5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!!!!
The Very Best of Thunder....Danny Bowes was one of the best hard rock singers Britain has ever produced. Luke Morley was the new Mick Ralphs in waiting. Thunder were huge in Britain and were growing in Europe. What happened???.

Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Tommo 18/7

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding hard rock anyone?
This 3-CD compilation has most of the songs on the studio albums Thunder made for EMI, some songs from their "indie" career after that, some B-sides and a whole CD of live tracks, mainly from 1990 shows. While there is no doubt this is an honest and genuine trawl through their career, the problem is that the songs and tunes are not that good in the first place. The studio...
Published on 22 Jan 2011 by Stan FREDO

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!!!!, 20 Oct 2009

It's ironic that along with the band, EMI have released this incredible boxset. For it was EMI who broke and dropped Thunder, by means of a " contract extension" that was totally unworkable. Thunder's rightful place as one of the biggest British hard rock bands on the planet, alongside Def Leppard and Iron Maiden was not to be.

Thunder had built a staggering reputation in the UK & Europe, with a string of hit singles, an excellent live act, TWO Donnington appearances and three top-draw studio albums. They were sent to conquer the U.S 18 months too late and by then Grunge had taken over the U.S airwaves and hard rock and hair metal was considered redundant. The tour was subsequently canceled, no one would touch them with an excremented twig. Thunder returned to the U.K to find the terms of a contract extension by EMI totally unworkable. Without the big label backing, the game was up.....

Disc One has the best of the brilliant first two albums " Back Street Symphony" & " Laughing On Judgment Day". " She's So Fine" " Higher Ground", " Dirty Love", " Gimme Some Lovin'", " Like A Satellite", " Everybody Wants Her", " Low Life In High Places" & " A Better Man" to name a few are remastered, louder and sound as classic & inspiring today as they did years ago. Former producer, Andy Taylor duets on a cover of the Faces classic " Stay With Me" which is top draw.

Disc Two has the best of " Behind Closed Doors" and a stack of quality B sides. " River Of Pain" is stunning, " Castles In The Sand" & " Til The River Runs Dry" are superb. Thunder have large echoes of the legendary Bad Company about them and that is no mean feat. Excellent covers of the Stones " Gimme Shelter & " Python Lee Jackson's " In A Broken Dream" are also on here, as is the soul searching " Loser". The last real hit, " I Love You More Than Rock 'N' Roll" makes an appearance. Four tracks after their EMI heyday appear on this disc.

Disc Three has the entire Live at Donnington 1990 set and it is a classic piece of hard rock history. " Back Street Symphony" is British Hard Rock at it's finest. " Dirty Love" & " Fired Up" are timeless. " Don't Wait For Me" is just class. " Love Worth Dying For" & the excellent " Just Another Suicide" are the non EMI releases on this disc. There are excellent live covers of The Who classic, " 5.15" and the Mott The Hoople standard, " All The Way From Memphis". " Another Shot Of Love", from the 1989 UK tour is the perfect way to end things.

This is one brilliant document of one of the greatest hard rock bands that Britain has ever had.

The sickening thing is that today, Thunder should be a household name, selling out stadiums across the world, being talked about in the same breath as Bad Company & Free.

Plain Tragic!!!

AAAAAAAAAA++++++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated band in the UK, 12 April 2009
When Thunder hit the scene in 1989 with their debut album, Backstreet Symphony, the majority of the band were seasoned musicians having been in Terraplane beforehand. I bought the first album and was a fan but I never made it to a gig until '94. Having notched up in excess of 30 Thunder gigs, and having practically everything they've released, I will miss them when they hang up their boots later this year.
Danny Bowes is one the best rock singers around - still - and he is up there with the all time greats. Luke Morley, the main and almost sole songwriter, is a real talent and someone who has not had the recognition he deserves. The band is certainly recognised by their loyal following and have sold enough shows and enough albums to keep going on their own, for a few years at least. Thunder have been regularly selling out venues of a couple of thousand for years. However, this will be the 20 years and out tour and they are going out on a high.
This compilation has all that you require - the best of the EMI material (the first three albums) plus the added bonus of the Donington recording. This is mainly their early songs, with only a few songs from their fourth album and beyond. That is no real surprise as it is EMI who are releasing it. However, there are a few from their later material but unfortunately it is only a taster. In my opinion, the last three albums (Magnificent Seventh, Robert Johnson's Tombstone and Bang) stand up there with Backstreet and Laughing. Check out the other albums on []
At this price, it is a must have... an absolute bargain and there are more than a handful of songs which any fan of good old classic rock would enjoy on this compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only Thunder, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of Thunder [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I have been a fan of Thunder since I walked into a record store many years ago and they were playing a unknown track to me, then another followed. By the 3rd song I was hooked and I had to ask the assistant who it was, it's the debut album by a band called Thunder was the reply. So I bought the album there and then. Further albums followed, which I added to my collection. So why buy this set ? I bought the download version so to put on my mp3 player etc. The price of the download is 1/2 the price of say, a Robbie Williams album but you get 3 disc' worth, 44 tracks and music that's a 1000 times better. Why they never became one of the biggest bands in the world I will never know. I think it was a case of being in the right place at the wrong time. By the time Thunder arrived this type of rock was on the way out unfortunately and then we were exposed sadly to the the continuing era of 'boy bands'. I think Thunder were up there with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden (I actually prefer Thunder). They had better crafted songs and a better singer than Def Leppard. This 3 disc set gives you the highlights and some wonderful live recordings on disc 3. Talking of which what a live band they are and still doing it. In Danny Bowes you have on of the best British rock singers ever and a great front man. For there sakes I wished they could of become more successful , but at least they gave us some great music. So buy this collection now, plug in your air guitar and turn off X-factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 3-Disc Thunder sensation of Hard Rock!, 4 July 2013
A great collection of Thunder hits, rates etc. I have them all apart from a few live tracks on it, but I had to buy this.

I've been a fan since summer 1990, this very underrated Hard Rock band who I believed were better than Jovi in their day, should have broke America (thanks Grunge, boo!)

The only song that I would have added to this collection would be It Happened In This Town, one of my all time faves Thunder songs. But that just me.

Worth every penny. Buy it if you like your rock music!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great GOODBYE to a SUPERB BAND, 12 April 2009
Helen Sanders ""I am not over weight, I a... (Chichester, England) - See all my reviews
I have been a Thunder fan since their very first album.

This CD has got all there CLASSIC songs on plus their new stuff.

I had a tear in my eye the day I heard they were calling it a day or 'retiring' the band. They will always be one of the best bands this country as ever produced without getting the recognition and acknowledgment, in which they deserved.

LONG LIVE THUNDER!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Thunder compilation to date, 14 Oct 2010
At less than a fiver at the time of writing, buying this 3 CD collection is a real no-brainer if you want a Best Of from one of the UK's finest rock bands of the last 20 years.

Better than the Gimme Some... and Finest Hour... Thunder compilations for about the same price, in fact I bought this as an upgrade to Gimme Some... and I'm not disappointed.

You get 32 studio tracks spanning the entire Thunder career and a live CD that includes their breakthrough Donington set from 1990, all in great remastered sound.

If you don't want to fork out on the entire Thunder back catalogue and are looking for one CD (well, 3 in this case) that has it all, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars What have I been missing... ?, 10 April 2014
I only bought the CD as I was going to the Mott the Hoople gig at the O2 2013 and Thunder were on the bill.

What can I say - superb album with some great tracks and brilliant covers - excellent vocals.

Mott live, were a very poor 2nd to this lot....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Nov 2013
Seen Thunder a number of times live and got many of their CD's but its great to have them all in one place

Danny Bowes is one of my favourite singers of all time - the man has a fantastic vocal range and boy, can he give it some welly.

I think they are one of the most under rated rock bands - just fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars took me back, 15 Sep 2013
Took me back through time when you could party at Donnington for a weekend and it only cost a Tenner, when the sky was filled with plastic bottles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damned good!, 19 July 2013
After recently seeing them live at the O2,and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, I thought I'd buy their 'Best Of', album. This 3 CD set didn't disappoint. I could ramble on about this or that production of a track, but all I need to say is that if you like Thunder, or want to get into them , buy this! One CD is a collection of live tracks and this is my favorite.I took it to Crete with me on holiday and never grew tired of it, (although the Russians next door might have).