5.0 out of 5 stars Same Heavy Blues Formula
Published on 5 July 2009 by Wild Colonial Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars ...UFO done got the blues...
I was as pleased as anyone to see the post-Schenker renaissance of UFO, both live and in the studio. Like many, I had my doubts that they could emerge again as a potent rock force. But off the back of "You Are Here" and some excellent live shows, I was delighted to be proven wrong.

"The Monkey Puzzle" was more of the same, but less so. In retrospect, it was...
Published on 4 Jun. 2009 by Mr. H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Heavy Blues Formula, 5 July 2009
This review is from: The Visitor (Audio CD)
Waited a while and played it to death before I reviewed this album. Yet again UFO certainly don't disappoint me and continue here very much in the "Monkey Puzzle" vein. This is very professional heavy blues-rock at its best. I really love this type of music so it was always going to get a five star rating from me. The vocals and lyrics of Mogg are amazing, he just gets better and better (or more eccentric) with age. The songs are strong and need a few listens, the whole package on first impression sounding very similar to "The Monkey Puzzle" due to the blues formula and recognizable guitar patterns.

The album starts with "Saving Me" a bluesy rocker with nice slide intro that sets the tone and excitement for what's to come. I feel it just doesn't need the hyper-speed solo in the middle, which prevents it from being a top-notch classic. "On the Waterfront" is a nice `n' light traces of west coast tune. I thought I was listening to Steely Dan but for the dulcet distinctive trademark that Mogg stamps on the song.
"Hell Driver" is a more typically guitar driven rocker that you come to expect from UFO with a sizzling lead break to boot. "Stop Breaking Down" is another fab song, nice intro, structure and rhythm sections typical UFO until Vinnie goes into super shred mode at the end of his guitar solo which spoils the feel for me. More slide on "Rock Ready" And the moody "Living Proof" with nice dirty guitar licks. This album has even more blues than Monkey Puzzle. I like "Can't Buy A Thrill", real class, not the raw rocking UfO, the more refined atmospheric ballad styling with nice lyrics and guitar parts. Not so keen on "Forsaken" to me the weakest tune better suited to the Grand Ole Opry. "Villains & Thieves" is a mean sounding bluesy rocker again but what happened to the choice of guitar solo again? This is crying out for something fast and dirty that never arrives. "Stranger in Town" is another good tune that builds and blends together much better, typical UFO.

Shame no Pete Way but as a band they are a lethal cocktail of experience and talent. Mogg is a genius with the most underrated rhythm section in town in Raymond and Parker. Yes Vinnie Moore is a great guitar player who can play real fast but he still lacks refinement. I don't think this is intended to be a guitar virtuoso album so why play twenty-five notes like a whirling dervish when one or two will do?

Overall then a really good listen. Lyrically quirky and brilliant, superb rhythm section and song structure, just tainted here and there by over indulgent guitar work. This is the 20th studio album in a monumental body of work. In my opinion this album is more blues orientated than anything previously released, my only major criticism being that some of the really slick guitar solos don't quite blend with this style. I don't understand how they can record these days with separate musical parts laid down at different studios and later mixed together? Seems like more of a construction project than a rock `n' roll album. There is something lacking, perhaps the live feel, the constant rehearsal, studio togetherness, that improvised magic that makes a song flow? Do ya know what I mean? Does anybody know what I'm on about? Anyway, I fear they will need to pull something more original out of the hat to carry on to album 21. New inspiration from the return of Way and Schenker maybe! Surely it can't happen can it?

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright and clear UFO!, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Visitor (Amazon Exclusive Bonustrack Version) (MP3 Download)
I'm rather surprised at the poor reviews this album is getting from some quarters. I just don't get it! It sounds absolutely fine to me!

Aren't rock fans fickle? One of the main criticisms that I've heard is that it's too bluesy and cliched. But guys...UFO started off doing, amongst other things, blues covers. Bands just can't win - if they stay the same then they're boring; if they change the sound then the fans moan they want more of the same!

For me, when I buy a UFO album, I want it to sound like UFO: the distinctive vocal, the rhythmic guitar riffs and crunching lead solos, the melody. "The Visitor" does all of that: Mogg is in fine voice; Vinnie Moore is in sterling form on the guitar and the rest of the band contribute in fine style. The songs are very good: ok, they might not be up to "lights Out" standard, but that period was rather exceptional.

You cannot complain about buying an album that you enjoy listening to time after time, without fail. I may only have heard "The Visitor" three times but, based on other UFO albums that I have (most of them, past and present), I know that this will be an album that will meet that criterion.

Incidentally, I bought the mp3 download version from Amazon as I was a bit scared the album might not be released (the record company is going bust). On the mp3 purchase, Amazon have included the bonus track that is on the Digipak edition - it's a very good bonus track too, well worth having, so I was pleased I'd downloaded as otherwise I'd probably only bought the standard version of the CD.

UFO fan? - buy it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars ...UFO done got the blues..., 4 Jun. 2009
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

"The Monkey Puzzle" was more of the same, but less so. In retrospect, it was a holding album, more perspiration than inspiration, so there's a lot riding on this one, especially with original bassist, Pete Way, missing in action. Which makes it even odder when this turns out to be UFOs AC/DC album. Yup, UFO done got the blues, and got all boogiefied. Not wholly unfamiliar territory for the band, but not the melodic hard rock they excel at. There are some awful songs here with 'Hell Driver' the worst offender, not helped by some Vinnie Moore solos that often seem to be on the album, but UFO still manage to be pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

So, when it goes right, you remember why UFO remain of the most unsung yet best bands of all time. 'Saving Me' is the best of the blues tunes, 'Stop Breaking Down' is a step back to their mid-tempo melodic grooves and 'Rock Ready' is a fine, slide drenched, audience friendly number. Best of all, though, is the ballad 'Forsaken', something that UFO were always particularly good at. It's a song that also contains the best Phil Mogg vocal of the album, as there are signs of strain elsewhere.

It's a record that tries really hard, but there are at least four tracks here that I'll never play again. But an average UFO album is still a lot better than most lesser mortals, and the songs that do work are definitely worth hearing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doing it Still,PHIL AND CO.and sounding great!!, 30 Jun. 2009
This is probably UFO,s most blues-influenced Album,largely because Phil Mogg has been drawn back into that style,almost sounding almost like Muddy Waters on some of the Tracks.Although this might not be my favorite style these fellows make it work and make it rock.It gets better with every listen.And lets face it.You can't deny that the blues are an essential part of Rock.As for me,I haven't heard every Album yet of UFO,s extensive Catalogue,but as far as Albums since 2000,It's still hard to decide which is the best .

5.0 out of 5 stars UFO - Plenty of Life after 50, 4 July 2010
Alan Russell "Alan" (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Firsly, I have been a UFO fan since mid 70's (showing my age), over the years there have been various line-up's, spats, etc, always managed to keep getting hold of their stuff. Recently, did think the boys had got a bit tired or age was kicking in, well to be fair guy's in the mid 50's probably should be resting at home with their feet up, swigging a nice red and playing with Grand children (blow, that is what I do !!), anyhow, glad Phil, Vinnie, Andy and Paul are not your typical grandfather types !!
To me, I am amazed at some of the reviews here, this album is UFO at near best, and really has thrown the door open again. All the tracks have life and enthusiasm in them. Backbone of Andy and Paul, nicely complimented by Vinnie's licks, and of course the master voice of Honest Hard Rock, Phil Mogg.
Songs: Saving Me is bluesy and grows the more you hear it, has a nice Southern blues feel to it, On the waterfront rocks and has a little Obsessions era about it. Hell Driver no nonsense rock, Stop Breaking Down one of my favourites, clear guitar riffs and a nice lead from Vinnie and Phil showing he still can belt the lyrics out with feeling. Rock Ready starts with a nice bluesy/rock riff parts of the best of No Place to Run era. Living Proof has a haunting guitar with a rock funk riff. Cant buy a Thrill has a contact era feel.. Forsaken lighter moments with a Texas feel in the riff. Villain & Thieves hard rift with keyboards over, mixing a bit dodgy on our system, track bomps along. Stranger in town belts out a rock riff of the classic type. Extra track on Digipak Dancing with St.Peter nice keyboard intro with crisp guitar riff another of my favourite tracks.
Funny thing is, the more you play it the more they stand out, a True test of any album. UFO keep doing it guys, Now were are my slippers and pipe?
Alan - Wellington New Zealand

5.0 out of 5 stars After All These Years!, 17 Aug. 2009
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Visitor (Audio CD)
Well now, the last time I purchased a UFO album I thought that they were becoming a little tired, formulaic and, yep, has to be said, just downright predictable - so I let the years roll by until I was sitting reading reviews of the current album and decided that, well, I really rate Vinnie Moore and as for Phil Mogg's vocalisations being always in the upper levels on my approval scale, I would give the album a whirl - particularly as someone said that "UFO gone done got the blues" - had to be the ticket!
The album duly arrived and went straight into the player......great guitar intro, thundering riff and we're away....or so I thought....but then Mr Moggs voice appeared to be coming from the centre of a rather confined toilet.....really weird...! However, don't let me put you off by suggesting that this album is badly recorded - it most certainly is not, it's just that Mr Mogg would appear to have recorded all of his vocals well away from the rest of the band and therefore has a rather claustrophobic edge to it....but once you get used to it well, the album really rocks with Vinnie knocking out riff after riff and several well honed solos to boot and the band really gell around the material on offer......Missing Michael Shenker? Not a bit of it - I love the guy to bits, but for this bag of songs Mr Moore is the real deal.
Favourite tracks? Well 3 show off what this incarnation of UFO is all about; On The Waterfront / Can't Buy A Thrill / Villains & Thieves, although the rest run them mighty close...a great rocking album that shows that there is truly life in the old dog yet! As for, UFO getting the blues? - well, no, but then you can't have everything, can you?

4.0 out of 5 stars Style change but good listen., 24 Jun. 2009
C. B. Young - See all my reviews
I wasn't too sure what to expect after hearing a few early reviews but although its probably not their heaviest album I found it a quick grower and a very good listen. As you've probably read already it has a few bluesy moments as well as some great vocals and superb riffs. Not as good as 'You are here' but better than 'the Monkey Puzzle', you won't be dissapointed especially compared to a lot of their 80s/90s albums, (except 'walk on water').

4.0 out of 5 stars great ufo album for 2009, 1 Jun. 2010
Edward J. mccarthy Jr. (new york new york) - See all my reviews
great record by ufo for 2009 but as with the last 5 or 6 ufo records over the past 15 years or so i cant say this is as good as anything ufo did in the 70s or 80s, like many classic rock artists of that genre, i think it has come to the point of why do they make new albums anymore????????? when i go see ufo people still basically just want to hear the schenker or tonka stuff live, the new albums are good but these songs only get played live for about 2 years and then its the next album and back to the classics of the 70s and 80s when they play ,live, still this is a great record for 2009, phil still has a great set of pipes and still writes songs almost as good as he did 40 years ago.........

3.0 out of 5 stars great ufo record for 2009, 1 Jun. 2010
Edward J. mccarthy Jr. (new york new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Visitor [VINYL] (Vinyl)
great ufo lp for 2009 but i think phil and co like many other classic artists from the 70s are running on empty a bit when it comes to new materiel, they just dont have the great writing skills they had in the 70s and 80s, still this is a great effort with 4 great sing along songs you wont get out of your head unlike ufo albums of the 70s and 80s where every song was a killer, i cant belive this record came out one year ago already, it is a must for the ufo completest but not for the casual fan, however this is a bit better then monkey puzzle was back in 06.............

5.0 out of 5 stars best in years, 8 July 2009
I have all UFO albums, and they are many. This latest offering is in my opinion their best in years, maybe since Walk on Water. The sound is awesome, especially Vinnie's guitar. And this is a really bluesy rock'n'roll album, with very good songs and the UFO trademark touch, lots having to do with Mogg's voice of course. Really, a very very welcome surprise for me, this is spinning in a loop at home and in the car. Thanks guys!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›