4.0 out of 5 stars Very Capable for Big SLRs with Big Lenses

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made but not spacious
Published on 14 July 2011 by Georgia Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Capable for Big SLRs with Big Lenses, 16 Aug 2009
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When my Nikon D700 with battery pack and Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR proved too long for my faithful old TopLoader 70 AW, I needed something a little larger. The 75 AW was apparently discontinued, so I decided to go for the Pro version of the 75 AW instead. The flap on top of this Toploader opens to the left rather than away from you, which is OK, though I don't see this as a particular advantage to be honest, either opening method is OK. What it does have however, is a snap-lock buckle which can be used to temporarily secure the top flap if you don't want to have to zip it closed every time. This leads me to my only criticism - it's just as well that you don't need to zip it closed every time, as with a D300 or D700 with 70-200mm f2.8 VR attached, it is a fairly snug fit. Only reason why this scores 4 stars for me - as it is advertised as suitable for 70-200mm lenses. 10mm of extra depth would make all the difference.

As well as the 70-200 (with lens hood reversed) you can comfortably fit a Nikon D300 or D700 with 24-70mm f2.8 or 105mm f2.8 Micro both with lens hoods in their extended position, which is very useful. Along with the camera, battery pack and lens, there's enough room in the pockets for a spare battery, memory cards, lens cloth and an SB-600 or SB-800 flash with diffuser attached. The shoulder strap is broad and comforable, and has enough grip not to slide off your shoulder. There are also accessory loops to which you can attach LowePro lens cases, which is very useful if you want to bring along a second lens. I do this quite often, as it makes for a camera bag which is more compact than a single, large item. Given that the D3 and D3X are slightly more compact than a D700 with battery pack attached, I think it's safe to assume that these can also be used successfully with the above lens combinations.

Another reason why I favour this case is that it doesn't scream 'camera bag' so in-between shots, you can quickly drop the camera back in to conceal it from criminal eyes. Ideal for taking out and about when you don't want to stand out as 'the camera man'. I take it more often than any of my other myriad camera bags. All in all very well made, secure, protective containment for your expensive pro gear. It might seem comparatively expensive for a small case, but its build quality justifies it. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case for camera and a few bits and bobs, 7 Nov 2011
Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW for Pro DSLR is what I use for my Canon Eos 7D, with its 17-40mm lens.
Its a great fit, quite snug, but plenty of room.
There is a pocket on the top which you can use for say spare batteries (1 for the camera, 4 x AA for the flash).
At the side there is another pocket, which you can use for lens caps, filters, memory cards etc.
The case has enough padding to provide sensible amounts of protection for the camera, and its accessories.
You can also fit in one extra reasonably sized accessory, although it may be a fairly tight squeeze, such as a big(ish) flash unit or a lens hood. There is a padded partition which can be moved inside the case to hold the camera and the accessories, this partition is adjustable and held on by velcro tabs at either end.
The strap is wide enough to be comfortable even for quite long periods with a semi-pro DSLR.
There is another smaller / thinner strap, which I assume is for waistband, which I have not used.
And there is also a built in waterproof cover which stows into a packet at the bottom of the case - very re-assuring if you're out for a longer walk / period of time in changeable weather conditions.
All in all, a great case for walking about with.
For a camera slightly smaller than a Eos 7D, then you would have a bit more space in the bag, which would be quicker / easier for using on the go. A bit bigger than the 7D and you would probably have a great case for the camera, and a medium sized lens, but not for any sizeable accessories. With a smaller / prime lens, even with a big camera, then you would have enough space for a medium size flash gun or similar extra item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made but not spacious, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW for Toploading Camera Bag for DSLR Camera (Electronics)
The Toploader is well made as with all Lowepro products. However I didn't find it very roomy, the 'curved' camera hugging shape inside makes it impossible to put a camera in with a lens hood, even a collapsable one. The pockets which are meant to be able to hold accessories and personal items simply aren't big enough. I've got a polariser in the top and that's a tight squeeze and a couple of graduated filters in the front pocket with a Cokin filter holder just about crammed in. It comes with a three way strap (fiddly to attach) which wraps around the body to take some of the weight off your shoulders - it worked fine for a while then the strap started to work loose and was less effective. I think this bag would be ok for short trips, it protects the camera well, but for a long day out walking a camera/rucksack would probably be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Information for EOS 7D owners, 27 Dec 2010
David Wilson (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
In the main compartment: Canon 7D + (attached) Battery Grip + 15-85mm + lens hood (reverse attached)

In the top and side pockets I have:

spare battery
remote cable release RC-6
x3 square pro filters
72mm polarizing filter (in it's case)
Compass

And there is room to spare for a selection of other small oddments including more filters, battery, wallet, keys.

Its a nice fit, it feels very secure and protective of the equipment. To use it's very comfortable to carry and highly practical. City and touring/walking photography is its best use. Good quality and well designed for ease of access and comfort. I now keep the camera in it at all times.

Additional features already described by other reviewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 600D Users, 16 Jan 2012
For canon 600D users with battery grip you will find this bags fits perfect with the kit lens 18-55 attached. I also tried my 55-250mm lens and this is also a good (but snug) fit. Any bigger than that i.e. 70-300mm lens would require the next size up. I will be wanting to upgrade to the 15-85mm lens soon which is bigger in diameter than my standard kit lens, but I understand from other reviewers this will be ok. However, the fit is already pretty tight around my kit lens which is much smaller in diameter so hopefully won't be too tight around the new lens when I upgrade!

The bag itself, very well made, hangs nice on your body, feels a little weird when you pull it to the front to remove the camera as it hangs off balance on your body. I did end up lowering the removable padding to make the camera sit lower in the bag as it felt a little exposed sat at the top when the bag lid was unzipped and opened, this feels more secure now when the bag is open and hanging on your body.

Lots of useful pockets but they are not as big as I expected (in terms of depth) and the material is pretty tight so not sure how much extra you can fit. You certainly cannot fit a flash gun or battery grip cassette (6 x AA's) etc so avoid this bag if you were expecting to also carry this type of gear.
For me I just wanted a simple small bag that held the camera with batter grip. Most bags don't allow for the almost square footprint you get with a battery grip, but this is perfect for such a combination.

Finally great delivery and very quick turned up next day even though I ordered on the standard free delivery option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag for Enthusiast Size SLR + Big Lens, 16 Feb 2010
This bag is perfect for my Nikon D80 with a Sigma 50-150mm lens attached including the hood (fitted for use rather than in the reversed storage position). It's fantastic to be able to carry the camera like this as it can save the time to attach the hood which could result in a photo being missed.

I have several other camera bags of smaller size and this is a similar standard but has a more hardwearing, heavyweight feel to it which makes it suitable for serious photographers.

I've not tested the waterproof outer, although I have looked at it and I'm not sure you'd be able to put it on very quickly without a bit of practise. Still, it's a useful feature to have.

The bag has plenty of pockets for lots of other accessories, but not another lens in addition to a 70-200/50-150mm size lens unless you really squeezed it in. You need a bigger or different type of bag if you want to carry several lenses though.
Having said that, there are a couple of moveable velcro dividers inside the bag so if you wanted to use it for a camera with a smaller lens attached, you could probably fit another lens in the bottom.

All in all really pleased with this bag - perfect for what I wanted, which is a convenient bag to travel/walk around with and have my camera + medium telephoto zoom ready for action at all times.

UPDATE: This bag also fits a D300 + grip and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR with hood reversed for storage.

Excellent customer service - I recently lost the strap that goes around your waist, but contacted the UK Lowepro distributer and they sent me a new strap within 24hours for free!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for a pro or body with a grip, 16 Dec 2012
Mr Strathmore (East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I use this with a 7D that is fitted with a grip. The fit is nice and snug at the top of the case and it takes a 24-105mm f4 lens. It would be better if there were slip locks on both sides but one of these is sacrificed for an elasticated pocket.

The shoulder strap is a nice size and the additional strap that wraps around your waist keeps the case from flopping around when you move.

The real design win is the ability to open the main part of the case without unzipping the top every time. A push-clip keeps the case closed but allows fast access to the camera when needed. Also, access is maintained when the rain cover is in place but you should have plenty of practise getting this on and off as it isn't easy to work out if the rain is falling and you've never tried it before...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Top Loader Camera Holster, 7 Oct 2010
Mr. R. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
This Lowepro Top Loader Pro 75AW Camera Holster allows me to carry my Nikon D700 with the MB10 Battery Grip and a 24-70mm F2.8 Lens attached and with the Lens Hood attached in the shooting mode, which means that I can withdraw the camera and get my shot without having to turn the Lens Hood around.
The Holster is well made, it provides quite a lot of protection to the camera, it also has quite a few extra storage pockets in which you can carry Filters, Lens brush, Cleaning Cloths, Media Cards etc, I am also able to put my Camera Strap into the Holster and it is a heavy OPTECH USA padded strap.
I am pleased with the Holster and can recommend it, it is not cheap but it does the job very well for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, 30 May 2010
J. R. Fryatt (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I am suing this bag for my Canon EOS 5D mkII, with battery grip, and 70-200mm f/4 lens, and this kit fits in very nicely. The build quality is very good and it offers great protection for the kit inside. The extra pockets are handy for other bits and pieces, and the front pocket looks like it should hold a flash gun (although I don't have one at present). I like the assymetric opening, which makes it easier to get your hand in and take out the camera. This does mean you can only have one add-on pouch or lens case (compared to the older Top-loaders) but this is fine as two cases added on would make the whole thing to big and unwieldy and at that stage I'd probably go for a big camera bag instead.
The only criticism I might make is that the lid, unlike other and older Lowepro Top Loaders, does not overlap the body, so there is a little bit less protection fron wind-driven rain etc. going through the zip. In practice I don't think this matters though, certainly not to me as I am not an extreme conditions photog. ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars This Bag is for One Camera and One Lens; Don't let the marketing material tell you otherwise!, 8 July 2013
For starters lets get these points out of the way: This bag is well made, strong, comfortable and modularly flexible; what a keen, or professional photographer should expect.

I am an enthusiastic photographer; I have bought a lot of gear in the last 6 years since going digital, that has enabled me to do much since my days of 35mm. The compulsion however to carry around most of my lenses and other paraphernalia (hopefully in a bid to use them all) has been a strong one, even on the shortest of outings. This has lead me to understand what physical fatigue is about, after having all that weight on my shoulders (and sometimes shoulder).

My motive to buy this bag was to downsize for short outings and where a lot of walking around would be involved. After not using a top-loader/ holster bag since the days of my EOS 300 film camera, the experience so far has been a revelation; so free to move! Right enough about the 'back' story!

This specific type of bag is a rare one (and expensive as a result), given that it can accommodate a professional body (or battery gripped one), with an attached standard zoom. In my particular case I have got a gripped EOS 40D with a EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 with it lens hood reversed, plus my folded camera strap. And that's all it can accommodate on the inside; do not believe written or video claims that other equipment can be housed inside the main compartment (particularly a medium sized flashgun). I removed both of the Velcro dividing inserts to open up the bag for my lens + large petal hood, which makes me question whether this bag has the same internal dimensions as advertised.

The pockets front, side and top are useful for polarizers, cloths, batteries, trigger releases, pens and a mobile phone, which is what I expected from them; not am Aladdin's cave. It's got a 'sliplok' loop too, for attaching other small bags such as a lens or flashgun case, which in the case of the latter I may have to buy! Would have liked to have had two loops; one for a fast prime, one for a flash. However, that is verging on a much larger bag than the Toploader Pro started out on, and in that instance, where I feel I need TO carry more accessories I should swap bags.

The Toploader Pro is also equipped with an All Weather cover which stows away in a concealed side pocket(side away when looking at the photo). When stored this cover sure does fill out its pocket; so much in fact that it starts to displace its mass into the main compartment. This again makes me question whether the dimensions of the materials used are short, causing the bag to be smaller than intended and it contents restricted within as a result. In closing on this feature, I would have fitted the All Weather cover on the rear of bag where it is wider, with access at the top, not the bottom.

Be in no doubt this is a well made bag for those who prefer gripped bodies! Just don't let yourself be taken in by the descriptions that Lowepro provide. This bag is for ONE CAMERA, ONE LENS, with the ability for expansion to ONE other piece of equipment.