5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive.....
Published on 5 Jun 2006 by Keith Barlow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough
This album is a disapointment, not ecause it is bad as such, but because Katatonia can do so much better. It lacks any of the high points of past albums, it doesn't move you like Tonight's Decision, it doesn't have the hooks of Last Fair Deal and it lacks the innovation of Viva Emptiness. It sounds most like Viva but without any of it's edge, it opens...
Published on 19 Mar 2006 by Fluff

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive....., 5 Jun 2006
Keith Barlow (Purley, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
....there's no real need for me to go into great detail describing this record, for 2 reasons. Firstly, every other reviewer who has described it as "a grower" is absolutely spot on. Im a massive Katatonia fan, and this is their best album by a long, long way (and I love most of their others). The second reason is that you either 'get' Katatonia or you don't. If you love dark, depressing, atmospheric, poetic, soulful music of any kind, regardless of whether you are a metal fan or not, then I guarantee you will love this record.

And for those of you who have bought it and not been overly impressed on the first listen or two, I implore you, give it time, live with the cd for a few days or even weeks, and you'll realise its greatness. Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand the lukewarm response!, 3 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
Before it's release, I THOUGHT that this album would disappoint me. I was sure that it wasn't going to be quite up to scratch. When I got hold of it, however, I was pleasantly surprised. Ok, so it wasn't the greatest thing I had ever heard, but it wasn't hideous. And I thought that I could chalk it up as another solid Katatonia album, on a par with Viva Emptiness, but perhaps not quite up to the standard of :ast Fair Deal Gone Down.
How hopelessly wrong I was...
To my reckoning, this album is the best representation of the term 'grower' I have ever come across. While it might not blow you away initially, the songs gradually begin to filter into your consciousness when you least expect it. They will haunt you day and night, and you will want to do nothing else apart from listen to this record. Every song on it is pure quality, from the first note to the last. Without doubt, hands down katatonia's strongest release so far. Just give it a chance, you WON'T regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New music.., 26 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Great Cold Distance (2 Disc Edition) (Audio CD)
I have only just got into Katatonia and wow - what a discovery.
Listening to this band is like having your very own choir of angels sitting in your front room. Just pure perfection.

Can't say much more as i have only just got into them myself but so far what i've heard is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most underated album this year so far., 22 April 2006
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
Upon its release the latest offering from Katatonia has achieved a bit of a disapointing response. Most reviewers have described it as good but not as good as they expected. Admittadly when I first listened to it this was my initial response as well. The song My Twin I thought was great but I just couldnt get into the rest of the albumn.

However a month down the line I have to say Im still listening to it and now love every single track. As someone else has already pointed out this album really is a 'grower'. I urge anyone into katatonia, Opeth, Paradise Lost and A Perfect Circle to give it a go as after a few listens you will not be able to stop and you certainally wont regret it.

In my opinion its probably Katatonia's best to date now.

5.0 out of 5 stars I heard no warning..., 20 April 2006
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
The guy who said this is the definition of a grower wasn't wrong. Katatonia have never been a band whose records you "get" straight away. They creep up on you, get under your skin, and pollute your already blackened soul with their intensely personal brand of gloom. I didn't even like Last Fair Deal Gone Down for weeks, until I suddenly discovered that actually I loved it. I got this on the day it came out, but deliberatly held off reviewing it for that exact reason...

This is a different beast to the last couple of albums, but no less subtle. The sound is noticably cleaner, and boasts a wonderful production job. I've heard people criticize it for being too sterile, but actually, considering the music on this album, that works in it's favour. The playing is tighter than ever, with a powerhouse performance from Daniel Liljekvist on the drums, and the cold atmosphere almost harks back to the bleakness of Discouraged Ones. Katatonia have stripped back some of the more textural elements from the last two albums, and rediscovered the fact that they are actually a metal band. That's not to say this is any less inventive though. It's still massively original, as "Soils Song" demonstrates, it's just that it's a bit more developed and mature sounding.

Renkse's lyrics are as astonishingly honest as they ever were, and still have that narrative quality in places that was present on Viva Emptiness. In places the vocals convey pure feeling, such as on standout track and single "My Twin". It sends shivers down my spine listening to it.

It seems this record has split opinion somewhat. From where I stand, it's another masterpiece. Those expecting another Viva Emptiness were always going to be dissapointed, but this isn't trying to be. It's different, more technical but more straightforward. I still think Viva has a slight edge, namely more variety, but only just. And just to aggravate the purists, I think it owns LFDGD.

Ultimately it depends on what you like about Katatonia. Personally I love the heavier direction and wicked rhythmic touches on display here. Another class effort from the boys in black. One final point: watch the video for My Twin (accessible from the bands website). Is it just me or is Renkse a dead ringer for Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings movies??

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower. Maybe growing into a classic?, 27 Mar 2006
Knobblytyre (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
Im going to have to disagree with most of the other reviews here, although some aspects of what they say is true, there is a lot more to The Great Cold Distance than this. Firstly the album title is perfect. This is what listening to a great cold distance must sound like.

With this album Katatonia have diverged even further away from their earlier sound, which for me is a welcome treat as i found Viva emptiness to be their let-down album, rather than their masterpiece that poeople hailed it as. It was a little bit boring, too easy, almost becoming ordinary, certainly a step down from the awesome last fair deal. Ghost of the sun being my case in point, dull, awkward, forced melodies. Infinitely skippable at the start of every listen. The Great Cold Distance rectifies this ordinaryness by plunging back into bleakness wholeheartedly. If stark bleakness is one of the characteristics that you appreciate in this band then you should not be disappointed, if you listen, it is here in greater abundance than ever before. This is not an easy album. You cant listen to it once and go away humming, you have to let it get inside you, there are so many subtleties, you hear something new on every listen. All in all it is less melodic and generally more grim than other offerings, but i dont think this is lazyness or lack of planning i think this is another push into making something unique by a greatly tallented band. The Great Cold Distance needs to be listened to, in a quiet place where all the sounds and layers can work their stark magic. The brilliant contrasts between crunching heaviness and almost hidden, gentle beauty, sometimes its the lack of something obvious that makes the songs so brilliant. As far as individual tracks are concerned there are less stand out crackers as most of the album plays on the same level. Its as much that there aren't the weak tracks to make the others stand out as it is a lack of obvious hooks. The first four tracks of the Great Cold Distance is possibly the most solid opening to an album/sequence of tracks of any kind, Katatonia have ever produced. These songs should make you grin, or is that grimace? Whichever makes you happier. This is a brilliant album and it has not left my player since its arrival when it was released, the only reason it doesn't get five stars is because i cant quite rate it as highly as Last fair deal. Who knows, maybe given another couple of weeks to get lost in the darkness, maybe it'll become five stars? It's all there, you just need to listen to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian rock, 11 May 2013
This review is from: The Great Cold Distance (2 Disc Edition) (Audio CD)
I think this is a wery good album from Katatonia.After hearing one of this albums songs on the radio, i bought it, and i am glad i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frigging Amazing....exquisite!, 11 Sep 2012
Jenna dee "evildee84" (Wigan... unfortunately!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Cold Distance (2 Disc Edition) (Audio CD)
This is by far my most favourite album by Katatonia. Super dark, moody and heavy. Totally beautiful and masterful. If you don't have it you must get it. It still blows my socks off now. I get excited to hear the next track. I know, kinda sad really.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Sep 2007
Chris Marsh (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
I just discovered this band and i love them

If you like downtuned, deep and dark rolling groves, spacious arrangements and great singing (no growling) you will love them too.

Strangely peaceful and hypnotic whilst still very brutal at times.

really great. excellent sound too

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen before you judge, 24 Mar 2006
D. Bell "kornpops" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
for people to say this album dont move you, you are so wrong, tracks like: soils song, my twin, rusted, journey through pressure,
relate what ive been threw and fill in life: KATATONIA are always
consistent and achieved Excellence, with in my opion every album they put out. this album should have the credit it deserves, my fav tracks are 1.my twin 2.leaders 3.soils song 4.consternation
5.journey through pressure, but overall every track has brilliance,
every one has a opion and this is mine!

The Great Cold Distance (2 Disc Edition)
The Great Cold Distance (2 Disc Edition) by Katatonia (Audio CD - 2009)