5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and easy to fit
I've always used Jemp vents in the past, but got fed up with having to replace them when they got "tired" and stopped opening properly. So rather than buying a fourth, or even replacing the actuator tube, I looked for alternatives.

Bayliss had good reviews and a good price, so that's what I ordered.

The product came quickly from "The Gardeners...
Published on 15 Oct 2011 by EricB

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, works well but design flaw.
Published on 29 Sep 2011 by Richard Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and easy to fit, 15 Oct 2011
EricB "Eric" (Winchester, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)

Bayliss had good reviews and a good price, so that's what I ordered.

The product came quickly from "The Gardeners Friend", and was in good condition. It was easy to fit, and opens wider and more quickly than I remember the Jemp-vent working even when new. My only regret is not buying two.

I'd drilled two holes for the Jemp-vent, but the spacing of bolts on the Bayliss is slightly different, so I had the choice of drilling another hole in the aluminium frame or relying on the clamping action of the Bayliss. In the event, I drilled the hole, but probably need not have bothered.

Adjustment is very simple, and the unit does not stick far into the greenhouse, so there's virtually no risk of banging your head on it -- I can't say the same for the prop supplied with the greenhouse, which is why it would have been nice to put a Bayliss on the window that's usually propped open.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 27 May 2010
J. Martin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I bought two of these for my aluminium & polycarbonate greenhouse and am very pleased with them. They're not particularly easy to fit, but if you take your time and do it properly, tightening up the screws in the correct position, the vents work perfectly. Bayliss included a note in the box saying the clamps had been changed for stronger steel ones, and with the screws done up tight, they don't come off.

You simply adjust the thumbscrew to determine at what temperature your vent opens, so with a bit of trial and error you'll work it out. Compared to manual vents, these are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect auto window opener, 20 April 2010
Mr. J. Richards (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Our first greenhouse and first auto opener, worked perfectly.
When fixing to aluminium, it does need the screws to be very tight, but not had a problem since tightening the clamps/screws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bayliss XL Autovent for greenhouses., 4 Jun 2011
Amazon Customer (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I bought the Bayliss XL Autovent Opener to replace a more expensive unit which failed after a few months. I have had no problem fitting it or with it falling off afterwards. It is useful to put the device in the fridge for a while though to ensure it is in the fully closed position before fitting. Fitting and removal takes less than five minutes using a cross head screwdriver.
This vent opener does exactly what it's supposed to do and keeps the plants in my 6'x 8' greenhouse safe and healthy on hot days.
One thing to note is that it didn't work brilliantly after I left it fitted through last Winter which was particularly cold for long periods. In future I will remove the unit before Winter sets in. I ended up buying a replacement wax cylinder from Bayliss themselves for £14 and they said they would service my old cylinder which I will keep as spare. I couldn't fault their knowledge or service.
Altogether I would say that the Bayliss XL Autovent is a cost effective, high quality, efficient solution and I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at a good price., 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Judging by the other reviews it appears that they have now improved the fixings as they are slightly different than described in the instructions but, more importantly, they seem to work fine. They are a bit fiddly and you do need to get them tight but they seem to hold well. The opener is very responsive to temperature changes and opens nice and wide so good product for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars bayliss auto vent, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
best thing since sliced bread easy to fit and works a treat best to fit clamps before putting in the fridge then it just slides into place tighten 4 screws and the job is done.
Will buy another in the spring

5.0 out of 5 stars Vent, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Arrived on time and was fitted easily within an hour of delivery. Nice to see the manufacturer reduced the price to compensate for the deliver charge. I was not expecting that. Cheaper than in the shops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bayliss XL Auto vent opener, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I am pleased that the product is working well in that durinbg this hot spell it opens at about 20 deg.C.and closes at just below that temperature. I would be happier If I could choose a higher setting of say 25 deg.C. but have not yet discovered how I can achieve this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gizmo., 1 April 2013
L. C. Ward - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
After reading the reviews on this, i decided i would get one. I would gladly recommend to others now, a really great bit of kit.
However, i had to trim down the foot which attaches to my vent on an aluminium greenhouse after trying to fit it twice using the different holes in the feet. They just would not sit right as the vent bar is quite narrow, anyway, i trimmed off 6mm and then it fitted perfectly. Not for the DIY shy. Just waiting for some warmer weater now :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, works well but design flaw., 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Fitted this to my Billy Oh Aluminium Greenhouse but the fittings are really intended for a greenhouse with wider frame (see picture of item). I got round it by connecting the bracket to the window stay that came with the original fastener. For those who have a Billy oh, remove the arm and one of the stays, attach the stay to the window (where the arm came from), then clamp the Bayliss XL to the spike of the stay.
Now for the design fault.
When its hot the opener is brilliant - it opens the window wide. BUT it cools the opener retracts but the body of it swings down and falls about 8" below the window making it very easy to hit your head on it - especially on a small greenhouse.
I have seen a B&Q opener in action and it seems to work in a less obtrusive way.

Bayliss XL Auto Vent Opener