4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
I have tried most of the OCR applications out there and this one continues to improve and keeps its place at the head of the pack.

Published on 3 Aug 2009 by marcoscu

1.0 out of 5 stars omnipage pro vs Abbyy
The product was not as stated on its box, it was not fast and for me this was the reason i purchased it as it made certain claims about speed. I have a lexmark office all in one with windows 7 and a fast quad machine, however, the software did not integrate well with the printer scanning module which cause the process to take about 3 mins per page.

I am a...
Published on 19 May 2010 by P. Bailey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Aug 2009
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The application is slow to install and slow to load in use but once it fires up and gets going it does a good job. Like most OCR apps it improves with use as it remembers peculiarities of handwritten script and build up a user dictionary. That said it will good a pretty good job straight from the box.

There are several versions of this program with a greater or lesser set of features but for most people this one will cover all their needs.

If you need a good well specified OCR product and don't need too many whistles and bells then this will fit the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars omnipage pro vs Abbyy, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)

I am a software engineer so I reasonably expect that the software will integrate well with windows and modern printers, I returned the package back to amazon. I then purchased ABBYY Pro 10 and this was much more effective scanning in 30 seconds and doing a very good job at complex multi column recognition.

My view is that these two products are the only two consumer products that should do the job fast and well it was unfortunate that Nuance (Omnipage) have not tested properly against a wider range of products and for me resulted in extremely poor performance.

However for you it may be fine.

I do prefer the way that Abbyy 10 pro works and I would say its interface is more user friendly but thats a personal opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well over 99% accuracy on OCR via a scanner and pretty good on formatting as well, 10 Aug 2009
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have an expensive 9950F Canon flatbed scanner so I got this Nuance OmniPage 17.0 OCR [optical character recognition] program to scan pages of printed text and photos into Word. Installation was simple via the supplied CD, and using the code supplied on the CD wallet I quickly activated the software over the internet. Once OminPage 17 was up and running I selected 'get page' and it found my USB2 scanner. It didn't recognise my scanner for auto-setup using the Nuance scanner database though [strange as it was Canon's top of the range], but the OmniPage scanner wizard quickly set it up so that Omnipage 17 could fully control it. Ominpage 17 also integrates into the Word 2007 menu, giving an 'aquire text' button.

I scanned in my extended CV, printed in quality inkjet type, and OmniPage scanned in all 14 pages with less than one character recognition error per page. Plus all the formatting seemed spot on when exported to Word XP/2003 format. You can also export the OCR text document in Word 2007, Wordperfect X2, Excel, pdf, RTF, unicode text, text, and XPS formats. Scan speed and OCR was also pretty fast on my modern gaming PC, scanning each page in under a minute and performing the OCR a tad faster. The only slow bit really is manually loading the pages to be scanned. I also tried scanning twenty pages of rather poor school handouts for my daughter and again the text recgnition was spot on, with about two minor errors per page [that were picked up and prompted for correction during scanning]. These errors were largely black smudge marks on the photocopy pages that looked like full stops or a letter. Other errors included an 'i' instead of an 'I', all minor stuff. Formatting was acceptable with this scrappy handout, requiring minor corrections, and all the low quality photos appeared in the right places. This is a far better result than I got with my old OmniPage 14 OCR software, so I'm more than happy with this updated product [with Omnipage 14 I frequently resorted to reading the words out aloud and PC converting it to text using my Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 10 software instead]. That said complex annotated line drawings, with text all over them, or very poor quality [heavily shadowed and blurred near the spine] scanned pages from a folded book can confuse the OCR, giving quite a few more than a couple of errors per page [often too many to correct] - you need a decent text scan and simple picture layout for successful OCR. This OCR software isn't suitable for handwriting recognition unless the text is printed very neatly.

OmniPage 17's system requirements are Windows XP 32/64-bit (SP2) or Windows Vista 32/64-bit, 400 MHz CPU [Windows XP], 1 GHz CPU [Windows Vista], Dual-Core or Quad-Core processor recommended for advanced performance, with 256 MB of memory (RAM), 1GB recommended for advanced performance. 500 MB of free hard disk space, 1024x768 pixel color monitor with 16-bit color or greater video card. CD-ROM drive for installation. A sound card and speaker for reading text aloud. A compatible scanner with its own scanner driver software for scanning documents. Web access is needed for automatic product activation and Scanner Wizard database updating. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 for Micorosoft Office 2007 and XPS formats.

Note that you can get Omnipage 17.0 professional that is highly regarded by techie magazines like PC Pro, but that is three times the price of this standard edition [although Omnipage 17 Professional is often on special offer via resellers such as Amazon, when it drops to nearer the price of this standard edition]. Omnipage Pro 17 offers extras like integrated management with Nuance PaperPort, automatic 'blue pencil' redaction to black out confidential words, automatic data collection from forms, native ECM connectivity, and direct support for Sharepoint 2007. However both this Standard and Pro share the same OCR core, and OmniPage 17 Standard has the simpler interface, which I find pretty straightforward. This software makes a lot of it's Adobe pdf creation capabilities, but I also own Adobe Acrobat Professional so this feature isn't essential for me. Besides it's preferable to export the OCR output to MS Word, as pdf files aren't designed to be easily edited - you need the original document that created the pdf for that [so always export OCR output to both Word and pdf, or create the pdf via Word afterwards]. I haven't bothered to try OmniPage 17's OCR with documents captured via camera photographs, 007 espionage style, as OCR via a flat bed scanner is always going to be far superior. OmniPage 17 is also reported to make a better job of OCR scanning than competitor ReadIris. So overall a good OCR program for your flatbed scanner and far superior to the OCR 'lite' versions you get bundled in with scanners. Nuance is pretty much the market leader for OCR, both at home and in the office. This Omnipage 17.0 standard version loses a star just on price [at full retail], the slightly limited feature set compared to the Pro version [no auto 'forms'], and the very occasional error.

1.0 out of 5 stars Office 2010, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Beware - this does not work with Office 2010 and Nuance support can give no indication of when - or if - it ever will.

I suspect, based on their response to me, that you will need a new version before it does and that no update will be forthcoming for version 17.

Having paid 60 for 6 months use - Office 2010 was out when I bought this - this is not good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars OmniPage 17 - OCR software, 10 July 2010
M. Dewey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Nuance's optical recognition software package (OmniPage 17) is accurate and produces text documents in most popular word processor formats. It is a mile ahead of my earlier package. This software package is recommended if you need to convert printed pages into a text file with a minimum of fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuance Omnipage 17, 23 Mar 2010
T. A. Murray (Southport UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I have used OmniPage since I was in Nappies. It has matured with me. The accuracy, for the price is fantastic. This version offers many new features including converting to Audio files and editing PDF files.It scans from almost any device (except the kitchen sink).Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Busy interface but productive, 15 Sep 2009
C. Hatfield (Leafy Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use a lot of pdf documents in my work and it was the ability to edit these doucuments that attracted me to ordering this product. So far, after being a bit daunted by the layout and controls, I've found this to be a very useful productivity tool. It installed and ran with no problems on my Mac Mini, both in bootcamp and Vmware fusions emulation.

Considering the cost of a recent version of Adobe Acrobat (with lots of features that nobody uses), this software is outstanding value for money for anyone who needs to do a lot of scanning and document layout editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of reproducing text to do., 5 July 2010
Mr. R. G. Saunders (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Does what is says, dispatched quickly and received in good order. What more can you want?

4.0 out of 5 stars Few mistakes, but should improve., 17 Mar 2010
I have found Nuance Omnipage 17 fairly
straight forward to use, and this is
the first time I have used programmes
of this type.

There were some corrections I had to make,
but hopefully this will improve over time.

I use it on windows XP with a Canon Pixma
multifunction printer and scanner.

It is useful for reducing the amount of
actual paper work I have to store.

I would recommend this to those that have
a lot of paper work to file.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, very accurate, 23 Aug 2009
Paul Stewart "Paul Stewart" (Stocklinch, Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used many previous copies of Omnipage.

This is the most accurate and even converts hand written notes which is great for minutes from meetings.

Quick to run compared to my previous version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD)
Nuance OmniPage 17.0 (PC CD) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock