4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Fun and Exciting Read
Annoyingly I read this book without reading the one before it - I ordered it not realising it was different from "The Magic Thief" which I had intended to buy. When it arrived I read it anyway, and have now added the book I intended to read to my wish list!

Published on 1 Jun 2009 by Sir Furboy

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
My 9 year old enjoyed the fist book so much that I bought him this one also. He's enjoying it but says its more complex than the first.
Published on 9 Nov 2009 by Gillsas

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Fun and Exciting Read, 1 Jun 2009
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews

That ought to amount to a recommendation. This book was good enough for me to want to fill in the gaps.

I read this straight after reading Angie Sage's Physik, and that was perhaps unfortunate, as Angie Sage's books are so good it was hard for me to put that out of my mind when reading this book - and comparisons are inevitable. This book lacks the wacky humour of Angie Sage, and the storyline is less involved. Characterisations are not as deep either.

But despite those comparisons, this is still a very good story. A fast paced adventure with plenty to endear it to its intended audience. For instance, the chapters are riddled with secret runic messages to decode, and there are some wonderfully interesting recipes at the end!

Ultimately I would say this book would appeal to a slightly younger readership than the Septimus Heap books - say 7 or 8+, although it could still be enjoyed by much older children and lovers of children's books.

(Always the problem with adding reading ages to books - it puts off the older readers who would still love it. nevertheless, children 10+ may prefer Septimus Heap).

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first book in the series, 23 May 2009
This review is from: The Magic Thief: Lost (Hardcover)
It's even better, even funnier and faster-paced, even more magcal and MORE exciting than Book One in the Magic Thief series, which is saying a LOT. Conn's voice is irrepressible, the new characters are great, and the magic is wonderful. I love Conn's development in this book, and the added responsibilities that he accepts, and I love the way this series is going. I can't wait to read Book Three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 9 Aug 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ever since wizard apprentice and former thief Conn destroyed his locus magicalicus saving the city of Wellmet's magic, he's been banned from lessons and shunned by all the wizards except his master, Nevery.

No one believes his theory that the magic is a living being. As shadowy beings stalk Wellmet and attack its residents, Conn becomes desperate to communicate with the magic again. But his experiments with pyrotechnics cause a disaster so great he is exiled from Wellmet.

Outside the city, Conn steals a place on a envoyage to a distant city he suspects may be involved in Wellmet's troubles. Along the way he makes new friends and new enemies, and discovers a threat far greater than he ever imagined. Even Conn's great skills of stealth and thievery may not be enough this time.

Fans of THE MAGIC THIEF will love returning to Conn's world and joining him on his continuing adventures. Conn comes off at times more subdued than in the first book, but overall he has the same straight-forwardly charming voice. Minor characters from the first book have their roles expanded, making up for the fact that the wonderful Nevery and Benet are left behind for many chapters.

It's a delight seeing the world further explored and learning all the new and intriguing details about how it works. The enemy Conn faces is truly frightening and unexpected, and the stage is well set for the trilogy's concluding book.

Recommended for all fantasy readers - though of course it's most enjoyable if you've read the first book already.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

4.0 out of 5 stars Builds well on "The Magic Thief", 19 May 2011
Jack M (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
If you have read my review of "The Magic Thief" you will know that I enjoyed that and read this sequel immediately after finishing it. I am glad I did as the author has effectively built on the first book and takes the overall plot forward well. The slightly jarring written style of the first book isn't as noticeable here and so the plot moves along in an easy and uncluttered way. I still do not think that the author has developed a very imaginative environment in which to set the story, but you can't have everything.

This is an enjoyable second instalment in this series and deserving of its four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Thief Lost, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Magic Thief: Lost: Book Two (Magic Thief (Quality)) (Kindle Edition)
The 2nd part of the trilogy. Poor Conn always in trouble, this time not only with Me very, but with Rowan, and yet again Kern
He also finds himself exiled from Wellmet as well.
Anyway I will not give the story away, but will just say that this second part is as exiting as the first, and you find yourself wanting to help Conn if you could.
A terrific read, even though it is aimed at the younger reader, in my opinion any age group will enjoy this series, and I am a Grand Father to 3. Age wise almost 70.
Would recommend this wonderfully written narrative,to all.
If you enjoyed the Harry Potter series, as I did, then this trilogy will certainly keep you wanting more.
The only disappointing bit is, the book comes to an end!
Am about to start the third one of the series now, will give my review when finished.ppl

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 14 Dec 2012
my granddaughter has asked for this book for Christmas because she enjoyed the first one in the series so much

5.0 out of 5 stars magic thief lost, 13 Jan 2012
S. Carrier (england) - See all my reviews
great book, good fun for the magic belivers.keeps you on your toes,all through the book,never know what will happen next.each page has somthing goin on.Keep up the writingThe Magic Thief: FoundThis is also great, good writing from auther.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, 17 Feb 2011
I stumbled across this series on Amazon, and bought the first one for my Kindle. I was hooked before I had finished the first page, and ordered the next two books half way through the first book. I didn't want to have to wait 5 minutes to continue reading! The books are suitable for a slightly younger reader than the Harry Potter/Septimus Heap fans (love them too!). The characters are quirky, lovable and believable and the books are beautifully written. Lots of action, twists and turns. And lots of magic!

I can't wait for Prineas to finish her next book! And I hope The Magic Thief trilogy soon will be translated into Norwegian, so my children can read them two. I have to admit: I'm 40...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Thief Lost, 11 Oct 2010
E. A. Irwin (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
brilliant series - both my grand-daughter and myself enjoyed all of the series so far - hope there will be some more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Theif, 10 Sep 2009
John Sales "Shadowen69" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Thief: Lost (Hardcover)
I thought this was a great story to read, i could not put down the book until i had finished the whole thing. A good book for all age groups.