5.0 out of 5 stars On the Rhode
Currently cleaning up at all the respectable awards Stateside, The Low Anthem's second album is one of this century's finest releases. Cutting to the heart of old America (almost a musical version of Cormac McCarthy's novels) via pump organ, harmonica, woodwind and guitars, the ten songs presented here are spiritual and muscular marvels. Ben Knox Miller's voice ranges...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Peter Horton

3.0 out of 5 stars A very bi-polar offering.
On the strength of "Ohio" and "Charlie Darwin", and being a fan of Iron & Wine, Bon Iver et al, I bought the full album. What I'm confused about, though, is how a band that can produce such sublime tracks, mixing the best of Fleet Foxes and American (new)folk can also produce such dire pub-country-rock nonsense as "The Horizon is a Beltway" and "Home I'll Never Be"...
Published on 14 Jan 2010 by Cr Beckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled & classy music, 3 Jun 2013
Fnpig "kmccra15" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Excellent service delievered promptly for a classy album by a genius artist. Recommended if you appreciate quality in your music.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic record, 12 Mar 2013
The slow and the bippety-boppety - and the openning track will squeeze tears of life affirmation from places you didn't even know still existed on that aching body of yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant American Folk, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
I have come to this late, at least three years after is was released. But I'm really glad I found it. From the amazing title track on, The Low Anthem create a unique folk/country sound that is perfect listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 1 Nov 2011
Owain Thomas - See all my reviews
I bought this album after hearing "Champion Angel" being played on a HMV store stereo during a particularly slow Sunday afternoon. Expecting a CD full of foot-stomping folk-rock songs I was very pleasantly surprised to find a mixed bag of melancholy and emotion, with the rowdier (but just as good) songs few and far between. The stand out songs for me are "Ticket Taker" and "To The Ghosts Who Write History Books", both are beautifully written emotional ballads which are the perfect companions to lazy afternoons in the sun. All in all it is a brilliant album and once which I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone. Also check out the earlier offering from TLA,"What the Crow Brings", if you are a fan of the slower ballads in this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUBLIME, 1 Aug 2011
pete shields "axepete" (Mansfield Notts England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
The Low Anthem produce outstanding songs.
Lyrically and musically sublime.
The vocal melodies,harmonies and diction are exquisite.
Colouring the minds canvass with wonderfully strong imagery
The Low Anthem understand the importance of " understatement " and weave their own unique magic via carefully chosen instrumentation and " Leonard Cohen / Tom Waits - esque" poetry.
Oh My God Charlie Darwin is a masterpiece.
It holds the listeners interest throughout and is a complete album from begining to end.
They are fast becoming one of my all time favourite bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Really, really good! I was initially drawn to this album by the faster tracks like 'The Horizon is a Beltway' and 'Champion Angel' then the slower ones grabbed me. This is one of the best albums I've heard in recent years. I saw them play Sheppard's Bush in London a few months ago and it was stunning, the crowd stood in complete silence, in awe of the quieter tracks (often played by them surrounding just one mic), then just erupted in the breaks. Everyone I spoke to, or overheard, seem to agree it was something very special, and the album captures them perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars On My God, Charlie Darwin, 28 May 2010
Hazel Vicary "Hazel" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
This is a really beautiful CD. I only came across Low Anthem recently, hearing it on a television programme as background music but I love it so much I intend collecting everything they have done. Well worth having.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some wonderfull tracks., 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
I have to agree with another reviewer about the mixed success of the album. There are a couple of beautiful, interesting and original sounding tracks on the album. Those tracks have a treasured place in my collection along with the likes of Bon Iver and Grizzly Bear. Absolutely sublime haunting music. A large chunk of the album veers too close to average country for my liking. The good tracks alone are worth the purchase, but then again I would also recommend giving the album a listen first and possibly buying individual tracks if you like digital downloads. I will certainly be keeping a look out for them in the future and there is no doubt in my mind which way I would like there music develop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Find of the year....so far, 19 Aug 2009
Being a regular reader of Q, Uncut and Mojo, I read the reviews of this and thought "Oh no, another minimal Americana band I am supposed to like - so I probably wont" (experience has told me that what the critics promote, is not always what I want to listen to). Having read rave reviews of Beirut, Sufyan Stevens, Bright Eyes et al, my wallet has been burnt on too many occasions!

However, a friend with similar tastes to me (and indeed similar reservations over being told what he should like) suggested I gave it a listen, and I picked it up for less than 4....could always sell it, if I did not like it. It will not be being sold any time soon.

I cannot really describe it, other than it takes the best of recent Americana (a genre I am fond of) and mixes them all up with fantastic results, throwing something akin to Tom Waits in for good measure. As stated elsewhere, an ethereal ambience is the first feeling, followed by a raucousness a combination which only the (excellent) Decemberists have come anywhere near to matching on their two most recent outings.

For a change, believe the hype! If you are a fan of the Decemberists, Tom Waits and even Dylan and Neil Young, this is an album which will pull you back again and again! (and by the way I gave it only four stars in error, it is certainly a five, and I cannot edit it!

4.0 out of 5 stars The new "Fleet Foxes"????, 15 Aug 2009
B. G. Cullen (lancs uk) - See all my reviews
Bought the cd after hearing a few snippets of tracks and I can understand where the cpmparisons with FF come from, but the album stands on its own merits as a great listen. If you like FF you will enjoy this album.

Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
Oh My God, Charlie Darwin by The Low Anthem (Audio CD - 2009)