Format: DVD|Change

on 12 May 2015
charming comedy about a young man who runs a video store, and lives in a world of film references.
he has trouble with girl-friends until lucy liu's lively and unconventional character snaps him out of
his fantasies. good chemistry between these two actors, and some very funny dialogue and scenes.
Cillian Murphy and Lucy Liu are great.
on 23 December 2014
A very watchable film. One of Lucy Liu's best I think. She is kooky rather than glamorous and all the more endearing for it. The plot was different and well acted by all. Very entertaining, and for me, the hallmark of a good film is whether you want to watch it again. Well this is the second time I have seen the film and there will be a third.
on 25 July 2013
Just got around to finally watching this little indie charmer and I must say 1) it was incredibly refreshing seeing the extremely talented Cillian Murphy being cast against type and having so much fun with it (his long crying-scene had me in tears from laughter!) and 2) Lucy Liu was very quirky and terrific (her fake drunk scene is priceless). The two of them make for one of the most adorable odd couples I've seen in years.

If you're a huge movie buff (this film is LOADED with cinematic references) and love romantic movies with quirky characters, chances are you'll enjoy this little gem. Also, I can normally tell where most movies are going, but this one caught me by surprise at every corner! :)
on 13 May 2012
I purchased this DVD because of the two main actors, Cillian Murhpy and Lucy Liu have a wonderful chemistry in their scene's together. There is also are two wonderful charcters who are film geeks who provide some wonderful surreal moments.

I would recommend this film if you want a rom com it is not filled with the standard Hollywood card board cut and paste plot and charcters. I would say this is as good as "Sideways" in being charcter led.
on 30 June 2016
I'll be honest: I came to this movie because I'm a Cillian Murphy fan. I will sit through any Cillian Murphy movie, no matter how much I hate the genre or how bad it turns out to be - and... There have been a lot of bad movies. Sure, he's great in all of them, but generally they're not the best out there, especially older stuff.
I wasn't just pleasantly surprised when I got around to Watching the Detectives: I was overjoyed.

This film is hilarious, for one. I ended up watching it twice in one day, and got so much extra out of it the second time - while pretty basic, the plot nonetheless keeps you engaged, it's cheesy and self-derogatory by its very nature, and the acting from Cillian Murphy but also Lucy Liu is fantastic. I still think that her character falls a little flat at times, but less so after the second watching; similarly, the character of Neil played by anyone else could easily be a dull and generic one, but Cillian Murphy's particular characterisations make him instead hilarious and, of course, lovable.
Maybe this film isn't for everyone, but put it this way: heterosexual love stories filled with cheese and tropes is among my least favourite genres - but I loved Watching the Detectives.
on 27 December 2010
I thought this movie was quite enjoyable. If you want an easy-going romantic comedy with some quirky twists it surely fits the bill. Liu and Murphy have great chemistry and despite their characters beeing, well, somewhat annoying at times you do want to see them together in the end which is always a good sign when it comes to romantic comedies. However, the twists and turns as well as some scenes that are truly cringe-worthy when it comes to comedic timing drags down the rating for me. Also, being a fan of Mr Murphy's earlier work I'm somewhat baffled that he would choose this movie considering the great, stand-out roles he has taken on earlier (in for example The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Sunshine, Breakfast on Pluto...). Him being a part of a movie has always been as sign that the audience is invited to something extraordinary and thought-provoking and Watching the Detectives is none of these things. In the end it's a feel-good movie that gives a few laughs though so if that's what you're looking for you'll surely be satisfied.
on 27 June 2014
Yes, it is a Rom-Com, kind of. But ignore the cutesy cover with the heart-shaped clouds.

This is something different.

All that is required of Cillian Murphy in this movie is to react to Lucy Liu, which he does, but in a really lovely way. Her character is nuts, that's the simplest way of putting it, but sometimes it's nice to have a little crazy in your life.

Every performance is solid, Paul Soter shows that he isn't 'just' a member of Broken Lizard, but that he has his own voice and style, and, fine, I'll admit it, even if it wasn't already a 5 star movie, it'd get a bonus star for featuring an 'Eagles of Death Metal' song
on 28 May 2014
I chose this rating because of the different nature of this film's theme, as well as the superb acting of the cast. It is a most unusual drama, with constant surprise and turn of events. I would recommend it for anyone wishing some time out of the ordinary.
on 20 January 2013
As another review mentioned: with Lucy Lui and Gillian Murphy one would hope for something better. The summary of the film sounds like a "must" for film buffs. However, the film allusions are minimal and the story (of a crazy-type, footloose and fancy free woman enticing a nerdy guy into her world) was done so much better in "When Brendan Met Trudy." Watch that one instead of this fluff.
on 12 February 2014
Intriguing casting so I thought I'd give it a go. And coz I like both actor and actress. Really quite good. And funny. Ish.