4.0 out of 5 stars does the job, but sizing might be a problem for some people
Still playing football when your 45 means you do get more aches and pains than your younger self.

My right ankle seems to be a cause for concern so having sprained it a couple of times I found this piece of kit to help out.

Published on 9 Mar 2012 by Mr. J. Clements

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not "easily fit in most shoe styles" as claimed
I have a 'problem foot'. Among other things, one ankle rolls inward when I walk and this has been giving me some pain recently, so an ankle stabiliser sounded like a good thing to try.

Published 23 months ago by Lacrimosa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job, but sizing might be a problem for some people, 9 Mar 2012

You open up all the velcro ties and place your foot into the material, then close the ties around the top of the foot and leg, before dragging the other two ties across the foot.

It does enclose the foot really well, and does provide the extra support and padding to keep my ankle protected, but also to stop it turning over, which it has done while training on a couple of occassions.

Have used it only 3-4 times so far but it seems to be doing exactly what I needed it to do, and I will report back after using it in a real match, as that will be a real test of how much support it provides.

Things to note about the product.

Firstly if you have large feet, not size, but height then you might struggle to get this on, it only just fits over my foot when tightened, and with my ankles being quite large the straps around the ankle are tight, but it does fit.

Secondly when your wearing it, if you play football, you probably won't be able to wear shin pads that come with ankle supports, I have had to resort to an old fashioned pair of pads that velcro around my shin and calf.

Thought I would add a footnote that I have now played quite a few competitive games using this strap, it's still in very good condition, and is providing the support I need, January 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me back my life!!, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
I have quite severe arthritis in my ankle and have been reduced to using crutches at times, rest of the time every step has been painful. I have been using this stabilizer for 1 week and today I walked 3 miles with no pain. Swelling in my ankle has also been reduced. Easy to put on and comfortable to wear. Fabulous!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing ever, 28 Oct 2012
Having torn the ligaments in my ankle I needed a well fitting, strong support that didn't cost the earth. This arrived and was an instant relief. Finally my foot doesn't point outwards and i can almost walk without crutches after 11 weeks. It's stretchy but if you have a very large ankle it could be tight. Mine are large and it's only tight on my heel. Well worth the money

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not "easily fit in most shoe styles" as claimed, 26 Jan 2013
Lacrimosa (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I've had mixed results. Personally I've found the fit on my foot to be good (I'm female with slim feet and ankles). The support is well made, comfortable and does seem to help with the pain, however I've not had much success with fitting a shoe or boot on top of it, so don't agree with the manufacturer's claim that it "will easily fit in most shoe styles". My day-to-day zip up knee boots wouldn't do up over it. While I can just about crush my foot plus stabiliser into my slimline Hunter wellies, the fit was so tight that that I didn't think it wise to leave the house like that, and had a hell of a job getting the boot back off again. I had much better results fitting it into my (rather roomy) hiking boots, but took it off less than two miles into a ten mile walk after it started rubbing. Neither did wearing it in bed work for me, as it would appear that I point my toes in bed. With the stabiliser on, this resulted in a sharp pain in the back of the heel that woke me up in the wee small hours, prompting me to claw the stabiliser off and toss it across the room.

What I'm doing, then, is just pottering around my home in it. For comfort, I wear it on top of socks, with open-backed slippers. In this context then it's great, but I'm not getting nearly as much use out of it as I'd hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
This product is extremely strong and the support it gives is excellent. Just what I needed! I had damaged my ankle and kept going over on it. This obvious weakness is no longer a problem thanks to the Mueller ankle Stabilizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Send, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
Would highly recommend this support to anyone with ankle problems that play football.

I bought a pair for my troublesome weak ankles and they solve my pain, recovery periods and there's no more skipping weeks on end out of the season! For the price, they are good value for money, worth a gamble if you are suffering and they will last if you leave them in soak after use - don't be tempted to throw them in the washing machine!

Everyone in football will tell you to wear the lightest boots, smallest shin pads etc for speed, load of rubbish. For any Roy Keane style, grass roots, black boot wearing Central Midfielder - these are essential.

It will take a monster kick from someone to injure your ankles when wearing these with football socks! Good protection and you wont even notice they are there as long as they aren't done up too tight and you keep your circulation going.

Personally, I also feel more confident smashing my foot through a ball wearing these as well.

Real footballers gear that will help you avoid ankle injuries and keep you playing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does this product really prevent an ankle from turning over?, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
This is a well constructed product that arrived in good time. The question is whether its effective for the purpose of protecting your ankle. Personally I think a simple sleeve that applies pressure is more effective than this product for what I needed. I found the brace uncomfortable while wearing shoes. More importantly, in order to have the brace prevent your ankle from turning over it needs to be strapped on tight - too tight to wear while playing sport. Otherwise there is a lot of give; If you put yourself in a position to roll your ankle its going to go over whether this brace was on or not. Therefore at the price I wouldn't buy this product again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mueller ankle stabilizer, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
Would have been really good but only comes in one size and this was not large enough. I needed it to support my ankle while waiting for Ankle Fusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to apply properly, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
This works, in that it does stabilise the ankle, but it is VERY hard to put on. I think the problem is the instep strap is too short, and requires quite a grip to pull it across and get it fastened. I have reasonable mobility, can do my own toenails, etc. I also have small feet (UK 6.5) that are actually a narrow width. So I'm well within the size range for this product.

I think the problem is that side braces aren't angled enough, so the sides leave gaps when you try to fit both instep and ankle pieces. If you planned to keep your toes pointed like a ballet dancer's, this would be a good fit, but if you try to put your foot down in a normal flat-footed position, the thing just buckles uncomfortably. I think this would be very difficult to wear with a shoe.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Support This Support, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilizer (Sports)
As a more robust ankle support, this is perfect. For every day use it can become uncomfortable due to the plastic strips that run through the support, but if you're looking something with more protection then it's great, with the plastic strips adding higher stability and rigidity. They will also protect the ankle from knocks.

For every day or prolonged use it's probably worth looking at something more flexible and comfortable, but overall I would highly recommend this support.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›