5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping Dickensian tale with a magical vitality.
Conn is a street urchin who pick-pockets something of immense magical strength and yet seems unaffected. Intrigued, Nevery the Magician from whom he had tried to steal the stone (or locus magicalicus) takes him on as an unorthodox apprentice.
Prineas, and her main character Conn, has a unique and imaginative take on the essence of magic: its vitality. With dwindling...
Published on 26 Sept. 2008 by ELH Browning

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read if you persevere.
I have wanted to read this book for a while but just didn't get around to it, but having done so I am glad I did. In truth I found the written style a little jarring at first but having kept going it does settle down, or perhaps I just stopped noticing. The story is good; it is well paced and not overly complicated so you get carried along with the adventure. There are...
Published on 19 May 2011 by Jack M

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Thief, 4 Mar. 2009
J. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Thief (Hardcover)
I found this book in my local library. The story gripped me from the beginning with sympathetic, believeable characters and an original plot. I made myself read it slowly so it would last longer and then bought my own copy because I know I'll read it again. I also ordered the sequel due out soon. The main character is a boy with attitude, who never falls into self pity but is clearly anxious and afraid. His growing strength and the understanding of his abilities, his developing confidence and success, are set beside his complete lack of recognition that around him, people are beginning to value him. This is cleverly written to show how other characters are taking care of the boy without him realising. As a result, the supporting characters take on strength and all the characters feed off each other. The plot has good twists and excitement builds well, but for me, the emotional strengthening of the boy is what attracted me to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great introduction, for a young reader, to magic/fantasy adventure tales, 12 July 2015
This is a great third/fourth grade intro to fantasy, magic, and adventure tales.

The hero, Conn the street thief, is destined for great things as a wizard. Nevery the wizard senses this and takes him on as an apprentice. Adventure and excitement follow.

Conn is the primary narrator, and his wonderful voice carries the book. He is street smart, but not a wise guy. He is made of true-blue hero stuff, being loyal, honest, conscientious, brave and shrewd. He is also subject to youthful error, exaggeration and false hope, so he presents a well-rounded, age appropriate protagonist. Nevery is a classic fair-but-firm, grumpy/softy master. Benet, Nevery's "muscle" is an effective soft-hearted tough guy. Rounding out the gang is Rowan, the ruling Duchess's daughter. She is smart, sassy, adventurous, and an excellent partner for Conn. She also provides a nice counterpoint to Conn, (in a Hermione Granger kind of way).

This book is not frantic, and there are no monsters. It's about how Conn grows up to be a wizard, and how he and his companions use magic and their own pluck to solve problems and help their city. There is "political intrigue", but it is simple enough to not confuse the story, (i.e. some bad wizards, a criminal kingpin, some spies and sneaks - that kind of thing).

I'm a big fan of Delaney's Spook's Apprentice series, which covers similar ground, but for an older reader. (More violence, more complexity, more depth.) But, this Magic Thief series is a wonderful way to introduce a reader to fantasy, and would be a great stepping stone to the Spook's Apprentice series. Then, as your reader gets older, you could move on to F.E. Higgins' Black Book of Secrets, (yet a more advanced and deliciously well-written apprentice type book), and beyond.

So, well worth serious consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Thief Lost, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Magic Thief: Lost (Kindle Edition)
The 2nd part of the trilogy. Poor Conn always in trouble, this time not only with Me very, but with Rowan, and yet again Kern
He also finds himself exiled from Wellmet as well.
Anyway I will not give the story away, but will just say that this second part is as exiting as the first, and you find yourself wanting to help Conn if you could.
A terrific read, even though it is aimed at the younger reader, in my opinion any age group will enjoy this series, and I am a Grand Father to 3. Age wise almost 70.
Would recommend this wonderfully written narrative,to all.
If you enjoyed the Harry Potter series, as I did, then this trilogy will certainly keep you wanting more.
The only disappointing bit is, the book comes to an end!
Am about to start the third one of the series now, will give my review when finished.ppl

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Thef, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Magic Thief (Kindle Edition)
This is a book by an author that I have never heard of before, but found by chance whilst looking for other books on Amazon.
Am glad I found her, and downloaded this wonderful little story onto my Kindle, after reading other reviews about it. It really is a
fascinating read from start to finish, so much so, that I have now purchased the following two of the trilogy. Although
aimed at the younger reader, it is trilogy that will appeal to all ages, if you like this kind of genre. I say that, and I have 3 grandchildrem!
All I can say is buy the Trilogy, it is cheap, at half the price. and enjoy.
Will write further reviews regarding the following 2, when I have read them which will not be in the too distant future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series! Definitely worth a read., 5 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Magic Thief (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best written books I have read in quite a while. Great plot, good relateable characters and gripping writing style. I look forward to reading more from this author.

The plot revolves around basic ideas of honesty, good work, not grumbling about every little thing, taking things as they are and always remembering that one is not alone in this world and that we should cherish and take care of our friendships and honour those who we care about. And lastly, never forgetting where you came from and striving to do your best on the path laid out ahead.

It is such a lovely story to read with one's children and on your own. Entertaining and enticing and definitely worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic thief, 1 May 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Magic Thief (Paperback)
This book I got for xmas and didn't know what it was.Now I finished it a week ago and love it,I'm getting the next one now!I found the stuff about wizards and locus magicalicus stones.You might think it dull at the beginning but it promises lots of action later in the book.the book has a alphebet of runes and 2 biscuit recipes in the back.If you like wizards and wonder,my advice is,read this!But you could be shocked at some of the stuff you read.

I found that looking at the map in the book helped me to understand the story and twilight and sunrise.The thing about losing the magic really captured my imagination.I loved this twisted fairytale and hope you do too when you get round to reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, 17 Feb. 2011
I stumbled across this series on Amazon, and bought the first one for my Kindle. I was hooked before I had finished the first page, and ordered the next two books half way through the first book. I didn't want to have to wait 5 minutes to continue reading! The books are suitable for a slightly younger reader than the Harry Potter/Septimus Heap fans (love them too!). The characters are quirky, lovable and believable and the books are beautifully written. Lots of action, twists and turns. And lots of magic!

I can't wait for Prineas to finish her next book! And I hope The Magic Thief trilogy soon will be translated into Norwegian, so my children can read them two. I have to admit: I'm 40...

3.0 out of 5 stars good read for kids, 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Magic Thief (Hardcover)
Good story-moved along pretty well, not any over descriptive pieces.Fun characters and plots.Big let down, for me, was that the writing was in large type so the 411 pages could have been compressed into about 150. After finishing them I realised, Ok I realised it from about page 10, that the book was aimed at the childrens market, so was Harry Potter and look what happened there, Then I went on to read book 2. Enjoyed that too :) If your kid likes reading then this could introduce them to the fantasy marque.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic thief lost, 13 Jan. 2012
S. Carrier (england) - See all my reviews
great book, good fun for the magic belivers.keeps you on your toes,all through the book,never know what will happen next.each page has somthing goin on.Keep up the writingThe Magic Thief: FoundThis is also great, good writing from auther.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 31 July 2014
This review is from: The Magic Thief: Lost (Kindle Edition)
This book is overflowing with enchanting spells. It is a mixture of supreme excitement, mystery and adventure. I would really recommend this thrilling book to boys and girls, aged 10 -14.

The Magic Thief: Lost