4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased.
Published on 7 April 2012 by 19ninety

1.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading description
Published on 26 Jan 2012 by Lev Dorosinskii

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased., 7 April 2012
This review is from: Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Canon EOS 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 100D, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 700D, 1000D, 1100D & 1200D Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Well, I stumbled across this whilst looking for a different lens. When I saw the price my first thought was that this will be the usual cheap junk you'd find on eBay or similar. However I looked at the reviews and they are mostly positive and I was then sold on the idea of trying fisheye (a dedicated lens is a lot of money just to experiment with!), a bonus was that it also has a macro lens too.

Pros:
Well built - All metal construction, very sturdy.
Fisheye and macro in one unit.
Cheap - Affordable if you want to try fisheye.
Comes with nice carry case and lens cloth.
67mm Front filter ring.

Cons:
No Manual.
Dust Magnet - Lens attracts a LOT of dust.
AF doesn't work accurately/at all.
Front lens cap fits very poorly.

How to use:
To use as a Fisheye lens; Screw the macro lens to the fisheye lens, screw the appropriate adapter ring to your camera lens, then screw the Opteka lens to your camera lens.
To use as a macro lens; Simply unscrew the fisheye lens from the macro lens. (Max distance is around 2" with canon kit lens).

Initially I unpacked this and screwed the 58-52mm adapter (included) to my 55-250mm lens, screwed the macro and fisheye lens on and went "meh". Using this lens on a my 55-250mm doesn't produce a fisheye effect, all it does is widen the view to ~24mm equivalent, from 55mm on the image becomes VERY soft. The macro works but only really at 55mm, there after the edge again become increasingly soft.

I then tried the Opteka on my kit 18-55, better results, at 18mm you get the typical fisheye effect, at ~38mm the vignette isn't visible, but the fisheye effect become more like lens distortion than anything. You can focus objects as close as 1mm from the lens, any closer and you'll find yourself focusing on any dust on the lens! The macro lens is good when attached to the kit lens, at 55mm you can really get some impressive photos, for example seeing the fibres in a bit of paper.

All in all, for the money you cant really complain! With the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye Zoom Lens costing nearly £1000.00, the Opteka .35x HD² Fisheye Macro is a no brainer for anyone wanting to experiment with fisheye and macro without shelling out mega bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection perfection perfection!!, 5 May 2010
Robert Harvey (kent, england) - See all my reviews
I'm currently a first year media student at university and I just really wanted something that would give a different outlook from the audiences point of view. I've got a Canon 450D and I've always been keen on fisheye lens photography yet never had the money for something deemed professional, thankfully I did some hunting and found this little beauty!

Long story short, I really can't fault this product or the company, I don't see why you would spend more on a lens when this, compared to others, is nice, cheap, solid, stable and well yeah faultless.

The delivery was extremely impressive considering it's being shipped from Brooklyn. Comes with a complimentary handy cleaning kit etc. Really worth the money, pleased I spent some of my student loan on this!

Because I'm so pleased with everything about the company, in the near future I'm going to be buying one of their lenses for my new video camera and one of their camera grips as well. Surely they'll be just as good!

Buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 7 Jun 2010
S. Bowsher (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
Bought this for use on my next holiday and had to test it out as soon as I got home. Took a few test shots in the garden and they came out great. Really happy with this lens, the complimentary lens care pack and what with the quick delivery from the US...well impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great double lens for price!!, 16 Jan 2013
Like a previous customer, I got this for christmas after I stumbled across this. (apologies for copying 19Ninety but it's just as you say!)

I have a Pentax K-r and it is fun and brilliant!

First thought was that this will be the usual cheap lens you'd find on eBay, but I looked at the reviews and they are mostly positive and I was then sold on the idea of trying fisheye (a dedicated lens is a lot of money just to experiment with!), a bonus was that it also has a macro lens too.

WELL RECOMMENDED!!

Pros:
Well built - All metal construction, very sturdy.
Fisheye and macro in one unit.
Cheap - Affordable if you want to try fisheye and not spend ££££££££.
Comes with nice carry case and lens cloth.
67mm Front filter ring.

Cons:
No Manual.
Dust Magnet - Lens attracts some dust, guess depends on where using it.
AF doesn't work accurately/at all.... so use manual and preferably a tripod.
Front lens cap fits just.

How to use:
To use as a Fisheye lens: Screw the whole lens to the camera's 18-55mm lens front, it comes with adapter rings too, 2 x adapaters for 58-52mm and 62-52mm so you can screw the appropriate adapter ring to your camera lens, then screw the Opteka lens to your camera lens.
To use as a macro lens: Simply unscrew the back of the fisheye lens which is the macro lens, as it comes in two parts you see... (Max distance is around 2" with Pentax kit lens).

All in all, for the money you cant really complain! With Fisheye Zoom Lens' costing ££££££, the Opteka .35x HD² Fisheye Macro is a no brainer for anyone wanting to experiment with fisheye and macro without shelling out mega bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomness!, 21 Nov 2011
This lens is just pure awesomness! I tried it with my 50mm f1.8 canon, the effect is amazing. I will never have to buy macro lens anymore. Opteka does the job, great stuff for such a small price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading description, 26 Jan 2012
I must say that the seller did not present this item properly. Presenting it as a "Lens for Canon EOS 1D, ... " naturally makes one think that this lens has a standard Canon EF mount, which it doesn't. It has a 52 mm thread and mounts not to the camera body but to the front of a regular lens. The phrase about "Professional High Speed Auto Focus" in Technical Details just adds to the misleading information as it supports the idea that it is an EF lens mounted on the camera body.

In the Technical Details they do write that "Adapters for 67mm, 58mm & 52mm Lenses Included" but I don't know how many people will understand that as, like me, many should think that this lens has an EF mount. Besides, the package shipped to me included only two adapters for 58mm and 52mm, there was no adapter for 67mm. And my main lens has a 67 mm fron thread, so I could not mount this lens. I have another telephoto lens with a 58 mm front thread. Of course it doesn't make sense to mount a wide angle extension on a telephoto lens, but just to try it I did that. It didn't produce a wide angle image, which is normal with a telephoto lens, no complaint about that. But the quality of the image was not good at all, it was far from being sharp in both "wide angle" and macro modes. Maybe, when mounted on a short focal length lens, it would result in a better image, but I could not check that because of the missing adapter. Will now contact the seller and try to get that adapter, then I will add the result to this review.

Addition. I have contacted the customer service and it appeared that they cannot ship the missing 67 mm adepter. So I am reducing my rating to just 1 star (before I gave 3). And have in mind that you should not buy this item if you have a lens with a 67 mm front thread.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good lens, 10 Aug 2010
I've tried this for a while, and I've to say, I'm satisfied. It makes any lens a macro and a fisheye, adding 2 lenses, it doesn't give any problem with the autofocus on my Canon EOS 40D. Vignetting is heavy under 25mm of lens lenght, and it causes a "glamour blur" effect on the picture if mounted on a Canon AF 50mm F1.8 with shutter set at 1.8... but it doesn't cause any problem with aperture 2.5 or more.

A good product, cheap and really stable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lens, 15 May 2012
Good quality lens with great wide angle on it. Great for capturing action sport footage up close, on a rail for example, and allowing you to fit everything in the frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality-Price relationship incredible, 4 Nov 2011
At first i wanted to buy a panorama lense for my Canon 450D. However the prices did not match my budget, so i decided to opt for a fish eye within my budget. I was satisfied with this purchase as the distortion in the image is extremely fish eyed and the quality of the image superb. I cannot think of a better purchase than these lens. Honestly.
Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens Attachment, 10 Dec 2011
This Opteka .35 HD2 is a brilliant piece of photography equipment, As a Photography student I wanted to explore all areas of photography and I was especially excited when I came across the thought that I could do Fisheye photography, So I looked around at normal canon ef fisheye lenses for my DSLR and looking at the price put me straight off as a fairly decent full frame costs around £500 new and £300 second hand and being in today's tough economic climate I just don't have that sort of money lying around. So after a few discussions with my classmates I was introduced to the Fisheye attachment lens as my friend had recently brought one. As soon as I saw the price I just had to get one, It was quick delivery and the packaging was intact. It also has a great capacity to do semi-fisheye macro shots to which adds a further element for me to explore in my A-level photography course. Overall it's a great bit of kit, Sturdy and well built, great fun to use! The only criticism I could give this attachment lens is that you are going to get less detail around the edges and slightly less deviation too! This can be photoshopped out but after all it is a cheaper option :)

ARRAY(0xabf12a20)