on 6 August 2010
Currently The Telegraph offers an "e-paper" edition through their website. This is in full colour with all the pictures from the newspaper.

Unfortunately the description from this edition doesn't seem to have changed from when the Kindle edition was being offered to US Kindles. It says that pictures and charts are not included, yet the price is 50% higher than the "e-paper" edition.

I'm hoping that this is because Amazon have simply copied the details of their US offering onto the UK website and that The Telegraph have yet to update how they will deal with delivering their UK newspaper to UK readers using UK Kindles.

They will need to reduce the price to the same as the e-paper (or maybe include a slight premium to take account of the delivery over Whispernet) and increase the content to the same as the e-paper - i.e. to include pictures and charts (in colour for those that read on PC, iPad, etc.)

I was looking forward to getting my Telegraph delivered automatically every day to my new Kindle when it arrives. But I refuse to pay a 50% premium for a cut-down service.

Importantly, since the Kindle now includes a webkit web-browser, Amazon and The Telegraph need to provide a unique selling point to justify why I should pay for a subscription service rather than just use the web-browser and free 3G to browse their website.

UPDATE:

Since my original review, the price has been reduced to the same as the "e-paper" edition. In my view this increases the value-for money substantially and I have therefore awarded an additional star.

What would now be required to score higher? Well I really would like it if a human being actually bothered to read the Kindle edition before posting it for download. Currently the text in many articles is jumbled, with paragraphs (presumably from boxouts in the print version) sometimes appearing randomly in the middle of the body text of stories - sometimes even in the middle of sentences! Also lists and similar text is often not formatted, which makes it difficult to read. A better use of headings, bold and just basic formatting would demonstrate that The Telegraph Group are willing to pay more than lip-service to this edition. Just a bit of care and better presentation would be worth 4 stars in my book.

To get 5 stars would require all of the above along with pictures and tables.

UPDATE 2:

Well it seems that Telegraph Group have been listening. The Kindle version of The Telegraph now has pictures included, and they have obviously changed their process for converting the newspaper into the Kindle format, as it no longer has jumbled text within articles.

As promised above, this means that it now gets a 5 star review from me.

My only remaining niggles are:

1. We don't get Matt's superb cartoons. This is one thing that I really miss from the physical version.

2. The newspaper can now be read on mobile phone versions of the Kindle App (at least on my Android device) - thank you! However why prevent it from being downloaded to the PC versions of the app? Sometimes I don't want to waste the battery life of my phone and don't have my Kindle with me, so it would be nice to be able to download the paper to the PC app for use, for example, on a train journey where mobile internet coverage is patchy, and therefore the Telegraph website is not accessible.

3. There is usually one article each day which is actually made up of a number of smaller stories. For example today there is an article which is listed in the index as "The stamp of history" which is about the new Olympics stamp. However this article actually has 7 completely distinct stories with topics as diverse as pigeons getting into an office through a revolving door, off-road vehicles wrecking a country track and radio stations going back to playing vinyl records. If you weren't interested in the topic of the first story it would be easy to skip over the article and never know about all the other stories. I suggest either splitting out each of these stories into their own articles, or have a separate heading for the whole article which is the same every day (e.g. "In other news...") and draws attention to the fact that this article contains several stories.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 January 2012
Having received a new 6" Kindle for Christmas, I am currently trialling the Daily Telegraph subscription. The daily edition is excellent; it is delivered wirelessly to my Kindle at about 3 am(!), and now contains pictures and the Matt cartoon. It is easy to read and to navigate around, and has two major benefits when travelling: (a) it is small and (b) it is clean! Any errors in it are no worse than in Kindle versions of books - e.g. spaces before punctuation, question marks instead of symbols, etc. - and I am aware that this is a problem when a hard copy has been scanned for electronic use.

There is a serious issue with the weekend editions, though. They may appear in the contents list on the Kindle, but when I try to open them the Kindle crashes and I get a message to delete them from the Kindle and download them via USB, which is inconvenient - especially if I'm away. Moreover, having downloaded them, I can read some of the sections (although accessing them is very slow), but if I try to access the magazine or any sections that come after it in the contents list, the Kindle crashes. Last weekend my Kindle crashed 23 times before I gave up and deleted the papers. Today, I have had the same problem; I tried to access the main paper twice and my Kindle crashed twice, so I have already deleted it and will again be buying a hard copy. This is a major problem, and for this reason I am very unlikely to maintain my subscription beyond the trial period.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 May 2012
Update (December 2012):

There is not yet a Kindle Fire version of the Telegraph, which is a shame. I hope that will be coming soon and that they will then be able to include all pictures, graphs, tables, etc in colour as they are in the print editions. I'm still very happy reading this on my basic Kindle, but the Kindle Fire gives a whole new platform to take this product to the next level and the fact that they haven't yet done so means that I've taken a star off from my original review. I'll gladly reinstate it when the product catches up with the technology!

Original review (May 2012):

When I read some of the reviews I wasn't entirely sure whether to even try this, but I'm really glad I did! I find the Telegraph to be the most accessible and least contrived of the UK broadsheets but my problem has always been just that - it's a VERY broad sheet and cumbersome to read as a result. So for me this has been something of a revelation - it's organised into sections (and for the weekend editions you get a lot more sections just as with the print edition - but without the need for an additional recycling bin..). It's very easy to navigate and you actually get more pictures (albeit not in colour) than I'd expected. I've done a quick comparison between the print version and the kindle version and it looks to me that you get virtually all of the same content (minus the adverts which for me is a distinct bonus, the crosswords which I never do anyway and the business dashboard which you can get online if you really need it anyway). So, by way of summary - much cheaper than the print version, much more convenient and every bit as good in terms of content. Highly recommended.
on 21 April 2012
I spend most of the year travelling around Europe where the average price of the Telegraph is 4. By the time I've bought 3 I've already paid more than the monthly subscription for this on Kindle.

I used to subscribe to the Guardian (which I still love) as it was the only one that included photos on Kindle but now the Telegraph includes these too and all the weekend magazines. Perfect!

I can't decide whether it's a true substitute for the newspaper but what I do notice is that I actually read every single article whereas sometimes with the broadsheet I skim through them. For me it's a 5* experience. Some people believe that it would be better on, say, the iPad where it's full colour but backlit screens are not comfortable for reading for extended periods of time.

So, conclusion? Take out the 14-day trial to make up your own mind but, if you're like me, you won't cancel it at the end.
on 8 January 2012
Free trial subscription for Telegraph. Weekday issues were great & I loved the convenience of having the paper delivered to my Kindle every morning. However, there's a major glitch (also commented on by other users in the Kindle discussions forum) with weekend issues - they appear to download successfully, but when you try to read them, the Kindle freezes and then crashes. I contacted Kindle suuport & they seem to know there's a problem but are currently unable to solve it. Sadly there isn't much point paying for a subscription to a paper when I simply can't read the weekend issues. Such a shame!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 September 2010
I'm a bit confused by all the negativity here. For £10 per month, you get a copy of a decent paper delivered every morning, including Saturdays & Sundays, which was a nice suprise. So thats a lot cheaper and more portable than the paper version, and even better when you're by the pool on holiday.

From a quick scan there are over 100 articles on the daily edition and 200+ on the weekend, so it feels pretty comprehensive, and with a paper like the Telegraph you know the content is going to be well written and of a somewhat right of centre political outlook.

So for me, this is great. Good content everyday for a reasonable price and minimal hassle.

Negatives - doesnt have pictures, but so far I'm not really missing them. I want the actual news! doesnt have tables, thats really annoying for things like the football, but I can get that thorugh other means. Fix the pictures/tables in a way that keeps a nice user experience, and it'd be a 5*
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 December 2011
I've been receiving the telegraph since the beginning of 2011. As a train commuter and with a 3G kindle it's perfectly suited to my needs. As of the 2nd December they have started to include images too (even delivered over whispernet). Rather satisfyingly the service continued uninterrupted during a recent holiday to Goa.

Other comments about editorial are right: the content is good but isn't proofread and so there are the occasional foibles.

I'd recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2010
I'm a bit more positive than most about the Telegraph Kindle edition.
It does what it says on the tin - text, no pictures, and is a compromise between user-friendliness and the fact that it can be delivered worldwide. I was reading mine daily at breakfast on business in the Caribbean recently; I will be doing the same next month in E. Africa. To buy the physical paper in either of these places means tracking one down and then paying over the odds for a three-day-old edition.
It's true that it could be greatly improved. There are many proofreading errors, most likely caused by them using OCR software to scan the finished paper and then simply reformatting the result for Kindle. But then the Telegraph of a couple decades ago was notorious for such basic errors, and was still readable. I also miss the Matt and Alex cartoons, and of course the crossword, but it's more important to me to read the words when I'm in the back of beyond.
The impression I get is that the Telegraph expects most people to buy the iPad edition, and that the Kindle edition is for a tiny minority. If they could be persuaded otherwise it might improve. Meanwhile, as long as I'm travelling I will be subscribing.
on 7 December 2011
Most of the reviews of The Telegraph on Kindle are some months old, with many from 2010. The Telegraph has undergone a major upgrade in the last week or so and there are now good quality photographs, charts and - yes - the Matt cartoon every day. There also seems to be far fewer of those irritating "confusions" where words/sentences/paragraphs jumble together or get placed out of order - no doubt caused by the OCR technology that didn't work too well. Lastly, there seems to be an improved and more comprehensive layout on the index page. This is all excellent - a pleasure to leaf through and outstanding value for money - my wife and I each have Kindles and to get two copies of The Telegraph delivered to the bedroom in time for our morning cuppa for 30p is just brilliant!
on 15 June 2011
Newspapers on the Kindle makes a lot of sense. No wasted paper, no finding the money the going to shop or paying for delivery and the sheer convenience of the Kindle makes a lot of sense.

The reviews made me wary however with a 14-day trial what's not to like.

I've been very impressed with the Telegraph on my Kindle. I was surprised just how good it is!

You get all (virtually all) of the content from the physical paper and it's well organised. The stories fit into logical groups e.g. News, Business, Sport, etc and within these you have a list of stories. It's well set out and easy to navigate. You can either go straight to a particular story or browser from start to finish. It's possible to just turn pages or use the 5-way to jump from one story to the next.

There are no (perhaps one or two) pictures, graphs, etc. Personally I prefer not having them. The pictures don't really add anything to the story apart from a visual draw. I find I'm much more focussed on the copy rather than just looking at the pictures.

The stories are the same, as far as I can tell, as the physical edition. Therefore you get all the news for a fraction of the cost. £9.99 for a whole month, including the weekend editions, is fantastic value. It even saves the last seven days so if you want to go back and re-read then it's simple to do so.

The paper is automatically delivered in the early morning (6:30 is the target). However you need to have your Kindle in a woken up state. If it's in sleep mode the paper won't download until it's woken up. (I'm told newspapers or subscriptions should download in sleep mode. It doesn't on my device). All it means is waking the device up at some point during the morning before you want to read the paper. If it's WiFi only then remember to do it at home before you leave the house.

A knock on bonus is I find more to read than the physical edition. It's possible to just read specific articles but I tend to go from start to end and come across stories I may have missed before.

All in all I've been very impressed.