‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars POP REGGAE AT ITS BEST, 16 May 2003
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
Johnny Nash had a slew of hits during the 1970s with his reggae ditties that often made the top 10 on both sides of the Atlantic. They’re all still very enjoyable and some, like I Can See Clearly Now, have been much covered by other artists. My favourites include There Are More Questions Than Answers, Reggae On Broadway, Guava Jelly, Stir It Up and Tears On My Pillow. Oh and Halfway To Paradise with a reggae rhythm is a slab of sonic ecstasy. The melodies are really gripping and most of the songs have a type of hypnotic effect on the listener. Nash’s sound reminds me a bit of Desmond Dekker, although it is more slick and polished and about as far away from roots reggae as you can get, barring Boney M’s reggae excursions. Still very original, very catchy and highly enjoyable after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Nov 2005
Mr. Robert Stewart (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
Don’t hesitate, these are the original recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic tracks from Johnny Nash - good CD, 27 May 2007
E. Swan (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
Good selection of tracks, and good sound.
Only downside- cd cover has no history, or lyrics. You can go to YouTube.com to see videos of Johnny singing "I can see clearly now" plus a good cover by Jimmy Cliff in the '80s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reggae at it's commercial best, 17 April 2010
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
This is the late sixties/early seventies guy-that would have you moving to the mid- reggae movement...classic recordings and real nice Gent!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy days, 28 Feb 2010
T. T. Taylor "Scarletterry" (Llanelli wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
Had a Johnny Nash album on an LP over 20 years ago,all the songs on that one are on this cd, so happy days !

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Reggae from one of the very best!!!, 9 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
I grew up on these tracks as my parents are huge fans!! I instantly became a huge fan too because these hits are irresistable!! Although it's very difficult to choose my favourites as I love sooo many of them, I would have to say songs like 'Tears on my pillow', 'I can see clearly now', 'Stir it up' and 'There are more questions than answers' come straight to mind. Definately a must for the collection!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A top notch album, 6 Nov 2010
Mrs. M. Walsh "Maw." (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
This is a great cd by Johnny Nash, that is around today in many guises on cd, and there is not a bad track on it. It has all his own hit songs on it, but if you like Sam Cooke you we will be amazed at Johnny Nash's covers of "A Wonderful World" and "Cupid". He also covers other songs such as "Dream Lover" "All I have to do is Dream" and the Billy Fury song "Halfway to Paradise" and he performs all of these songs brilliantly with a little reggae like lilt, that are a joy to listen to, he really deserves to be better known, and if you are new to Johnny Nash I really recommend that you give this cd a listen to and you will be pleasantly surprised at just how good he is. This cd is still about in various "Hits" packages and for a modest outlay of a few pounds you cannot go wrong with this purchase, trust me and try this cd out. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".

4.0 out of 5 stars If Sam Cooke had lived long enough to sing Reggae..., 13 April 2009
Nigel Siederer "Daydreamer" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Nash (Audio CD)
Johnny Nash was the first non-Jamaican to record in Jamaica, but you wouldn't learn about this rare cross-over distinction (or much else) from the bare 2-page liner note. Still, it's a very low-price CD and all the big hits (made from 1968 to 1975) are here: 'Hold me tight', 'I can see clearly now', 'Tears on my pillow'. In 1968, savvy West Indians were rightly raving about a new Rock Steady (as Reggae was then called) version of 'Cupid' months before it was released in the UK the following year. His 1973 version of Wonderful World is close to definitive. This guy sings Sam Cooke better than Sam Cooke, and that's saying something. You want soft-rock versions of three Bob Marley classics, they're here. Try 'Stir it up'. By 1977 he was scraping the barrel a bit with a reggae 'All I have to do is dream', but otherwise this is a great collection from an under-recognised singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Nash!, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
This is a good album for those who know his hit's but want more. The Cd was delivered prompt and on time, so I was able to add this great Cd to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
Love the music, and this compilation is great. Very glad I made the purchase to add to my collection. Great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›