5.0 out of 5 stars On the Rhode
Currently cleaning up at all the respectable awards Stateside, The Low Anthem's second album is one of this century's finest releases. Cutting to the heart of old America (almost a musical version of Cormac McCarthy's novels) via pump organ, harmonica, woodwind and guitars, the ten songs presented here are spiritual and muscular marvels. Ben Knox Miller's voice ranges...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Peter Horton

3.0 out of 5 stars A very bi-polar offering.
On the strength of "Ohio" and "Charlie Darwin", and being a fan of Iron & Wine, Bon Iver et al, I bought the full album. What I'm confused about, though, is how a band that can produce such sublime tracks, mixing the best of Fleet Foxes and American (new)folk can also produce such dire pub-country-rock nonsense as "The Horizon is a Beltway" and "Home I'll Never Be"...
Published on 14 Jan 2010 by Cr Beckett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The new "Fleet Foxes"????, 15 Aug 2009
B. G. Cullen (lancs uk) - See all my reviews
Bought the cd after hearing a few snippets of tracks and I can understand where the cpmparisons with FF come from, but the album stands on its own merits as a great listen. If you like FF you will enjoy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS ALBUM, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN MUSIC YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS ALBUM.THE ALBUM IS VARIED AND IF YOU LIKE THE FOLLOWING ARTISTS-UNKLE TUPELO,SPARKLEHORSE,WILL OLDHAM,MY MORNING JACKET,TOM WAITS,EELS -YOU WILL ENJOY THIS CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime mastery of the Americana genre., 15 Sep 2009
R. D. Parker - See all my reviews
Just buy it and you can slot Charlie Darwin next to your Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes & Iron & Wine CD's. You will not be disappointed. I for one am happy helping pay for the gas to fuel there helicopter.
The Low Anthem have a sublime mastery of the Americana genre. A superb CD from start to finish and a worthy contender for CD of the year.
You can find a live recording of The Low Anthem's Langdon Street Café gig at The Internet Archive's Live Music library. It's truly wonderful and should wet your appetite for the real thing when they show up in your town.
Music will never die when groups of such caliber keep emerging. Now hand me my mobile phone, I want to practice my whistling some more.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very bi-polar offering., 14 Jan 2010
Cr Beckett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)

So. A dilemma. I'd give 5 stars to the sublime stuff, and minus 5 to the rest. Which I'll average and round up to 3. Buy it for the good stuff; skip/delete the truly dreadful tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec 2014
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Classic album. Essential in any collection of Americana music.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whiney Self Indulgent Music to Grow Your Beard By, 14 July 2009
NWF Tickell "Oh Belgium" (Glasgae) - See all my reviews
In a record collection which stretches from the Clash to Miles Davis I have no room for this music. Get a sampler of Bella Union recordings from somewhere - for Dawkin's sake don't pay for it - take a listen. If you don't like it then you won't enjoy any of their oeuvre. Then you, unlike me, won't have to lament the money you wasted on a CD and wonder at your ability to be conned by the music press in to venturing out and buying this 'new sound'. I rejoice that my Fleet Foxes CD was a present from an ex, I may doubly enjoy taking the scissors to that one without further monetary loss.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
Oh My God, Charlie Darwin by The Low Anthem (Audio CD - 2009)