5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best
I'm delighted with this keyboard & mouse. It installed like a dream and works superbly. Don't know what all this talk about the scroll wheel is. I installed the software and it all works great. The speed of the vertical (and sideways)scrolling is adjustable and works smoothly.
Published on 15 Nov. 2011 by Bright Spark

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusually sharp design, but functionality suffers somewhat
The photos of this wireless desktop keyboard and mouse on Amazon look rather prosaic, so what a pleasant surprise to find a sharply designed keyboard, learning a lot from apple with a black top enclosed to bottom and sides by a scooped white surround.

Published on 3 Oct. 2009 by The Navigator

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout (Electronics)
I plugged the wireless dongle into my desktop USB hub so I can unplug it easily to insert it into the mouse to turn it off if req'd. The blue led under the mouse does stay on all the time. I left the mouse on its side against the wall overnight & when I checked early next morning (still dark) the led was still glowing and pulsing. I'm gonna leave the mouse permanently on (not inserting the dongle into the base of the mouse) until the batteries go flat to see how long they last. If they don't last long I will start switching it off with the dongle. Watch this space for an update. The keyboard and mouse both look great and are comfy to use. I love the multimedia controls: Particularly the magnifier and pause, play, skip & replay buttons (work brill with Spotify). The volume control with on-screen display is pretty cool too.
All in, superb value for money. I'm a very happy bunny!
Update 06/05/12: Mouse still on original batteries. Conclusion: Battery life doesn't seem adversely affected by blue light being permanently on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic hardware that plays well with Linux, 23 Mar. 2010
Damian Counsell (UK) - See all my reviews
If you use a desktop PC for a living, then this bundle is a simple, effective way of working with it.

Although I plugged them into a machine running a newer version of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition 32bit x86 (Hardy Heron) (GNU/Linux), I suspect that any owner of a PC running a recent edition of Windows will be able to do as I did: skip loading the accompanying driver CD, install the batteries (included), and simply connect the keyboard and mouse to the base unit with the small, USB-key-style receiver that also comes in the box, before turning the machine back on again and using both the keyboard and mouse straight away.

The keyboard is not like a classic IBM PC or Das Keyboard---underneath its surface is, I suspect, the usual rubbery-but-quiet membrane---but its action is reasonably positive and firm, it has marked home keys for touch-typists, it has the classic navigation key layout (unlike most of the usually otherwise excellent Logitech models these days), and you can flip legs down from the base of its light and slim frame to give the whole thing a rake.

Ubuntu (actually, Kubuntu 9.10, for those who care about such things) recognized all the important multimedia keys. In fact, although the keyboard has fewer keys in total than the more expensive Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 5000 - Grey, it seems to have a better choice of them, better laid out. It also seems (so far) to be more reliable and responsive to their use.

The mouse is pleasingly chunky in the hand and its BlueTrack(tm) technology is more than a gimmick: the performance of the device is precise and robust.

If you want to be productive at your desk and you don't require high-performance computing---or even if you do and you can afford to---then you should devote a large chunk of your hardware budget to high-quality user interface components: monitor(s), typing and pointing devices, etc. Computer accessories that Just Work pay for themselves in saved time and stress.

This particular typing-and-pointing package isn't cheap, but it does well what it claims to do, and what I imagine most business buyers want it to do. It can also be used to operate media players---in my case, Amarok. Despite my dislike of Microsoft's software, I have to admit that this is another example of how good its hardware can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class double act, 9 Jan. 2012
Having been meaning to move over to wireless keyboard and mouse for some time now I finally took the plunge, not with this pairing but with a cheaper unbranded mouse and keyboard. Whilst they were good, they were nothing compared to the Desktop 3000 mouse and keyboard pairing. What forced me to buy again was the fact that I had previously used the wired Microsoft Media keyboard and mouse and missed all the application and short cut keys that combination had. What surprised me most with this set however is the sheer quality of both the keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is a joy to use, not just because of all the short-cut keys, all of which are customiseable I believe, but the quality of the action of the keys themselves. They are both nicely muted and with a silky smooth feel. All in all an excellent keyboard.

I was originally considering getting a logitech mouse, the M705, but with Amazon's pricing as it is at the moment it's actually cheaper to buy the keyboard and mouse as a set rather than the keyboard on its own so that's obviously what I did, with the intention of buying the logitech mouse separately. However having now used the mouse that comes with this set (separately called the Wireless mouse 5000) I've decided not to. It's quite big for a mouse but is very well made with a beautifully tactile, solid feel to all the switches and with nicely cut out sides for gripping. It's quite heavy but feels very comfortable in the hand for my medium-sized hand. The only small downsides for me are the smooth, highly polished surface that can feel rather sticky at times and the fact the the wheel spins smoothly without the option of having 'notches' as per the logitech version. Although that's something I feel I'll soon get used to.

Overall I'm really pleased with this combination, for the price of 32.99 I feel its a bargain. Buy with confidence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusually sharp design, but functionality suffers somewhat, 3 Oct. 2009

The basic keyboard works fine - rather laptop like keys and travel. But functionally the style comes at a price. Function keys are small and recessed, so if you are used to typing fast and using keyboard shortcuts as you go, this will slow you down significantly.

The design includes what appears to be a wrist rest - a slope of black rubber at the lower edge of the keyboard. This looks great, but it is too shallow to work as a wrist rest and anyway the slope pulls your wrists away from the keybnoard if you try to rest on it: worse it prevents you putting a proper rest where you most need one.

So terrific from the point of view of appearance, less good is you are a touch typist and probably a big no if you suffer from RSI.

I realise I haven't commented on the mouse - with 5 buttons vertical and horizontal scroll wheel and bluetrack technology, not to mention (especially given the problems of the keyboard) a good ergonomic design - it's a first class bit of kit.

Finally the wireless set itself up and worked straight off without any intervention on my part (load up the software first, and it all sorts itself out).

4.0 out of 5 stars A good balance of features and price, 27 Aug. 2014
I researched a lot before making this purchase. I had a great microsoft keyboard mouse combo that was over 8 years old but was like an old friend. Very comfortable and with a sculptured mouse. When that failed I could not see a near equivalent so chose this one on a balance of price and features. Firstly the keyboard looks smart, both from above and the side and when elevated sits at a comfortable angle. It has a good feel when typing and has a mass of programmable buttons. One reviewer commented that there is no caps lock indicator but it appears bottom right on screen for me. Perhaps they needed to download the right software/drivers. The mouse is pretty straightforward and feels good in the hand. The 'click' is a touch loud for my tastes but it works fine. I've dropped a star off this review since the USB dongle doesnt seem to have a great range. I plugged it into the back of my PC under my desk and the devices worked intermittently. Ive now added a USB dongle extension so its above my desk and it works fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Desktop 3000, 27 Sept. 2011
Pleased with large, clearly laid out keyboard with helpful shortcut buttons. Very straight forward layout and easy to use.
The only big drawback with the Wireless mouse is remembering to replace the transceiver in the underside of the mouse - otherwise the battery is drained very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Desktop set with only minor niggles that can be rectified by a novice., 8 Oct. 2014
The mouse is excellent, with good feel, weight and functionality. I have a Computer business and regularly purchase this Desktop Set. The Keyboard has a good build quality and is smart in appearance but does seem to have functionality issues from time to time that can be rectified by moving the Wireless Receiver. Microsoft also recommend removing the batteries and re-inserting them to reset the Keyboard. The problems observed are key presses that don't respond immediately, which can be very frustrating for customers. I gave the overall score of 4 because although there can be niggles I haven't found a better overall combination for the price. If you haven't used this set before, remember to go to the Windows Action Centre to finish downloading and installing the software, as there is no installation disk. I have used this set with both Windows 8 and 8.1.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Mouse - Not so Great Keyboard, 14 Feb. 2013
Chris S (South Shields, UK) - See all my reviews
This is battery powered, wireless keyboard and mouse set. Both keyboard and mouse use a single dongle which is about the size of a AA battery and protudes a fair bit. Fine if round the back of the tower unit but be careful if you want to use it on an exposed USB port. This also means you have to use them as a pair.

Keyboard and mouse require two AA batteries each - however these last for ages. I'm quite a heavy user and I get at least a couple of months from each.

I like the mouse - a good size, a nice weight and feels great in the hand. Left and right mouse buttons and the scroll wheel can be used to scan horizontally as well as vertically - good for big Excel worksheets. It also comes with two programmable buttons on either side.

The keyboard on the other hand... it's well made and feels solid, certainly not cheap. However it might just be me but I just can't get in to a good rhythm with it. Compared to the chunky Lenovo keyboard I use at work I seem to mistype every other word. The keys don't seem to have the same clearance between them as as other keyboards - not quite the scrabble tile style of laptops but not quite the same as "normal" keyboards. What else - the numlock / caps lock / scroll lock rely on an on-screen icon rather than a light on the keyboard itself which frankly makes it hard to tell if they're on or not. The function keys are labelled with their short cut icons - the "F" number is a very pale blue above each key - which means if you're in the habit of using the F keys you need to break off and check you're hitting the right one. Not ideal. On the plus side, the keyboard comes plenty of programmable shortcut keys which combined with the supplied software you can pretty much do anything you want with a single keypress.

Being wireless is a real boon - if I need to rearrange my desk being able to just put the keyboard and mouse out of the way without worrying about cables is great.

In summary - love the mouse, not so keen on the keyboard - it's frankly a pain to use. Only the wireless element of it keeps me using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 2 Dec. 2012
E. J. Webb "Eric" (UK) - See all my reviews
Briefly, this is a Wireless mouse 5000 + Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0. It comes with no driver disc and no useful instructions in the pack. Contrary to the pack legend it WILL work with 'normal' 32-bit Win XP, but not with the 64-bit version. With XP it will also work straightaway as plugged-in but to get access to the fancy mouse and keyboard customisations you need to go to Microsoft's site for the drivers: [...]. Perhaps these install automatically in later operating systems?

The keyboard is excellent, the mouse so-so. Be aware that the scroll-wheel is not indented so tends to move you on the page as you try to mid-click a web link to open it in a fresh tab. With a little practice this gets easier, but I still prefer indents.

The tiny thingy underneath the mouse is to switch it off - achieved by stuffing the USB key into the recess in which it sits. This is really dumb! Few of us will ever use a desktop such as this save with a desktop computer. Who wants to pull the key out after use with one of those? I'm resigning myself to rather rapid battery consumption, or I may take a tip from another reviewer and cut an indiarubber to fit to bung it up. (Or cheese - mouse - geddit - oh dear!) Another example of Microsoft's recurrent talent for getting the details wrong - of which Win8 is probably the terminal example as this latest half-baked OS will surely finish them in the business market. (The continuing backward compatibility of the vast bulk of hardware and of bread & butter programs with XP says all that needs to be said on that score!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a pleasing object, 10 Jan. 2012
This set just arrived today, 2 days before amazons earliest prediction, which is just adding to my joy.

I'm finding the keyboard even nicer than anything the pictures could display, largely due to the material of hand rest. So nice to the touch, I can tell after a while it's going to get visible scratches on it but luckily its a material that I think will age well and not ruin the overall luxury.

A few minor problems I'm finding are that it's more compact and orientated further to the left than I'm used to, also the zoom out button is a little close to the shift button, up to this point in the review I've pressed it twice by accident. Although all of these will probably straighten themselves out given a while.

The shortcut buttons are unobtrusive, and the ones I will never use are easily customisable. There's a few nice little extras in there too, such as a button just for the calculator, my pictures and my documents.

The mouse has a nice design and a good weight when the batteries are added. I'm finding the wheel a bit slippery, its hard to control how fast it will go. Also I use programs where the middle wheel button is used frequently, and the feel is more than disappointing - it's takes some effort with no real physical feedback.

Saying that I'm impressed it works when placed on top of my graphics tablet, which my red laser mouse never did. The connectivity of the keyboard is perfect, but possibly just because its placed further away (Around 4 feet) the mouse tends to lag sometimes.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase, the keyboard on its own is a pleasure but the mouse has a few issues, but no deal breakers.