do but unpack it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic creative play, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
Lovely product, excellent service. Bought this for my sons 5th birthday. He loves it and has used it with lego, playmobile, ELC knights and a big plastic spider! Excellent all round fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Castle!, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle (Toy)
I bought this for my 3 year old son and I'm so happy with it. I was looking for a castle which wasn't just good to look at but that had lots of interest. This castle has a balcony, removeable turret, lots of windows, a trap door, a sliding dungeon door, a working drawbridge, turrets figures can stand in, a staircase and the best feature of all which is the fact that its hinged and can open up. Great to play with closed or open. The ELC set of knights and Simba knights and dragon I bought to go with it are a good size to use with the castle. The castle was bought for my son's Christmas so I was concerned that it wasn't going to live up to how it looked online but I wasn't disappointed. It arrived quickly, well packaged and already assembled.

Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle