5.0 out of 5 stars On the Rhode
Currently cleaning up at all the respectable awards Stateside, The Low Anthem's second album is one of this century's finest releases. Cutting to the heart of old America (almost a musical version of Cormac McCarthy's novels) via pump organ, harmonica, woodwind and guitars, the ten songs presented here are spiritual and muscular marvels. Ben Knox Miller's voice ranges...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Peter Horton

3.0 out of 5 stars A very bi-polar offering.
On the strength of "Ohio" and "Charlie Darwin", and being a fan of Iron & Wine, Bon Iver et al, I bought the full album. What I'm confused about, though, is how a band that can produce such sublime tracks, mixing the best of Fleet Foxes and American (new)folk can also produce such dire pub-country-rock nonsense as "The Horizon is a Beltway" and "Home I'll Never Be"...
Published on 14 Jan 2010 by Cr Beckett

4.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg, 7 Aug 2009
Jay Zyru (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
Some very nice tracks on this, but a few - in my opinion - awful ones too. Worth buying for the good ones. 'Ohio' is the track used in the TV adverts for this in the UK, and is pretty representative of the better tracks. Often close harmony vocals, which I quite like. Verging on country at times, but keeps to what is for me the right side of the line. I'm not an expert is what the various music genres are these days (I'm more of a classical music listener) so I've picked one of the genres that I haven't got a clue about, viz: 'wilco'. This used to be an RAF abbreviation for 'will cooperate' but I suspect it means something different here.

5.0 out of 5 stars low fi genius, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
beautifully constructed music with space to breathe, The Low Anthem continue to produce music of the highest quality in an almost simplistic form, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal & delivery, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Great order as stated. Stand out music and well worth a listen if into folk rock with some really good tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled & classy music, 3 Jun 2013
Fnpig "kmccra15" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Excellent service delievered promptly for a classy album by a genius artist. Recommended if you appreciate quality in your music.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic record, 12 Mar 2013
The slow and the bippety-boppety - and the openning track will squeeze tears of life affirmation from places you didn't even know still existed on that aching body of yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant American Folk, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
I have come to this late, at least three years after is was released. But I'm really glad I found it. From the amazing title track on, The Low Anthem create a unique folk/country sound that is perfect listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 1 Nov 2011
Owain Thomas - See all my reviews
I bought this album after hearing "Champion Angel" being played on a HMV store stereo during a particularly slow Sunday afternoon. Expecting a CD full of foot-stomping folk-rock songs I was very pleasantly surprised to find a mixed bag of melancholy and emotion, with the rowdier (but just as good) songs few and far between. The stand out songs for me are "Ticket Taker" and "To The Ghosts Who Write History Books", both are beautifully written emotional ballads which are the perfect companions to lazy afternoons in the sun. All in all it is a brilliant album and once which I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone. Also check out the earlier offering from TLA,"What the Crow Brings", if you are a fan of the slower ballads in this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUBLIME, 1 Aug 2011
pete shields "axepete" (Mansfield Notts England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
The Low Anthem produce outstanding songs.
Lyrically and musically sublime.
The vocal melodies,harmonies and diction are exquisite.
Colouring the minds canvass with wonderfully strong imagery
The Low Anthem understand the importance of " understatement " and weave their own unique magic via carefully chosen instrumentation and " Leonard Cohen / Tom Waits - esque" poetry.
Oh My God Charlie Darwin is a masterpiece.
It holds the listeners interest throughout and is a complete album from begining to end.
They are fast becoming one of my all time favourite bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
Really, really good! I was initially drawn to this album by the faster tracks like 'The Horizon is a Beltway' and 'Champion Angel' then the slower ones grabbed me. This is one of the best albums I've heard in recent years. I saw them play Sheppard's Bush in London a few months ago and it was stunning, the crowd stood in complete silence, in awe of the quieter tracks (often played by them surrounding just one mic), then just erupted in the breaks. Everyone I spoke to, or overheard, seem to agree it was something very special, and the album captures them perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars On My God, Charlie Darwin, 28 May 2010
Hazel Vicary "Hazel" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (Audio CD)
This is a really beautiful CD. I only came across Low Anthem recently, hearing it on a television programme as background music but I love it so much I intend collecting everything they have done. Well worth having.

Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
Oh My God, Charlie Darwin by The Low Anthem (Audio CD - 2009)