4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased.
Published on 7 April 2012 by 19ninety

2.0 out of 5 stars Lens elements just fall apart + image quality test
It is unacceptable that when I take the lens out of the box, the fisheye just fall apart in my hands (luckly not the floor). All the inner lenses and metal rings just pull off (the macro part was ok). Without instructions I had to decide by myself the order and side of each glass elements to rebuild the thing.
Also it is made in China not it Japan as described...
Published on 7 Mar. 2012 by fsoares

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased., 7 April 2012
This review is from: Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Canon EOS 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 100D, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 700D, 1000D, 1100D & 1200D Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Well, I stumbled across this whilst looking for a different lens. When I saw the price my first thought was that this will be the usual cheap junk you'd find on eBay or similar. However I looked at the reviews and they are mostly positive and I was then sold on the idea of trying fisheye (a dedicated lens is a lot of money just to experiment with!), a bonus was that it also has a macro lens too.

Pros:
Well built - All metal construction, very sturdy.
Fisheye and macro in one unit.
Cheap - Affordable if you want to try fisheye.
Comes with nice carry case and lens cloth.
67mm Front filter ring.

Cons:
No Manual.
Dust Magnet - Lens attracts a LOT of dust.
AF doesn't work accurately/at all.
Front lens cap fits very poorly.

How to use:
To use as a Fisheye lens; Screw the macro lens to the fisheye lens, screw the appropriate adapter ring to your camera lens, then screw the Opteka lens to your camera lens.
To use as a macro lens; Simply unscrew the fisheye lens from the macro lens. (Max distance is around 2" with canon kit lens).

Initially I unpacked this and screwed the 58-52mm adapter (included) to my 55-250mm lens, screwed the macro and fisheye lens on and went "meh". Using this lens on a my 55-250mm doesn't produce a fisheye effect, all it does is widen the view to ~24mm equivalent, from 55mm on the image becomes VERY soft. The macro works but only really at 55mm, there after the edge again become increasingly soft.

I then tried the Opteka on my kit 18-55, better results, at 18mm you get the typical fisheye effect, at ~38mm the vignette isn't visible, but the fisheye effect become more like lens distortion than anything. You can focus objects as close as 1mm from the lens, any closer and you'll find yourself focusing on any dust on the lens! The macro lens is good when attached to the kit lens, at 55mm you can really get some impressive photos, for example seeing the fibres in a bit of paper.

All in all, for the money you cant really complain! With the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye Zoom Lens costing nearly £1000.00, the Opteka .35x HD² Fisheye Macro is a no brainer for anyone wanting to experiment with fisheye and macro without shelling out mega bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 7 Jun. 2010
S. Bowsher (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
Bought this for use on my next holiday and had to test it out as soon as I got home. Took a few test shots in the garden and they came out great. Really happy with this lens, the complimentary lens care pack and what with the quick delivery from the US...well impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection perfection perfection!!, 5 May 2010
Robert Harvey (kent, england) - See all my reviews
I'm currently a first year media student at university and I just really wanted something that would give a different outlook from the audiences point of view. I've got a Canon 450D and I've always been keen on fisheye lens photography yet never had the money for something deemed professional, thankfully I did some hunting and found this little beauty!

Long story short, I really can't fault this product or the company, I don't see why you would spend more on a lens when this, compared to others, is nice, cheap, solid, stable and well yeah faultless.

The delivery was extremely impressive considering it's being shipped from Brooklyn. Comes with a complimentary handy cleaning kit etc. Really worth the money, pleased I spent some of my student loan on this!

Because I'm so pleased with everything about the company, in the near future I'm going to be buying one of their lenses for my new video camera and one of their camera grips as well. Surely they'll be just as good!

Buy this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good lens, 10 Aug. 2010
I've tried this for a while, and I've to say, I'm satisfied. It makes any lens a macro and a fisheye, adding 2 lenses, it doesn't give any problem with the autofocus on my Canon EOS 40D. Vignetting is heavy under 25mm of lens lenght, and it causes a "glamour blur" effect on the picture if mounted on a Canon AF 50mm F1.8 with shutter set at 1.8... but it doesn't cause any problem with aperture 2.5 or more.

A good product, cheap and really stable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomness!, 21 Nov. 2011
This lens is just pure awesomness! I tried it with my 50mm f1.8 canon, the effect is amazing. I will never have to buy macro lens anymore. Opteka does the job, great stuff for such a small price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality-Price relationship incredible, 4 Nov. 2011
At first i wanted to buy a panorama lense for my Canon 450D. However the prices did not match my budget, so i decided to opt for a fish eye within my budget. I was satisfied with this purchase as the distortion in the image is extremely fish eyed and the quality of the image superb. I cannot think of a better purchase than these lens. Honestly.
Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Opteka Fisheye Lens - Perfect for my Canon D1100, 10 Sept. 2012
I am beginner photographer looking to experiment with my pictures and wanted to invest in a fisheye lens. The other fisheye lenses I looked at were very expensive - going into £500+ so when I found this I was pleasantly surprised. The price £30 approx was GREAT and the delivery of the product was VERY fast.

The lens came with a great lens bag, small lens cleaning cloth and 2 perfectly fitting mounting rings that were not difficult to set up.

It produced a great effect for my photos and for the price it's WELL WORTH investing in, especially for beginners with DSLRs like myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far only a 3!! But now a 4 - and a good 4 at that!, 10 Jan. 2012
Up to now i can only give this item a 3. Let me explain, for £30 this is a great, inexpensive piece of kit but unfortunately when it arrived it had the adapters missing so i've sent it back and ordered another one. If this arrives in-tact then i'll raise my rating. If it arrives again with them missing then i'll leave it at a 3 but a good 3 and i'll order a couple of step-down convertor rings (which seem to be inexpensive as well, £1.50 with 99p postage).

The lens is a 52mm thread as standard and so without the adapters will only fit on my nifty 50mm which is a fixed macro lens and as such you do not get the Fisheye effect. I placed it over my 18-55mm and you can see how the fisheye will work when you zoom in and out. It comes in 2 pieces you need to have both pieces together to get the Fisheye effect but only need the small "macro" piece for macro work (although it does still work with the two pieces fitted together).

I'll update when i get my new one.

My new one arrived today and all is well, the adapter rings were included, i'll raise to a 4 but not to a five simply because of the hassle of needing to return, other than that excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!!, 14 Feb. 2012
I'm loving this item!

First off, the set is quite complete. You get the adapter rings for different lens widths (I use the 52-58 quite a lot), the lens adapter itself has 2 different pieces: The fisheye lens and a macro lens, although they are supposed to be used together, I've used the macro lens by itself and it works nicelly to get some macro pictures.

The construction/material quality is quite good, it feels sturdy and thight when assembled.

As for the quality of the pictures, it mostly depends on what lens you fit it in. On my favourite lens (cannon 50mm), the fisheye actually works as a wide angle lens, that when combined with the quality of a priming lens, produces really amazing pictures (for my amateur level of course). You won't get any cropping on the edges too. If you use a zoom lens, you can adjust between just opening the angle a bit, or going for the full "fisheye effect".

Of course that there are limitations when compared to a proper lens, but if you are looking for a inexpensive approach to fisheye photography or just want to try it out, this is a good option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens Attachment, 10 Dec. 2011
This Opteka .35 HD2 is a brilliant piece of photography equipment, As a Photography student I wanted to explore all areas of photography and I was especially excited when I came across the thought that I could do Fisheye photography, So I looked around at normal canon ef fisheye lenses for my DSLR and looking at the price put me straight off as a fairly decent full frame costs around £500 new and £300 second hand and being in today's tough economic climate I just don't have that sort of money lying around. So after a few discussions with my classmates I was introduced to the Fisheye attachment lens as my friend had recently brought one. As soon as I saw the price I just had to get one, It was quick delivery and the packaging was intact. It also has a great capacity to do semi-fisheye macro shots to which adds a further element for me to explore in my A-level photography course. Overall it's a great bit of kit, Sturdy and well built, great fun to use! The only criticism I could give this attachment lens is that you are going to get less detail around the edges and slightly less deviation too! This can be photoshopped out but after all it is a cheaper option :)