5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted
The first time I listened to The Little Match Girl Passion on headphones, with no distractions, I had to stop listening by the second part. Bursting into tears on the train is not a good look for a grown man.

This is an incredible, moving piece of music. Subject matter aside, its simplicity and sparse beauty makes it some of the best new music I heard in 2009.
Published on 6 Jan. 2010 by G. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Inoffensive
Published 20 months ago by Mr Ons

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 6 Jan. 2010
G. Anderson "contrarian" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Lang: Little Match Girl Passion (Theatre of Voices/Paul Hillier) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravishing Choir Saga, 11 April 2010
William Rasmussen "Swedewille" (Malmö, Sweden) - See all my reviews
I first came into contact with this piece of music at the home of a
friend. He played it on his first class Hifi equipment, and we sat,
listening, for 35 minutes without speaking a word! This piece of
choir music is unlike anything you've heard before. From the very
first phrase, you are caught, eagerly waiting for what will come
next. It is so pure, so clear and so exciting. The voices constantly
complenting each other in wonderful graceful loops. Beautiful!?
Astonishingly beautiful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary work, with a powerful emotional punch, 4 Feb. 2014
Extraordinary work, with echoes both of Renaissance choral polyphony and modern holy minimalism, but to my ears entirely different and new. Each musical phrase seems to hang in the air, distinct and jewel-like, yet contributing to a layered whole that carries a powerful, cumulative emotional punch. The recording does the material and superb singing full justice, and SACD playback captures the ambience particularly well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Dec. 2012
David Lang's idea is original and the result is very easy to enjoy. I recommend this album, worth every pound!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Inoffensive, 26 Jun. 2013
This is a nice enough piece of work, fairly interesting here and there, and reminiscent of Steve Reich's 'Proverb' in places. I'm sure that I'll listen to it a few times more, and generally I quite liked it - there's not much not to like. Once could spend all day throwing superlatives at it, and the critics seemed to have done this, as did the Pulitzer committee. However, there's nothing particularly challenging about the music, and I just felt that it was all a bit too nice and safe and all very lovely (more tea Vicar?). After I'd finished listening to this CD what I really wanted to do was to listen to some music with cojones, in order to wash the saccharin out of my ears: a blast of Michael Gordon followed by some Louis Andriessen and everything was back in order again.