5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brutal, hard as nails, martial arts cinema ....
Published on 3 Dec. 2002 by bigaldo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as people would have you believe
Published 11 months ago by Ti Lung 1974

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brutal, hard as nails, martial arts cinema ...., 3 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Five Venoms [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Five Venoms aka five deadly venoms is a film that truly lives up to its name. From the outset, the fight scenes are never less than brutal and the more blood thirsty watcher won't be disapointed. The film takes the usual master/student against all odds tack with the final revenge etc..However this is not to say there is no plot, for once I did not find myself waiting for the next fight scene, but actually wondering where the plot would take the film and how much more harsh it could get! The fight scenes are good old fashioned, mystical climbing up walls stuff with lots of specialised styles so I can't recommend this film enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Poison Punches, 7 Aug. 2006
This one's a true original.

Forget all the chop socky tired foolery about vengeful students seeking bloody justice over murdered masters or bright eyed, bald Shaolin monks teaching the uninitiated and unwashed a thing or two about fighting and philosophy. This one's about money. It's also about treasure, about deception, backstabbing and backbiting, oh and did I also mention masks?

Five Deadly Venoms rocks and socks with some of the most memorable fight scenes ever filmed for a period Kung-Fu flick. And that's why we rent em and buy em, right? The action!

Watch this one before you pop in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill. This one has to be one of QT's favorites and it may just become a favorite of yours too

4.0 out of 5 stars FU 4 U REVIEW #7: FIVE DEALY VENOMS, 4 Mar. 2009
I am quite a late comer to the Venoms films, although I have seen a few other Shaw bros. efforts such as the 36th Chamber of Shaolin which I highly recommend. So when I finally got my greasy mitts on a rationally priced copy of this on Ebay - for some reason it is preposterously priced in most places for a 30 odd year old film - I had big expectations, not just because of the shear amount of love people have for it, but also because I'd waited so long to ogle it. Now, after my first viewing of The Five Deadly Venoms, I have fashion this sparkly review, in the form of a handy pros and cons list, for you to take on board, and either act upon or ignore. I Hope it's useful whatever you decide to do with it!

THE HIGH KICKS:
- The venoms themselves are great characters with cool, instantly recognisable, styles. I'm sure you will instantly like one above the depending on your preferences - I personally like the toad, he was nails (excuse the pun - you'll see what I mean).
- Although the blood is bright red and fake looking the violence is nasty as heck at times, and I know it's not big and it's not clever but I don't watch martial arts films to see people throw wet biscuits at each other...in fact I don't know what I would watch to see that. Anyway be aware that some of the stuff in here is a bit icky: metal hook down the throat anyone?
- Awesome traditional kung fu mixed with a touch of crazy wall walking and what not. This isn't wire fu by any means but there is a touch of the fantastic where one of the venoms is concerned.
- A very deep and twisty story, and not just for a kung fu film, which, for me, was most enjoyable but may put others off who are looking for something more straight up.
- The sound effects are great, some don't but I love those old school snap board sounds

BELOW THE BELT:
- The DVD release I watched was fully uncut, and cleaned up, but unfortunately it had no subs and language options so all I got was a shoddy dub - try and find one with all the bells and whistles or you'll be giggling more than I think was intended. Although from what I've been told the script (unlike the story) is merely adequate anyway.
- As I mentioned the story is far deeper than most people watching a bit of old chop socky have come to expect, and this may put some of those people off, but again, as I said above, I loved it.
- There also isn't as much Kung-Fu in here as some may be used too - there is plenty of nastiness but the fights are a little sparser than things from around the same time. That's not to say they're non existent, there's still plenty of action to keep you entertained.

THE FINAL STRIKE:
A classic of the genre, I can see the ripple of influence this film has created right up to today. Top characters with great styles, one of which I'm sure will stick amongst your faves, combine this with a brilliant yarn and all in all this is as good as it gets. This may be a little different than what you're used to but I'd grab it as fast as you can as I can't wait to see more awesomeness from the venoms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Animal magic., 14 Sept. 2013
Arch Stanton (Cornwall, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 Deadly Venoms [DVD] [1978] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
As an elderly kung fu master (Dick Wei) reflects on the achievements of his esoteric kung fu school, he decides that it was probably a bit naughty of him to train and unleash unto the world The Five Venoms; five experts in death, who each have a particular ability designed for assassinating an opponent. The Venoms, he continues, do not know who the other Venoms are and will only ever reveal their special skills in an emergency, but are sure to be hunting for their ill gotten gains as assassins, now kept secret from them by another kung fu master. He explains this to his remaining student ~ who has been taught a mixture of all five styles, but would not be able to beat anyone of the five venoms on his own, being him too much of a jack of all trades and kung fu master of none ~ as way of atoning for his sins, he sends the student out to hunt down and kill any of the venoms who are still evil, find the treasure and give it to charity...

This is regarded as a bit of a Shaw Brothers classic, it features a number of usual suspects in the cast and along with some garish violence, has some very distinctive characters. Chang Cheh weaves quite an interesting web of detective work, which gives us a bit more than just the usual revenger, as he slowly reveals to the audience who The Venoms (both good and bad) are, and of course (without giving too much away) the bad guys team together, as do the good guys creating a story of corruption and deadly intrigue, with a venomous showdown at the end. The kung fu on offer is very good indeed and the main players, with the likes of Phillip Kwok (Mad Dog in Hard Boiled) and perennial bad guy Lung Wei Wang are all excellent!

The region 1 disc on review from Dragon Dynasty is up to their usually high standards.

4/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as people would have you believe, 27 April 2014
Having watched this again last night I felt that I had to share my opinion on this film.I really feel that the Five Deadly Venoms is highly over rated for the simple fact that it was the first film to feature the legendary venom's.While I agree that the film is a bona fide cult classic it's over reliance on gimmicks,convoluted story and average choreography make it one of the weaker venoms pics compared to what was to follow.The main problem with the film is the initial hook,Chang Cheh was renowned for this,his films often gripped you from the start and sustained that excitement until the conclusion.This film hardly has any action in the first hour and that's the main reason you watch this kind of movie.If you want to experience the venom's in all their glory please check out the follow up Crippled Avengers aka return of the 5 deadly venom's that is a masterpiece compared to this.The dvd:the dvd from Dragon Dynasty is excellent,just devoid of extras,It's region 1 so beware.The picture remastered by celestial pictures looks absolutely stunning,the English mono soundtrack is good and you also have the option to watch the film in it's original language.There's audio commentary from Hong Kong film expert Bey Logan but no trailers or anything else.Thanks for reading and if you like the venom's as much as I do please feel free to check these classics out:Crippled avengers,Shaolin rescuers,Five element ninjas and the Magnificent ruffians.

4.0 out of 5 stars KUNG FU WITH BITE!, 4 Mar. 2009

THE HIGH KICKS:

BELOW THE BELT:

THE FINAL STRIKE:

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Slice of Old Skool Kung Fu, 25 Aug. 2010
Craig Finlay - See all my reviews
I've just finished watching this celebrated Shaw Brothers production. So let me attempt to provide a balanced review:

I approached the film as a fan of martial arts (I love watching Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Gordon Liu etc), but was not not overly familiar with the work of the Shaw Brothers.

I can see both sides of the coin as to why people love and loathe this movie in equal measure. The first half of the film is challenging to say the least. The first five minutes set up an interesting premise, introducing the viewer to each of the Deadly Venoms, but then things start to get a bit confusing. It's hard to keep up with the intricate plot, not helped by the fact that some of the characters look very similar and the subtitles are all over the place.

But make no mistake - the plot is sublime, however you either have to be on your toes, or watch the film a couple of times, to appreciate how clever and original it is.

5 Venoms is really a whodunnit, with the odd slice of kung fu and sadistic murder thrown in. As has been pointed out by other reviewers. the martial arts are a bit iffy, and the production values are terrible (by the standards of today), but the movie oozes cult appeal. An eerie sountrack lends an air of suspense and atmosphere to proceedings and, with a smattering of torture thrown in, it all feels quite 'dark'.

If you can cope with the first 50 mins, you will be rewarded in the second, when the plot comes together and starts to speed up.

If you're after non-stop action you will be sorely disapointed. If its amazing stunts and realistic fights you want to see, best avoid. However, if you enjoy low-budget cult horror, suspensefull whodunnits or - dare I say it - crappy B-movies, this is certainly worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kung Fu, 9 April 2013
This is an old Shaw Bros Kung Fu Movie from right back, in the Golden age of Hong Kong action Cinema days, a classic Kung Fu movie! i love Hong Kong action Movies especially the old Classics like this one, a must see for Martial Arts fans of the old school Films, GREAT!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars can't really rate the film as it won't play. ..., 19 Oct. 2014
A. S. Reed (cornwall. UK) - See all my reviews
can't really rate the film as it won't play. No it's not the wrong format, I have a multi region player and have watched many other region 1 dvds on it. It won't even play on my computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great i guess, 13 Sept. 2013
Bought as a present for my uncle who's into all the martial-artsy things. He said its great. and the price was great, so everyone's happy