5.0 out of 5 stars Vangaurd Spirit ED 10x42 Review
Published on 12 Nov. 2012 by Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially very pleased with these binoculars - very clear and sharp
Initially very pleased with these binoculars - very clear and sharp. However after about 2 weeks moderate usage I began to get some double images and noticed that a rattling inside ?? the prisms. I am worried that these binoculars may be defective.
Published 10 months ago by patrick grattan

5.0 out of 5 stars Vangaurd Spirit ED 10x42 Review, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I have recently purchased a set of Vangaurd Spirit ED 10x42 Binoculars to replace my old set which I have had for many years and were not great quality but did not cost that much. I had purchased a set of Nikon Binoculars from Argos ( £99.00) and was very disapointed with them. I took them back to Argos and got a full refund with no problems. This made me think that I needed to pay more for a quality set and as I will probably have them for the rest of my life I decieded that I would do my deep research project and see what was available in the marketplace. So on to Google to do the research and see what was available.

Found a very interesting website called Best Binoculars and Binoculars Review website and they provide a very comprehensive review of all that is available and with quailty reviews of what is out there and believe me there is a lot and very difficult to make a choice. However I was drawn to the review on the website that the Vanguard Spirit ED 10x42 were the set that I should purchase. Recommended best buy for 2011. So sent away for them throught Amazon and alougth thy were out of stock I decieded to wait for them. A week later they arrived and WoW what a fantastic piece of engineering. Very high quality, easy to use and comes with flip down cups to protect the Hight Quality Optics. A Quality case and strap is included and they dont weigh much like some of the others available.

So what is the quality like, Well I have to say that I was more than impressed with the quality of the optics. Looking through the lenses was like 3D and 10 Times better than the Nikon ones that I had tried. So much detail was available and I was taken aback with the overall quality and detail. In essesence I was very pleased with them and would highly recomend these to anyone who is thinking of buying new or replacing an old set that they have been using for years like I had been doing.

Amazon was the cheapest place to buy them and also Vanguard were offering a £40.00 cashback after purching by sending the voucher that is available on their website. So A quailty set of Optics at £234.23 on Amazon and got a cheque for £40.00 back from Vanguard was simply the best buy that I have had for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanguard Spirit ED 10x42 Binoculars, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I bought these binoculars through Amazon.co.uk after reading great reviews on Binocular sites about them I was not dissapionted by their performance absolutely crystal clear views, pin sharp focus, vivid colurs really crisp almost 3D like, and SO BRIGHT.. all this with solid build quality. The binoculars are waterproof/fogproof they are phase corrected, have an emerald coating, a V-max silver coating, and an anti reflection coating, the prisms and optics use ED glass for extra low light dispersion.. all the features usually only seen in top class £600-£1000+ binoculars these Vanguard Spirit ED 10x42 binoculars are superb and can compete with Leica, Swarovski,Zeiss for a quarter of their prices. All this for way under £300, You just can't get a better pair of roof prism binoculars at this price well done Binoculars-UK. By the way did I mention how light they are 640g and that they come with a nice bag and excellent neck strap. These really are excellent binoculars with 16mm of eye relief and twist up eye cups all made with quality soft rubber, smooth precise focus and good field of view. In testing these along side my trusty Carl Zeiss 8x30 jenoptems the Vanguards blew them away for clarity, colour, brightness. They even out performed my Swift Audubons ED. 8.5x44..which are great.. I could see no colour fringing or other lens problems you get with all binoculars. To sum up if you want 10x magnification, light weight, top quality, all the coatings and ED glass get on to Amazon or if your near Blackpool go see Richard at Binoculars-UK now for a great deal. I am in no way affiliated or reviewing the above binoculars for any company or website this is my own honest/personal review of the Vanguard Binoculars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Bins!, 18 Aug. 2013
tone1428 "Tone" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
have been a keen birder for 5 years or more now and have had 4 or 5 different pairs of binoculars none of which has cost me more than £55.Which just goes to show that you get what you pay for, as my last pair which were Olympus 8-16 x 40 - zoom binoculars which were a perfectly serviceable pair of cheap bins which I really thought were top class...and they were fine, but compared with these Vanguards they really weren't that good.
The VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars are really top class, giving a bright crisp view. Apparently (according to an independent review) in their price bracket they out perform much more expensive bins and were voted Best Value for Money binoculars 2011. That must surely be a great recommendation for starters.
They come with a really nice padded bag and a very smart shoulder/neck strap, both front and rear lens caps all of which can be fixed to the bins or straps which should make them difficult to lose. They are extremely easy to set up for your specific eyesight, they have wind out cups for the non spectacled wearer too. The focus wheel is designed to only rotate through three quarters of a turn so focussing is a pretty fast and easy affair.
The bins are 100% waterproof to a depth of one metre underwater so the odd downpour isn't going to hurt them at all, they are encased in a pretty rugged looking plastic which I guess will take the odd hard knock or two. The bins also have a tripod adaptor screw point.
On the con side I have noticed that in strong sunlight, and only when I scanned from side to side there appeared a purple halo round the birds I was looking at, when I stopped scanning it was fine, apparently this is called a Chromatic aberration and the special ED glass the lenses are made of is supposed to prevent this! The only other con I can find is that I was surprised by their weight, though they are a little lighter than my old Olympus bins.
I almost forgot that they have a limited lifetime guarantee too
Are they worth £200 ish? Yeah I reckon they are worth the expense.
EDIT 21/11/2014
After a holiday in Fuerteventura,we noticed that the optics had a halo around the outside of the image which no amount of cleaning could disperse,this always looked pretty bad particularly in bright sunshine, we tried shading the bins and that didn't work either.Eventually after putting up with this issue for a fair while, I found the contact details for the UK branch of Vanguard and via e mail chatted with a young man called Kris in their Customer Services Department.He was most helpful and agreed that if I returned the defective bins (which I did) he would replace them with new ones.The new bins arrived this morning and are perfect!
I am a retired Manager of a Tourist Information Centre and I recognise outstanding customer service when I receive it, and am always happy to applaud such terrific service!
Take a bow Kris for your excellent service, and thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 July 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
Product was sent quickly and the quality is amazing and easily outperforms binoculars that are far more expensive. For a quality all round binocular I believe these cannot be bettered. Optical quality is superb and they are lighter than the more expensive competition. I would highly recommend these.

5.0 out of 5 stars years of cheaper binoculars have now ended, 15 May 2014
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I absolutely regret not biting the bullet at an earlier time as these are so easy and accurate to use. I have only used them for three days but what a difference in viewing. They are going to be used in very demanding circumstances so I will update at some point, but already I can see that they are built to withstand the daily handling that outdoor activities demand. My only gripe is the carry case does not have enough thought, ie, no internal small pouch for the cleaning cloth and another zip pulley so it can be closed from both sides thus leaving the straps sticking out at the most central point, but this is superficial and we shall stitch the pocket in ourselves and the zip, if it goes, we will replace with a double pulley version.
***UPDATE*** 18 sept 2014
These have been used in all weathers, but some label and cover became detached from the item and lost. I contacted the manufacturer direct but was unable to get replacements so contacted amazon and they are sending a new pair. These are fine items but the finishing for this price should really be better. They have otherwise been faultless especially in the Pyrenees in mist and damp weather as the lens always stay perfectly clear, which in turn means you do not spend all your time clearing them to see which in turn can cause scratching on the lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanguard Spirit ED1042, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I read the reviews and decided these were the most appropriate binoculars for mixed use - close up bird watching, distant animal sightings etc.. I was concerned that the X10 magnification might make them too difficult to hold steady but am so far delighted with the purchase. Delivery was fast and efficient. Purchased from Amazon shipped by Foto-koester

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, 23 Sept. 2013
Mr B (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These binoculars are beautifully made and look like military grade quality. With the attached lens cap protectors and the durable metal and rubberised finished they won't look too shabby after a few years of use.

They come in a hard-wearing black nylon shoulder case which, although not cheap looking, belies the high-end nature of these binoculars. Probably a good thing because you don't want to draw too much attention to valuables.

I remember that my father's binoculars used to be treated like a holy relic and, as a small boy, my use of them would have to be carefully monitored. I've got no such worries about these Vanguard binoculars because they are so rugged. As a family with two children aged 10 and 14, it has added a new dimension of enjoyment on walks to be able to observe birds at a distance without disturbing them. I should have bought a pair years ago but the good ones were always expensive. These were a gift from Amazon which I have been allowed to keep. Thank you - very kind.

I'm no expert but as an 'ordinary' person I can't see how these binoculars could be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I was looking for a mid range pair of binoculars, with good field of view and sharp magnification. These fit the bill perfectly. Not too heavy, excellent feel to them, easy to adjust, good carry case. I would recommend for anyone with a limited budget, who wants quality without paying the earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardy, high quality binoculars, 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I'm not an expert on binoculars and I purchased these for a safari in Namibia. They're rugged and the view is bright even in low light. They claim to be waterproof too, and come with a comfortable nylon case. I'm happily satisfied with them and I'm happy to recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended Mid Priced Binoculars, 24 Sept. 2014
Woodsie (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars (Electronics)
I recently bought through Amazon a pair of Vanguard Spirit 10x42 binoculars to replace a pair I have owned for some year. I thoroughly researched what was available in the market place and would have liked a pair of Swarovski 10x42 but for the use they would get I could not justify the price notwithstanding that they are well worth it. I then came across an excellent site www.bestbinocularsreviews.com which together with other reviews and after much study narrowed my search down to two products both by Vanguard being the Spirit and Endeavor series which for their price came close to the Swarovski specifications. I finally settled on the Spirit purely because I liked the design and discovered that the item available through Amazon for the Endeavour was now being marketed with uprated optics but at a higher price.
The Spirit binoculars arrived and I was not disappointed, the optics being so clear with sharp focus and stunning colours. The rapid focus is a delight to use and the neck strap is as comfortable as the bought separately strap on my DSLR. Not only were these binoculars excellent value but I was able to obtain a £40 cash back from the importers Vanguard.

VANGUARD Spirit ED 1042 Binoculars