4.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack to a Slightly Scary Dream
As ever Lisa Gerrard's work is deeply emotive, haunting and very evocative. This album would sit neatly between Mirror Pool and Duality. I thought it considerably pared down from Immortal Memory and reminded me very much of Within the Realm of a Dying Sun by her former group Dead Can Dance.
Though I enjoyed it, I did find it a little scary and had to have someone...
Published on 17 Aug 2007 by Lab Rat

3.0 out of 5 stars New Tracks or Lost Soundtrack Pieces?
I was prehaps naively excited when I heard The Silver Tree was coming. Maybe I just got too overexcited? After the first listen I was completely underwhealmed. Now a month on from that and repeated listens later its gone up in my estimations but it just seems lazy in places.

Published on 16 Jan 2007 by S. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack to a Slightly Scary Dream, 17 Aug 2007
Lab Rat (Bicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
Though I enjoyed it, I did find it a little scary and had to have someone hold my hand when I listened to it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A religious and devotional album, 4 Jan 2009
F. H. Riley "Fred Riley" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
I agree with Lab Rat who wrote that this album is "scary", as it does stir the butterflies in the stomach. I think this is down to the extensive use of very low frequency ambient sounds which have an unsettling effect on the listener. This is very much an album to listen to in a quiet room with good-quality speakers that can render bass notes effectively. To my mind, it's a continuation from Immortal Memory, the sleeve notes of which make plain that it's a highly religious, devotional work. The Silver Tree is even more devotional and intense, and highly affecting even for this atheistic reviewer. It's a bit like sitting in a vast cathedral listening to an ethereal choir accompanied by a massive stomach-rumbling organ and a chamber orchestra.

Gone is the exotic eclecticism of Dead Can Dance, to be replaced by intense introspection and worship. This is neither good nor bad, more a 'phase change', but it's hard to see how much further Gerrard can go down this path. At this stage, I feel that she could do with Brendan Perry back to jar her from her introspection and get her exploring other musical styles, as she and he were so good at with DCD.

The only sour note in an otherwise fine opus is the execrable electro-poppy track 6, which completely destroys the contemplative atmosphere built up by the previous tracks.

3.0 out of 5 stars New Tracks or Lost Soundtrack Pieces?, 16 Jan 2007
S. Smith "sitorimon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The single "Come Tenderness" sums it all up. Lisa's voice is as haunting as it is beautiful - there is no denying that. The voice however is being relied a bit too much upon to see the song through. The chords in the background meandor through and never really get into a real melody unlike the previous albums. It's all leant towards ambience which works fine had Whale Rider not already been produced and left such a profound mark on that segment of Lisa's work. "Inexile", "The Sea Whisperer", "Wandering Star" & "Valley Of The Moon" all follow the same work of thought.

Then you have several pure ambient clashing and banging tracks which remind me of Silent Hill computer game soundtracks but they do not blend well with the rest of the album. Point at hand is the ten minute "Towards The Tower" which could have been an absolutely stunning piece of music had it been not written for background music and actually written for pure musical listening.

That leaves you with "Devotion" which is Lisa at her magical best, "Serenity" which is a clever little tune, "Abwoon" which is a vocal collage of sounds but is a bit repeditive and "Space Weaver" which is in the same vein as "The Human Game" and is a fantastic track.

It makes me think (along with the song titles) that these were left over pieces from the films she has scored and after popping a few new tracks on, Lisa has given us a compilaition of leftovers as opposed to an album.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
Lisa Gerrard is a rare and unique talent, superb. She takes you to places only she has visited, a privilege.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I like Lisa Gerrard, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Silver Tree (MP3 Download)
This CD is unusual in a musical sense, but allows Lisa to shows the wonderful range of her voice. My only reservation is that it might be considered as too unusual by some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Gerrad, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Silver Tree [VINYL] (Vinyl)
It is an angel sound singing, I adore her voice it is like a ritual for me it takes my mind and soul to different places; so lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Gerrard is Fabulous, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
Lisa Gerrad is one half of the duo 'Dead Can Dance', and her fabulously distinctive vocal style adds immensely to the appeal (for me at least) of the duo.
This album, Silver Tree, is part of her solo work, and is a continuation in that same style, with some rich, haunting music and Lisa Gerrards singing combining to make a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars silver tree, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
A stunning collection. I highly recommend this artist's skill. The way the words eminate, flow, transpire - are everrything form sublime and mellow to heady and unreal. This album is seriously a delight to listen to. Just listen ~ all other words fail...

2.0 out of 5 stars The silver screen?, 25 Aug 2007
Once again a soundtrack from Lisa - oh no, wait, this is supposed to be a real solo album. Hmm, could've fooled me.
I've been a Dead Can Dance-fan since they started, and when they split up and Lisa released The Mirror Pool I thought: wow, that's where the talent was all along, especially after hearing Brendan's bleak debut. But alas, you'll find no La Bas or Sanvean here. It's the same ethnic monotony as we've sadly grown accustomed to. The vibrant and melodious nature of DCD and her debut is nowhere to be found here, instead what you get is a loooong droooone of sounds that seem to form a sort of entities you could call songs, sprinkled at random with Lisa's voice.
There are two exceptions: Space Weaver, a Massive Attack-like track where Lisa sings a normal text with a normal voice, and Devotion, where she almost captures the beauty so plentifully found on The Mirror Pool.
However, none of these are particularly strong, and two tracks don't make a right.
Needless to say, this album is a disappointment to me, and I wish she would take a break from her incessant release of soundtracks, because that kind of music production seems to have infiltrated her songwriting, an art we find all too little of on The Silver Tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug 2014
Andra Milsome "ASM" (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Tree (Audio CD)
Use this in my yoga class ...dreamy!

The Silver Tree